All-New Jetta V - First Official Photos

• Thread starter pimp racer
  • 29 comments
Well its the new Jetta! I was exicited to hear about this and then I saw the pictures and to my disappointment IT SUCKS! WTF is up with the front VW? and why copy the rear lights from the Toyota Corolla? And the side looking like and Audi A4? HUH WHAT IS UP WITH THIS VW? This is truly a disapponitment (SP?) :ouch:

Volkswagen has released the first official photos of the all-new fifth generation Jetta. The Jetta V has grown larger in all dimensions, offers a range of new powerplants including an all-new 2.5l inline-5 cylinder and has an overall more upscale appearance that brings Volkswagen's new front end design language to a production model.

The Jetta has grown in size with the fifth generation model to an overall length of 179.3 inches, a width of 69.3 inches and a wheelbase stretched to 101.5 inches. That brings the overall length up 7.1 inches, width up 1 inch and the wheelbase a healthy 2.6 inches longer over the outgoing Jetta IV. We were given a sneak peak at the new Jetta V several months ago and first impressions are that it looks big but well proportioned. The longer wheelbase translates into significantly more rear seat room (nearly all of that 2.6 inches is in the back seat) and gone are the days that you have to worry about putting friends and family in the back seat - lots of room even for my 6 foot tall frame. Compared to other similar products, the Jetta V is 3.4 inches longer than the Volvo S40 and the same width as an Acura TSX.

The Jetta V will initially be offered early next year with an all-new 2.5l inline-5 cylinder derived from the V10 Lamborghini Gallardo engine. This engine will essentially be replacing the exising 2.0l 4-cylinder as the new base engine. Volkswagen says the new 2.5l inline-5 will make 150hp and 168 lb-ft. of torque and will be mated to either the MQ250 five-speed transmission or the butter smooth Aisin built six-speed tiptronic automatic. Volkswagen tells us the 2.5l inline-5 has been "detuned" to 150hp for a base engine configuration but is capable of a bit more horsepower, so there is plenty of room to grow with this new engine. There will also be a 100hp 1.9l TDI diesel option available with a five-speed manual or Volkswagen's trick six-speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) and finally the venerable 2.0l FSI 4-cylinder turbo with 200hp and a MQ350 six-speed manual or six-speed DSG (no tiptronic with the 2.0T) will be available in both higher trim level Jetta V models and in the forthcoming Jetta GLI model. There are no current plans to offer a VR6 model at this point although Volkswagen points out that it is still a possibility. So engine choices and particularly transmission choices look promising and we'll keep our fingers crossed for a 3.2l VR6 model with 4motion AWD.

The new Jetta V is also a recipient of the Golf V's vastly improved revised Macpherson strut front suspension and all-new full indepenent rear suspension. Coupled with a claimed 80% increase in overall chassis rigidity, the new Golf V both rides and handles wonderfully with virtually no dive, no squat and no roll even on base configurations. We expect the Jetta V will likewise handle and ride far better than the outgoing Jetta IV model.

Interior trim is similar to the Golf V layout but Volkswagen claims that quite a bit more soft-touch plastics were used in the Jetta V to up both the appearance and feel of the interior trim pieces. Controls are well laid out and ergonomics have improved with better seats, improved layout and use of controls and increased visability all around. Rear seat room as mentioned before is vastly improved with the new model and give the Jetta V a truly usable rear seat.

The exterior styling is a mix of unique Jetta V pieces largely grafted onto a pair of Golf V headlamps. While the headlamps are a departure from the typically square Jetta units, the unique front bumper, grill and chrome treatment along with the crease line running from the front fender to the rear quarter panel gives the Jetta a unique looks that is both a bit more imposing and more substantial in how the car sits on its wheels and appears in person. The trunk section is quite a bit longer than the outgoing Jetta and is finished off with a new tailamp design similar to the Concept R and likely to be seen on more new models in the future. Overall the chrome accents are tastefully done and look better integrated than they were on the Jetta IV giving the car a far more upscale look. If you like the photos, you'll like the car even more. If you aren't sure, seeing the car in person can really change your mind as it generally looks better in the flesh.

Volkswagen is assuring us that quality is very important with the new model. Significant investments in the millions were made both in Wolfsburg with the Golf V and in Mexico with the Jetta V to improve quality across the board. So far the Golf V has improved quite a bit over the Golf IV and Volkswagen has entire teams now dedicated to making constant improvements throughout the lifecycle of the products. Time will tell, but we've been impressed so far by what we hear and see going on.

The Jetta V will be shown publicly at the Los Angeles Auto Show in January followed by the Detroit Auto Show a week later. It will go on sale here in North America the 1st quarter of 2005 (in dealers in March as of this writing) with a price expected to be close to the outgoing Jetta IV model. Expect options to include both a sport line and a luxury line with aluminum trim, sport suspension and larger wheels on the sport line options and wood trim and more luxury features going the luxury option route. Navigation and high intensity discharge headlamps will also be available as an option so Volkswagen is addressing critism from existing owners that options available on German cars aren't available on North American models. Overall the packaging and trim levels look very promising.

For enthusiasts though, the Jetta GLI will be the one to watch. There hasn't been a bad review of the new Golf V GTI yet and everyone that drives it feels that the GTI is finally back. Building a Jetta GLI off the same recipe can only be a good thing for the rest of us. The Jetta GLI should be available some time in June or July of 2005.

Volkswagen of America press release follows below:

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – Volkswagen today released the first official photos of its all-new Jetta, which goes on sale this coming March in the U.S. and Canada.

The Jetta model is Volkswagen’s most popular in the U.S., accounting for about 40 percent of the brand’s overall volume in this market. It is perennially the number-one selling European nameplate sold in the U.S.

The photos released today show a completely redesigned Jetta sedan, and depict the fifth generation of the German automaker’s sedan that first went on sale in 1980 in the U.S.

Set to make its worldwide public debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show on January 5, 2005 where its price will also be announced, the new Jetta will be a significant evolution of this Volkswagen model that celebrates its 25th year in the U.S. and Canada in 2005. During that time, it has generated sales of more than 2.2 million units in those markets.

Like its predecessors, the new Jetta will offer a distinct choice in the compact sedan market. The new Jetta has bold dynamic styling and larger dimensions than its predecessor. As always, the Jetta’s styling, technology and European character will attract people who love to drive and desire something different. As expected, this sophisticated Jetta also offers traditional Volkswagen value for the money.

Since the Jetta’s introduction in 1980, this compact, affordable German sports sedan has evolved significantly with each new design. This new Jetta is no exception: it has grown in size from the previous model, while again offering a more advanced level of German engineering and technology that is unique in its competing market segment.

Drivers of the new Jetta will enjoy the model’s first fully independent suspension system that uses a multi-link rear and optimized front axle, a new powerful base engine with a larger displacement of 2.5 liters and five-cylinders generating 150 horsepower (versus a four-cylinder, 2.0-liter, 115 hp engine in the previous model), a new optional six-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic including a special “sport” mode selection.

In addition, later in the year, Volkswagen will offer its revolutionary transmission called DSG (TDI only), which is essentially an automated manual transmission system offering the inherent efficiency and economy of a manual with the ease of operation of an automatic. Also among the most impressive new driving advancements are a standard high-tech electro-mechanical steering system, a new technically advanced electronic stability program (ESP), and new-generation ABS all-disc brakes.

The new Jetta’s interior will be roomier than ever with a larger trunk and more legroom and occupant space. As one expects from a modern Volkswagen, the new Jetta will offer a highly refined interior treatment, with a long list of standard comfort and convenience features. Some of the safety features for the new Jetta include front side thorax airbags, Side Curtain Protection (for head) in front and rear, crash-active front headrests, crash-optimized foot pedals that descend upon serious impact, Daytime Running Lights (DRL), three-point safety belts at every position, adjustable headrests for all five occupants, front belt pre-tensioners with load limiters, and safety belts with emergency locking retractors complete this all-new Jetta sedan.

Built for worldwide distribution at Volkswagen’s high-tech production facility in Puebla, Mexico, the Jetta’s assembly process promises to set quality standards for this model segment. Volkswagen AG invested extensively to further advance the modern assembly sequences and technologies at its sole North American site—a facility that according to internal quality audits ranks as one of the Volkswagen Group’s top factories in the world.

The new Jetta has a stronger body than its predecessor, recording double-digit improvements in its dynamic and torsional rigidity. This is achieved through the use of more high-strength body panels, world-class design and engineering, and an advanced, highly automated, laser-welding system. The result is a dramatic increase in laser-welded seams--nearly 14 times more than the previous Jetta. The net benefit of this bonding process is a class-leading fit and finish, improved body strength, crash protection, driving dynamics, and reduced interior noise.

This all-new Jetta once again documents Volkswagen’s attention to detail, unique driving dynamics, high-energy looks and quality materials to match and exceed the expectations of the North American customer.

Volkswagen of America has set up a "teaser" website to receive more information on the new Jetta V. Included is this additional photo of the Jetta V outside in the real world:

j5_750.jpg
002__scaled_600_038.jpg
003__scaled_600_034.jpg
004__scaled_600_021.jpg
006__scaled_600_018.jpg
007__scaled_600_016.jpg
h-photo.jpg

Taken from - http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/volkswagen_news/article_1062.shtml

You can find more information on the VW website at: http://www.vw.com/itscoming/

Note that the design is only for the US-Spec Jetta. The new European Bora gets different styling:

11.jpg

22.jpg

I think the Bora's profile looks too much like the old Jetta, yet the front and rear of the Bora just look downright ugly. The Jetta on the otherhand, I think looks quite nice! The front end looks like a toned down version of the new Golf front end, which makes it actually looks good, and the rear lights actually remind me of the G35 a bit. Overall, I think it's a great design asthetically. And I'd also like to see what the new 5 cylinder engine can produce when tuned, since the press release does hint at it's tuning potential.

Ev0
I think the Bora's profile looks too much like the old Jetta, yet the front and rear of the Bora just look downright ugly. The Jetta on the otherhand, I think looks quite nice! The front end looks like a toned down version of the new Golf front end, which makes it actually looks good, and the rear lights actually remind me of the G35 a bit. Overall, I think it's a great design asthetically. And I'd also like to see what the new 5 cylinder engine can produce when tuned, since the press release does hint at it's tuning potential.
When I saw it from the front I thought it looked alright but then the rear man I mena how can you like that?

Almost the whole car reminds me of the Corolla. It doesn't say "VW", it says econobox.

Edit: Now I see a bit of the Malibu in the front

I like it. The headlights are a refreshing departure from the "peeled" look that every manufacturer is going for, and it ties in nicely with the upcoming Golf's front end (let's just hope they don't decide to remove that front panel to make a huge grille, like they've done with Audi). And I don't see why everybody keeps saying the rear lights look like the Corolla's – they look more like the Phaeton's to me, which is just perfect for branding purposes. And I love the limited but effective use of surface texturing on the side panels, without going nuts on the front and rear. I think it's a gorgeous design, aside from the dinky-looking wheels (seriously, those rear wheels look like they're going to be crushed).

Who the hell does inline 5s, other than Volvo? (Well, and now Chevy/GMC too.) And if they're going to stick in more than 4 cylinders, at least make it more than 150 hp. If they're dropping the VR6, I wonder if that means VW will back off of the W engines? Anyway, at least it's better than that 115 hp 4-cyl, and the 200 hp turbo looks to be fun.

I think VW has a hit on its hands. 👍 I missed any mention of price though… anyone know?

Well, Toyota's not the first to put round dots inside of the taillights. I still think it looks like the Phaeton taillights, with the addition of round protrusions.

I actually like the new design a lot 👍. Looks nice and fresh compared to the outgoing model.

The tails are definitely Corolla.

Why are they using a 1986ish California truck license plate?

Looks pretty boringly like just every other Jetta. Of course everyone here prefers the European version and thinks it's ugly, but that's not exactly a new phenomenon.

M5Power
Good eye! They did a good job of pulling the stickers off, unless they specifically held this license plate since then just for this car.

Ev0
004__scaled_600_021.jpg

XRS%2003.jpg

infiniti-g35c-052s.jpg

The tallights look like a cross between the Corolla and the G35 to me now actually...

Plus a little 5-series. Note the boot lid(around the logo) and bumper slit.

at least to me it looks quite good :sly:

M5Power
The tails are definitely Corolla.

Looks pretty boringly like just every other Jetta. Of course everyone here prefers the European version and thinks it's ugly, but that's not exactly a new phenomenon.
Yeah I do perfer the Euro version only because it has a different style of rear lights. I do like the new american version also though. Its not as bad as I was talking about in my first post. Everything looks a bit good except the rear lights

Sage
Good eye! They did a good job of pulling the stickers off, unless they specifically held this license plate since then just for this car.

They're all over eBay. Keep in mind, California uses two plates, so hypothetically the front one would be without stickers.

This is all moot, however, since the plate's fake - there aren't any bolt holes. Though I think it's a California sanctioned fake since it's so accurate - in the 1980s, California decided that because so many movies were shot in California they would allot a few series to be used solely in movies and never actually issue them. Consequently, many cars with California plates in movies have numbers that start with "2GAT" or "7" or "9". Of course, it won't be long before they do indeed get around to the 7 and 9, so we'll see if they issue them.

ultrabeat
This worries me about what the Passat will look like...

Remember the Jetta is now a bit bigger because its moved more upmarket. That means the rest of the VW range above that takes a hit. So whatever the Passat looks like, it'll be bigger.

But in my opinion, us Europeans seem to get the better deal styling wise. But I do wanna see what performance people get out of it.

Rossell
But in my opinion, us Europeans seem to get the better deal styling wise. But I do wanna see what performance people get out of it.

We do indeed.

Remember the Jetta is now a bit bigger because its moved more upmarket. That means the rest of the VW range above that takes a hit. So whatever the Passat looks like, it'll be bigger.

Heh. The Phaeton will be huge.

The whole size thing has got me thinking. Because of the VW Fox (which is the new Lupo replacement) being larger then the Lupo (and is now Polo size meaning the Polo replacement being bigger and so on) - then that leaves the gap for a new small car.

Very soon, we'll be creating new car models that are within a few millimetres difference of each other :ouch:

If cars keep getting bigger, what'll happen to the city car market?

Phew. I still want Arosas and Smarts when I'm old enough to drive.:)

I never really did like VW all that much but I don't like this car even more. They've lost something that was unique to the Jetta... now it's just another cookie cutter car. There's no distinction of a jetta anymore.

Back