• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 28 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
There are those who will either love or loathe a new gridiron football league like the Alliance of American Football. Or as it's commonly being called, the AAF. The league is set to play its first season in February 2019, a week after the Super Bowl. I decided to create a thread for this new series in case people want to discuss football in the AAF. Basic thoughts on this new league can be discussed in the meanwhile before a down is even played in the AAF.

So let's chat!

The AAF has selected all eight cities to campaign when the series debuts in 2019. The seven cities previously announced were Atlanta, Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and San Diego. That eighth city? San Antonio, Texas. As mentioned previously, the AAF begins its first season in 2019. So if you are interested, get ready for some AAF football now in these eight cities.

From time to time, CBS hints at their coverage of the AAF once the AAF starts playing its first games. I would at least check this out to see if this can make some good football post-Super Bowl.

Were you disappointed with Super Bowl LIII? Do you miss football? Good news for you- football is NOT dead! You don't have to wait until [at least] August for football because the AAF begins makes its maiden performance starting this Sunday!

If you want to follow and discuss the AAF, here is a great opportunity to get to experience this deal.

I’m ready! I’m an old guy, I was a teenager during the USFL & grew up in Birmingham Al. I was a huge Stallions fan. I really enjoy upstart leagues.

When the Alliance of Amercian Football debuts this weekend, we will be talking about these teams:

* Arizona Hotshots
* Atlanta Legends
* Birmingham Iron
* Memphis Express
* Orlando Apollos
* Salt Lake Stallions
* San Antontio Commanders
* San Diego Fleet

Since it will all be on CBS Sports, here is a link that explains everything beautifully about the AAF: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...for-new-alliance-of-american-football-league/ . It will be interesting to see how this series plays out. Not like I am expecting anything groundbreaking.

Given that it's not trying to be direct competition to the NFL and doesn't conflict with college football either, the odds of it surviving past the initial curiosity period seem better than average. Hopefully it doesn't just wind up as a haven for washed-up NFL players and can develop a distinct identity of its own.

Believe it or not, the debut of the Alliance of American Football is today! Tonight on CBS will be the San Diego Fleet at the San Antonio Commanders. I am guessing the hashtags for the AAF on social media are #AAF and #JoinTheAlliance .

Some see the AAF as another chance for some players to hopefully get into the NFL or back into the NFL. On that front, I found this article on Twitter courtesy of ESPN's Adam Schefter: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...can-football-hell-yeah-playing-football-again .

Should you be watching (or even caring) about the AAF, enjoy this weekend's games in the AAF's maiden season.

This is the first Sunday of Alliance of American Football, and I managed to see a lot of the San Diego at San Antonio game last night. There should have been a couple of touchdowns scored in the first three quarters, but it took the San Antonio Commanders until about the start of the 4th Quarter to finally hit pay dirt. San Antonio played some great defense in sacking San Diego and even picking off the Fleet. San Antonio would go on to hold serve at home and win over San Diego 15-6.

There a few things to note about the AAF. For one, there is no kickoff. The ball is placed on the opposing team's 25-yard line. If you score a touchdown, you MUST go for two. You can't simply just go for a safe point after touchdown. So this kind of play favors the bold.

The way the AAF seems to be structured, things range from trying to properly groom football players who probably weren't good enough to make it in the NFL or even those simply wanting another chance in pro-level football. That's the impression I got when I saw the AAF preview show last night with the likes of Bill Polian explaining everything. Something tells me the AAF could basically end up being borderline being its own version of the NBA's Developmental League (G-League nowadays) or even Minor League Baseball. Like, NFL teams could possibly use the AAF look for future or past talent. Or maybe the AAF could be like when players in baseball have rehab assignments in the Minor Leagues before returning to the main team. Also, this may be the perfect deal to enjoy pro-level football without the appeal of the NFL. All in all, I think the AAF is not going to be some passing fad in about 3-5 years.

Reviews seem mostly positive about the Alliance of American Football based on what I've seen on Twitter. So if you get a chance, check out an AAF game. At least you won't get any "No Fun League" thoughts in regards to the AAF.

I watched the Salt Lake Stallions play yesterday. It was surprisingly decent and I'm pretty sure I'll follow them. They play up at the University of Utah's football stadium too, so I'm sure I get discounted tickets through work. Might be worth going to a game or two, even if springtime in Utah means hot and sunny one day and cold and snowy the next.

Like I said, reviews seem to be mostly positive about the Alliance of American Football. I don't see this overtaking the NFL or even Arena Football. The AAF has a decent future should it continue to provide this rather fun style of Spring football. I will still watch basketball, hockey, and of course, motorsports; but I am rather interested in seeing more AAF football.

I guess I'll support the San Antonio Commanders since they are closest to me. But really, my fandom in the AAF is like the NHL- I don't have any real favorite team to follow but keep tabs on certain teams.

If you are following the Alliance of American Football, it is now Week 2 of the inaugural season of the AAF. This week's matches:

* Salt Lake at Birmingham
* Arizona at Memphis
* Orlando at San Antonio
* Atlanta at San Diego

Games are shown this season on a variety of networks. Among them: CBS, CBS Sports Network, TNT, the NFL Network, and some other channel I can't make out from an image. I don't think I am going to see too many of these AAF games. Since my parents switched from Dish to XFINITY, we don't get CBS Sports Network for free. So I'll have to look at YouTube highlights or something of AAF matches.

Right now my Raiders would make a perfect AAF Team, they just have all the credentians:

A head coach that was good back in the early 2000's but should have retired by now, a farce of a QB that just has numbers because of the happy pass era we are living in currently, a talent-less roster with a ton of no-name players and the zombified corpses of Beastmode and Jordy Nelson hanging around just to sell a few jerseys...

I think the Alliance of American Football has a handful of cities they can choose from that don't have any real major sports markets. I remembered once seeing someone on Twitter talk about certain cities that could be fine candidates for possible future AAF teams. Most AAF teams so far are mostly major cities without any kind of NFL teams. About Atlanta and Arizona are the only exceptions. Now, sure- the AAF has to get its bearings going before thinking about any real expansion. However, if all is played well, the AAF could expand and really become its own league with its own personality in places not with any real NFL market. Even those with good NFL markets can still have some quality football with the AAF without really needing any NFL team.

Part of me says a handful of major and mid-major markets and cities will comprise most of the AAF teams. I can think of a lot of different cities that could be good expansion candidates, but that list is still mostly incomplete- and I have a LOT to different cities to mention as expansion candidates. I actually do want the AAF to succeed because I do see potential in it. How far it can go for years to come remains to be seen.

What has the Alliance of American Football been up to lately? Well, here are the standings after the completion of Week 6:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE ---
Orlando (5-1), Birmingham (4-2), Atlanta (2-4), Memphis (1-5)

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
San Antonio (4-2), San Diego and Arizona (3-3 each), Salt Lake (2-4)

If you want AAF highlights, I found you can check out highlights on YouTube from the NFL's YouTube channel. I don't have CBS Sports Network anymore since my parents moved to XFINITY. I heard Bleacher Report Live shows AAF games. I might look into that.

Is the Alliance of American Football doomed (again)? According to this report, the AAF is having trouble trying to spring a deal between itself and the NFLPA to use some of the NFL's young talent to help out certain rosters. I originally didn't want to post this because I had trouble trying to load up this link, but here is a look at the latest issue the AAF faces: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...tball-aaf-tom-dundon-future-nflpa/3287922002/ . According to some other report I read, the AAF is safe for now.

I think the AAF has a decent future. However, they need to get their structuring together to prevent the league from going under.

Yesterday, TNT shown Orlando at Memphis. The draw to this one was Johnny Manziel playing at QB for the Memphis Express. "Johnny Football" had to leave the game after getting knocked in the head after throwing an interception trying to tackle the interceptor. The Memphis Express defeated the Orlando Apollos 34-31.

Tree'd, I know. But...

Apparently, the Alliance of American Football... is dead. If not dead, then at least on life support. Operations were suspended recently with eight weeks outside of the possible ten weeks of its inaugural (and perhaps only) season. I had to be careful mentioning this because yesterday was April Fool's Day. So you can't take most April Fool's Day stuff for gospel. However, it was yesterday or so when there was word of the AAF going away or suspending its operations.

If all of this is true... how will you remember the AAF?

As a failed attempt to supplant the NCAA. Unless the AAF can directly replace the NCAA, a minor league system won't work.

The gap between each NFL season has become more painful to deal with. The draft coverage is just too much and all the shows that surround it are unwatchable (I miss the old days when only Rich Eisen and just a few other guys were the entire NFL Network).

Because of that, I found the AAF as a much needed relief. The quality of the games was decent, and TBH anything is better that the so called "Professional" Mexican (American) Footbal League, the LFA.

Really, look for it, we have a professional Football League. Compare the 2 of them and you'll see that the difference is inmense, like comparing a Rolls Royce Cullinan to a spoon.

I thought I saw on the bottom crawl of ESPN where the players had to pay for their own transportation home. Maybe that's standard when a league folds?

So basically it sounds like it was the same thing that happened with the USFL. Will this Tom Dundon guy who bought in just to pick a fight with the NFL run for president in 30 years?

Steve Spurrier, coach of the Orlando Apollos, wanted some credit for coaching his Orlando Apollos to the league's best record, and should therefore be champion of the now-folded Alliance of American Football. Would you show some love for or acknowledge the Orlando Apollos as champs of a now-defunct league?

Steve Spurrier, coach of the Orlando Apollos, wanted some credit for coaching his Orlando Apollos to the league's best record, and should therefore be champion of the now-folded Alliance of American Football. Would you show some love for or acknowledge the Orlando Apollos as champs of a now-defunct league?
It's completely irrelevant.

Back