Alpina Australia- About, daggone, time...

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 24 comments
Australia
Australia
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/6248B4DEAAEACB1FCA258076001E23E6
Alpine fresh: Alpina-fettled BMWs have hit Australian shores available across the 3 and 4 Series range in sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon body styles
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Alpina_B3_BiTurbo_main.jpg

Alpina XD3

Right-hand drive markets, like Australia, will be offered a twin-turbo version of the diesel that produces 246kW/700Nm and is capable of reaching 100km/h in just 4.9 seconds before topping out at 254km/h.
Frustratingly, if you drive on the right, left-hand XD3’s come with both more power and torque.

That’s because Alpina was able to package the mightier quad-turbo version of the 3.0-litre under the XD3’s bonnet.
Producing a more muscular still 286kW/770Nm, the mid-size XD3 is capable of a swifter still 4.6 second 0-100km/h sprint and a 266km/h top speed.
xd3-v.jpg

xd3-ii.jpg

Besides the power output and the name, what is so special about the Alpina?
For me, it was first knowing about them back in the mid-eighties. The B6 3 series had a 3.5L motor where it normally came with a 2.5. I mean, putting a big motor like that in a small car the size of a Jetta(which I had a VR6 put in my own Jetta later in life), was bonkers.

Alpina is sort of like the old AMG and Ruf. Like, how do you upgrade a BMW Motorsport car? Take it to Alpina.

Besides the power output and the name, what is so special about the Alpina?

Not as much as there used to be. Alpina's of the past evolved from tuning packages for BMW's, to be much more complete products, with their own personality and traits. What then kicked it up a level, for me, was that they'd go about things in a very different way, delivering something like the B8 4.6 or the B10 Bi-Turbo as a complete package. The B8 was unique in being a V8 powered E36, the Bi-Turbo unique in being the Turbocharged alternative to an M5 when M cars were strictly naturally aspirated. Then there was the B6S, which was an inline 6 M3 before M3's had inline 6's. Sure, lots of tuners would sell you bits and pieces or do the work, but not presented as a finished item, with its own unique styling, interior trim, suspension upgrades etc.

Things started to get a bit tamer on the engine front, but they still did interesting things that BMW weren't doing. In the absence of things like M3 or M5 tourers, or a high performance "M7", Alpina would have an offering.

Nowadays Alpina don't really offer anything truly unique, with the products mostly being analogous to M-Performance products. Which is a shame. Although Alpina is its own company, the products mostly roll of a BMW production line... it's still a great opportunity to offer a product that BMW can't justify the business case for.... but that's not how they're using it. It's treated largely as a trim level now.

Cars like the rumoured Alpina i8 would have been ideal to inject a little bit of differentiation into the brand, but still, I'd like to see them going back to making more unique things... perhaps even going a step further and entirely rebodying a car as an Alpina only model, along the lines of the AMG GT-4 Door.

The problem is at that kind of money you're not far away from a 911.

And while I do like BMW 3 series the reality is your $155k car is still built on the same chassis as a $50k BMW 320i.

Yes I know this is a shock to some Americans. Outside of the US base model BMW Audi Mercedes compact sedans start at AUD$50k and that's a special introductory price on what is a Munich taxi spec. sedan.

I really like FR type cars... especially mid ship types like the R35 and the old Corvettes.

HOWEVER... the more you pay the more you want something special.

And something special is a mid engined or rear engined car (well a Porsche in other words).

I do like M3s I do like M5s and the AMG C63 coupes but really... if you ask big money then you better deliver something ground up that's special.

Something on a BMW 3 platform isnt special enough for that kind of money.

I feel its about if you want that car from Munich, you'll probably not be cross shopping with something from Stuttgart. If you get my meaning. Especially if you want a wagon.

Then, it becomes, do I get an old M5 V10 estate? If someone is looking in these price ranges, probably not.

The problem is at that kind of money you're not far away from a 911.

So, I know Australia has some crazy import taxes, but a 911 is >AU$265,000, a 3 series based B3 is going to be... call it AU$150,000 (The B4S Bi-Turbo coupe is probably more likely to be cross shopped with a 911...). The Porsche is 76% more expensive than the B4?

Back