Alpina B8 (E36) 4.6 Coupe 1995

Discussion in 'Cars' started by MatskiMonk, Aug 5, 2014.

1. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

This suggestion is for the Alpina B8 4.6 Coupe, based on the E36 generation of BMW 3 Series.

The first "Factory" V8 engined 3 series

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Based on the E36 328i, the Alpina B8 4.6 was offered as a Saloon, Coupe, Tourer and Cabriolet.

It utilised a heavily reworked BMW M60/M62 4.0 V8, re-designated as F2/1 by Alpina. A new, specially cast engine block was fitted, raising the displacement up to the specified 4.6 litres (4619cc), new pistons, valve timing, exhaust, catalysts and engine management were fitted, along with a custom sump and oil-pump. Alpina also worked their magic uprating the suspension and brakes, and the gearbox was a 6MT from Getrag. The interior and exterior were dressed with the usual Alpina goodies.

A 313bhp B8 4.0 was developed, but only 5 sold, and these all went to Japan.

Rumour has it, when Alpina asked for BMW's permission to fit a V8 into the E36 body shell, BMW dismissively agreed saying "If you can make it fit, you can do it", believing it was not possible to fit the V8 in to a series production E36 body... well, they did, and the B8 4.6 was the result.

Performance:
    Power - 333bhp @ 5700rpm
    Torque - 470 Nm @ 3900rpm
    0-62.7mph (100km/h) - 5.6s Coupe & Saloon, 5.8s and 5.7s for the Convertible and Tourer respectively
    Top Speed - 170mph+ depending on the body style.

Production:
    78 Coupes (221 units between 1995-1998, across all body styles)

http://www.alpina-archive.com/?page_id=59
    http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/en/models-alpina/historic-models/bmw-3-series/e36.html
    http://www.thealpinaregister.com/B8
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpina

And now for some videos:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. GBalao888

GBalao888

Tuned M3 E36= instant vote. It's one of these retro BMW's that I like, asides from the M3 E30.

3. StarLight

StarLight

Sorry, but you have a coupe, a saloon, a tourer and a convertible picture ... in the same thread.
    Should be better to place the right picture so people don't get confused and the thread not closed.

4. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

@GBalao888 The B8 was actually based on the lowly 328i, rather than the M3, since pretty much everything that made the M3 an M would have been chucked away in favour of Alpina's specified parts. I believe the rear brakes came from the M3, but that was about it.

Fair comment, I'd not really decided which model I'd rather nominate anyway :D I've edited the title to reflect the Coupe as the suggestion...

... but in the spirit of many other threads (such as the E36 M3 thread :)), these are some pictures of related models that people may also like...

B8 4.6 Saloon:
    [​IMG]

B8 4.6 Tourer:
    [​IMG]

B8 4.6 Convertible:
    [​IMG]

5. StarLight

StarLight

Why does the Alpina cars get so few likes those days.
    They are as good, as every BMW!
    :tup:

6. nick77

nick77

Agreed, should be more votes, maybe people don't realise that Alpina is a car manufacturer in its own right

MatskiMonk and StarLight like this.
  7. StarLight

StarLight

Maybe you like this Alpina too? :O

[​IMG]

JKgo and MatskiMonk like this.
  8. SCER

SCER

Alpina = insanely cool = automatic like

CashFrank likes this.
  9. CashFrank

CashFrank

Maybe we can get some more likes here ;)

MatskiMonk likes this.
  10. JKgo

JKgo

HOW DID THEY SHOEHORN A 4.6 V8 IN A E36 3 SERIES????? Insane. Definitely my kind of car. Voted. Can I vote again? :tup::tup::tup:

MatskiMonk, CashFrank and StarLight like this.