Alpine's A220 Race Car in GT7 got me in false advertising

• Thread starter EaTStu
  • 18 comments
United States
United States
black-sushi-bat
In the legendary cars catalog, I was browsing through the car selections and found one that piqued my interest; A le mans car that participated in rally. I'm a big fan of rally cars, and seeing as though something for the prestigious 24h Le mans in RALLY? Thats utterly ridiculous, and I wanted to test it out. However, when i got to the tuning shop, i couldn't add dirt tires. If I'm told this car went rallying, and I can't do that, Why would you tell me that? Why can't i just use comfort tires or something for rally races? It's so dumb!

I haven't read it myself but is there an error? It was driven by rally drivers at Le Mans but I don't believe it ever actually went rallying.

If it ever did go rallying I'd imagine it was only on tarmac rallies in France, not on dirt.

:)

a220.jpg

Why did you assume that a rally is always disputed on dirt/snow roads?

There are several blue ribbon rallies that are raced on tarmac roads exclusively, like Tour de Course (F), Rallye Sanremo (I), Ypres Rally (B), Rally Japan (J). So it was usual in the past cars racing in Tour de Course or Sanremo and nowhere else because it simply wouldn't be competitive anywhere else. One very good example was the BMW M1, a track minded car that raced Le Mans but also participated on Tour de Course. But no one ever saw a M1 on dirt tires or on a dirt/snow surfaced rally.

Some countries even have separated championships for tarmac and dirt rallies, like France.
The Alpine A220 indeed raced on rallies, as you can see on this photo, from a tarmac surfaced rally, the Critérium des Cévennes:
7f243ac24449470fae85a1f9404053ad.jpg

Second thing, Gran Turismo doesn't have "rally races". They have circuit racing on dirt surface tracks.
Rally are raced against the clock, one car each time, winning which one sets the fastest time, not a field of cars winning which one crosses the finish line first. The stuff we have in GT7 is something similar to Autocross (closed circuit dirt surface, the more popular Ralicross is raced on tracks with both dirt and tarmac sections).
So, no one can go rallying in Gran Turismo 7. Well except Musical Rally where you effectively race against the clock and I think is the only race where the "rally" word is used, otherwise only references to rally cars, pointing to Group B cars.

Still shocking that this car only costs 300k. As far as I know, this car definitely didn't race in the dirt, but it could've done runs on asphalt public roads, which as stated above, is also considered Rally.

With 300hp, it may not look like much power... But with it's weight on F1 levels at 600+kg... The car is actually a little beast.

Still shocking that this car only costs 300k. As far as I know, this car definitely didn't race in the dirt, but it could've done runs on asphalt public roads, which as stated above, is also considered Rally.

With 300hp, it may not look like much power... But with it's weight on F1 levels at 600+kg... The car is actually a little beast.
As I said elsewhere race cars don't usually fetch as much as you'd think, with a few exceptions. Usually the very old 50s and 60s cars.

GT4 BMW for £60,000

Ligier LMP2 for €390,000

Dallara F3 for £25,000

Porsche 962C for €1M

A 2005 original GP2 car for just £119,000

Even old F1 cars you can pick up for far less than you'd think. Arrows A20, albeit rebuilt and not the original engine, only £335,000

Or a Minardi for £425,000

I would imagine it's related to how unusable they are unless you have access to your own private race track, and with some of the cars, the astronomical costs of keeping them running.

Mind you, it still went for less than I expected.

Last edited:
I suppose its because the A220 wasn't very successful, unlike a lot of other older racecars feartured in GT.

This particular A220 featured I think is the only remaining short tail fully original A220 racing car, I also think its road registered.

Here's a brief history of the Alpine 220 at leMans:
I remembered reading somewhere how this car was a a total flop at LeMans. They entered 4 cars only one managed to to finish. It was considered unreliable and underpowered at least for LeMans. Mind you this is coming after they changed the regulations where the protoytpe's engines were limited to a displacement of 3 L so Ferrari and Ford didn't participate. AFter 1969 the A220 program was abandoned and Alpine focused on rallying. Interesting read the link I posted is short one, there are some other more in detail stories about A220 on the net

I'm going to take it out for a spin. It looks agile and yet muscular in all the right ways. Keep your 20,000,000 wagons. Here is a classic car I can appreciate. I like all the Alpines in the game. What a great marque.

Rally stuff apart, still a legendary bargain at just 300k.

300hp to 670kg, took it for a spin at Deep Forest on original tires, the comfort soft, what a car.

Unfortunately, being a Race Car, can't be raced on most of the currently available races.

EDIT: And the cockpit view. For those who want to start using it but feel the field of view becomes too restricted by windshield/door pillars, just try this car, except for the Hud, almost a complete unobstructed field of view

Last edited:
Rally stuff apart, still a legendary bargain at just 300k.

300hp to 670kg, took it for a spin at Deep Forest on original tires, the comfort soft, what a car.

Unfortunately, being a Race Car, can't be raced on most of the currently available races.

EDIT: And the cockpit view. For those who want to start using it but feel the field of view becomes too restricted by windshield/door pillars, just try this car, except for the Hud, almost a complete unobstructed field of view

Did you beat the menu? Plenty of events for race cars are unlocked at that point. WTC 600/700/800 events as well as those championships.

I also tried it at Deep Forest. It navigates the final hairpin better than just about any car I've driven. 👍

Last edited:
WTC 600/700/800 events as well as those championships.
For people like me who love to tune the hell out of things and make them perfect, often times the PP limit is too low and i end up having to *De*tune it, which stinks. but fun car nonetheless

For people like me who love to tune the hell out of things and make them perfect, often times the PP limit is too low and i end up having to *De*tune it, which stinks. but fun car nonetheless

With racing tires it seems well suited for WTC 700 events but I have yet to try it in one.

kjb
Here's a brief history of the Alpine 220 at leMans:
I remembered reading somewhere how this car was a a total flop at LeMans. They entered 4 cars only one managed to to finish. It was considered unreliable and underpowered at least for LeMans. Mind you this is coming after they changed the regulations where the protoytpe's engines were limited to a displacement of 3 L so Ferrari and Ford didn't participate. AFter 1969 the A220 program was abandoned and Alpine focused on rallying. Interesting read the link I posted is short one, there are some other more in detail stories about A220 on the net
I was really hoping that there were tuning/GT Auto options to give the car the LM long tail, it's exceptionally pretty.

Try making a PP target part of your perfection. Otherwise you might be tuning for time trials and hot laps but you are not tuning to race. Arguably chucking everything at the car and then making it handle as well as possible is less of a tuning feat than race prep tuning.

Back