Am I a good driver??

  • Thread starter Thread starter s15specr
  • 22 comments
  • 1,854 views
Messages
631
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I this may sound like a stupid question but am i a good driver??

I did a race in a nissan GTR(hardly ever drive it) on pro with the tyres set to
S3 - S3 with the TCS set to 2, ASM on, on fuji F and got a time of 1.45'57 using sixaxis.

is that good or bad?

edit: i put the wrong time in
 
Last edited:

Sorry, no.

EDIT:

Easiest way to check is to see how far off the online records you are, just do the same in time trial and you should get a pretty good idea.

ASM really slows you down though, so it probably wasn't a great time, sorry.
 
Last edited:
Its a meh.

Is this online?

My first try with Sixaxis was a late 1'46.
I dont like the slowness of the race plus the punters so I dont bother :dopey:


ASM off all aids off minus ABS
 
1'47.5 is what I can do with G25, pro-mode and no other aids than ABS..
 
no point in being so blunt.

It is a bit hard to judge exactly how quick you are with having assists on. generally they do slow you down so it would be best to practice with no tcs and no asm on. Compare your time to that of the leaderboards in the game (using same car and same tyres). If you see you are close then you are good. If not, then practice wouldn't hurt.
 
my time was 1.45'516 (put the wrong time in on the first post) and it was an offline race. I don't put my ps3 online yet so i can't tell
 
1'45 is good.

I hear people doing 1'42's... :indiff:
 
Turn off everything (ABS is acceptable) and have it on pro.
 
thanks for all the replys, just wondering that's all ;) . And without ASM on i just spin on every coner unless am doing 20 mph...
 
Be smooth with the controls. It takes practice, but its alot better once they are all turned off.

Do you use the buttons or the analog stick?
 
Try swapping to using the sticks. Gives you alot more control with finer movements. Will feel abit werid abit first but you can adjust brakes / throttle and steering ALOT better than with the buttons.

This will be why you are spinning out with ASM off. The voilent movements of using the buttons throws the car around.

Give it a try
 
1'45 is good.

I hear people doing 1'42's... :indiff:

I know one of them personally, and to my amazement, he doesn't have a Ps3, and can only play GT5:P at MY house.. so I assume I've been at all his practice sessions.

I showed him a time of 1'43'58 (quite excitedly, too) and he dismandled it by doing 1'42'12 on his third attempt. :yuck:
 
Try swapping to using the sticks. Gives you alot more control with finer movements. Will feel abit werid abit first but you can adjust brakes / throttle and steering ALOT better than with the buttons.

This will be why you are spinning out with ASM off. The voilent movements of using the buttons throws the car around.

Give it a try

+1.

Also, being a good driver isn't just about how fast you can go around a track, so we can't really judge before we have seen you drive in an online race. :)

But first things first. Just turn off all aids except for ABS and try using the sticks. You'll have to adjust (and probably go off a lot), but once you get the hang of it you'll enjoy it more. 👍
 
Try swapping to using the sticks. Gives you alot more control with finer movements. Will feel abit werid abit first but you can adjust brakes / throttle and steering ALOT better than with the buttons.

This will be why you are spinning out with ASM off. The voilent movements of using the buttons throws the car around.

Give it a try

Yeah thats absolutley right, turn off all aids and use the sticks, I agree it is tough at first but just you wait till you get use to it, you will be FAR faster than you use to be, its almost garanteed!:D
Rusty*
 
Try swapping to using the sticks. Gives you alot more control with finer movements. Will feel abit werid abit first but you can adjust brakes / throttle and steering ALOT better than with the buttons.

This will be why you are spinning out with ASM off. The voilent movements of using the buttons throws the car around.

Give it a try

+2

Also you could begin to practice the sticks with cars a little slower than the GT-R just to get a general feel of the thing, no point in having the full enchilada from the get-go, grab a Mini and practice and move up to faster cars.
 
Last edited:
If you have aids cranked way up (they must go that high for a reason), you will see how they are inhibiting you. If you have them set low (TSC: 1 or 2) and are able to notice how they are holding you back, then you are competent enough to run without them. If you don't have the confidence and competence to run without a net, then use TC to help you learn where your mistakes are. You'll see red on the throttle gauge. You will learn how to ease into the throttle and become less and less dependent.

If you get a wheel someday and get used to it, going back to a controller will be a train wreck! On tracks I know, I can't stay off the walls or out of the kitty litter using the sticks!

ASM inhibits WAY TOO much to be useful at all, unless you are brand new to racing games.

I think it would be great if PD could have driver aids as accurate as they are in the real cars. Nissan put a lot of technology into the GTR and I really wonder at what level of driver aids are we using that same level of tech Nissan put into that car. Same with the 430 and Z06.
 
And without ASM on i just spin on every coner unless am doing 20 mph...

Hm, that pretty much somehow answers your question.
 
your title is "am I a good driver" but you and everyone else are talking about how fast you are. Should be titled am I a fast driver because in my opinion there's a lot of difference between a good and a fast driver.
A good driver could be slow but knows what's happening around him, knows how and when to overtake and is not always about speed.
There's a lot of fast drivers online who are always on the podium but the way they get there is by punting their way through the field and then pulling away fast, does this make them a good driver , fast or a cheater.
 
i've finaly got my ps3 online. online play is pretty good. i've been playing with ASM of and am fully used to it how. the nissan gt-r rule when ASM & TCS are off.
 
Now that you are racing online,we will se if you are a "good" or "fast" driver.:)
Goodluck with your online races and if you have any questions,just ask.👍
 
Now that you are racing online,we will se if you are a "good" or "fast" driver.:)
Goodluck with your online races and if you have any questions,just ask.👍

thanks man, i think online play pretty decent, it's had loads of bad comments but i love it!
 
Back