Am I Crazy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter X3N0D3ATH
  • 7 comments
  • 893 views
Messages
23
United States
United States
Messages
X3N0D3ATH-
Outside of the flood of immediate yeses I expect to get. I noticed something. JDM cars most are listed at 276 HP because of the Japanese laws restricting HP I get that but either I am crazy or something because sometimes when I buy a 276 HP JDM it jumps up anywhere from 20-50 HP when I go to get in it. I have never used that car before. I.E. Lan-Evo VI GSR T.M. '00 276 HP Dealer, purchased not used, now 311 HP. Torque jumped up to 302 from 275 ft-lb.
 
You're not crazy. It hasn't increased, it's just listed incorrectly in the dealerships I believe (to do with and conform to said laws/agreement and the fact that the manufacturers were dishonest with their cars power output).
 
You're not crazy. It hasn't increased, it's just listed incorrectly in the dealerships I believe (to do with and conform to said laws/agreement and the fact that the manufacturers were dishonest with their cars power output).

I'm of the opinion that they put restrictor on their engines. You can't keep pushing torque year after year without raising the HP. So even though the torque gets raised they're restricted either physically or electronically. When you purchase it, the restriction is removed. I bought an evo IV and it dropped 3 HP and about 10 ft-lbs of torque afterwards, never used. So I guess it can go both ways.
 
Last edited:
I was led to believe it's more like:

For example.

Honda: Hey Nissan, what BHP does your new car have?

Nissan: 276. As we all agreed.

Honda: Oh okay then. *leaves*

Nissan: Hah! They believed us! Make it 290 boys.

The manufacturers went back on the agreement and made cars with more power than they said they would. They'd advertise the car with 276HP but in actuality they'd have more, or less in some cases.

As I say this is what I'm led to believe. I could very well be misinformed though, in which case I apologise for the duff information and await correction.
 
Wasn't this the case with motorcycles as welll a few years ago (maybe even still uphold by some companies) for not creating bikes that could go faster then 300 km/h stock? (I believe it started with the Fireblade / R1 battles when they were introduced).

So the story from @86Debris86 sounds very viable!
 
Yeah, and with the 100hp barrier in the eighties too. In Germany the authorities introduced a limit of 100hp on motorcycles, and the manufacturers - fearing this legislation to spread - started listing all bikes to have no more than 100hp. It lasted for a few years, until it became clear, that the legislation wasn't going to spread, and that Germany would also drop the rule, then bikes suddenly started having more power again :-)
 
Back