Am I taking it TOO easy?

• Thread starter VQ35
  • 11 comments
My online ID is jvkennedy. I've been running beginner Suzuka over and over just to get used to the online madness. I am very cautious not to run into the back of anyone. I always take it real easy into turn 1 and chaos ensues all around me. I always try to stay off the racing line because I know the crazies are coming up behind me. I won 5 out of the 20-something races I ran last night and I attribute it to taking more of a defensive stance rather than going out and attacking the track. I need to find balance. How are those of you looking for a clean race finding this balance between defensiveness and being more aggresive?

I pretty much exclusively race 750PP Expert Suzuka, and have found starting from the rear of the grid and picking my way through ensures an easy top 3 finish.

I too race pretty conservatively (i.e. giving space, breaking earlier when chasing), and have found it to be pretty successful. I'm a slow-and-steady type of racer :P

For me, I would try my best to stay away from the crowd when entering the first corner, especially for the Suzuka Circuit. After the first corner, some of the crazy drivers will be gone (into the sand) and I can slowly speed up my pace to catch the leading car. :D
When entering a corner wheel-to-wheel with another driver, I usually give him/her enough room. If the car besides me passed me from the inside/outside, I'd try to run a bit wider to give room for them and wait until a safe place to pass them again. :)

ps: I always play PRO races in Suzuka, in the JPN version of GT5P. ;)

I've raced about 5 times online now, and every time, I go all out to win - purely because once you're in front, you can let everyone bump each other off the track behind you. Also, I personally don't think I'd enjoy sitting back - it's a race, go all out and enjoy rubbing the cheater's faces in it! :)

My first couple of results were: 1st Race: 2nd, 2nd Race: 1st. In both cases, everyone else was too busy playing bumper cars to make a proper, sporting race of things. If you start in a low grid position, still try and go all out to win and if armageddon breaks out in front of you, just try and keep to the absolute edges of the track on the racing line (always keep at least 2 wheels on the circuit though, otherwise you're just taking a naughty shortcut) and you may just be able to slip past. That's how I do things anyway.

By racing cleanly with an attacking attitude and finishing so high, I'd like to think of it as a statement of "You don't win by shunting others." ;)

I tend to approach online GT5P the same as any walk of life - I'm a nice guy but if you start a fight I'll quite happily send you to the dentist!

If someone hard tackles me or zig zags about like a **** trying to block a legitimate overtake the gloves come off and I'll use them as mobile armco on the next fast bend.

John Buffum says, "In like a Lamb, Out like a Lion." :)

Just stay on the guys in front of you at a steady pace, the pressure alone pushes 85% of the people to a mistake. The rest will make that mistake sooner or later regardless. Just race clean, consistency is the key. ;)

I know a lot has been made of the chaotic 1st turn at Suzuka but I have honestly never had a problem with being taken out there. I get taken out more by being blocked on the backstretch. I always start mid-pack, and making it through turn one is simple. Brake late, and quickly move to the inside. All the punters will be carrying too much speed take such a tight line, and you'll make it through no problem. I honestly don't remember the last tiem I was taken out in turn one and I race Suzuka 750pp almost exclusively at least 50 times a day.

I see w people are saying about being fair with the racing line and my view on it is you have your racing line and you go for that everytime and try to stick on it with as much speed as you can. if there is someone in your way then avoid them if you can. Even if someone is being a dick to me i dont ever try and get my own back and ram them off the track or use them as the armco as this really isnt good racing sportsmanship. If they are that bad then they will spin off and lose it at some point anyway.
Stick to your line and hold it but dont ram people or knowck into the side of them.

If you're racing in the beginner class then you can afford to push a little harder as the handling is very forgiving. Plus, as long as you avoid the muppets that extra bit of pace will result in a lot more race wins, and once you know the circuits well you can move to the intermediate class and eventually to the expert, by which time your skills should be well developed.

I usually sit back and follow the guy in front and try to stay close, give some room on corner entry then take advantage of that with a higher exit speed to pull back up on his/her bumper. If I know I'm faster and I'm in a proper position and corner to make a pass attempt, if all looks good I'll take it. Normally though I don't have to as a lot of drivers push to hard with me that close and eventually make a mistake. The only problem I've had with this is sometimes I get stuck behind some one thats really off pace and doesn't have much control. there sliding all over the place so I don't want to try to go buy and get slammed, so I wait till they go off. However sometimes the guy behind me cant do anything but go all out, and ends up running over me. Quite often this ends up in all 3 of us going off. So mostly I take a Conservative/defensive stance as most drivers, including my self often succumb to the pressure and make a mistake.

I try to race conservatively and defensively in the public races. More times than not, I just wait for the driver ahead to make the inevitable mistake. That's why I hardly ever get taken out at T1 Suzuka. I go through pretty slow on the first lap to avoid the carnage.

In tournament/league races, I have always been slightly more aggressive because I am racing against more experienced and predictable drivers who won't shunt you off the track on a whim.

Back