Am I the only one...

  • Thread starter Thread starter xStretch-
  • 26 comments
  • 2,442 views
Messages
924
Cyprus
North London
Messages
StretchY-
Well I have been a big GT fan since day 1 and I have brought all the GT's.

There is this one thing I can't comprehend, I looked at the price of the DLC for the latest track to be added to the store and it was around £5 for one track. I love the game, I play it as often as I can, I compete with some of the fastest drivers on the game and I have lots of fun but that is a bit of a joke to charge that much money for a track.

People might think it's only £5 so just buy it but the principle is the main issue here. I paid £40 for the game and I personally felt it was unfinshed and so flawed but I still loved it. I felt it lacked a good number of tracks and I was hoping that they would give us some free DLC when they got round to making the tracks.

Am I the only one who thinks its a joke that they charge 1/5th of the games price for one track what is not really that great in all honesty. I don't have a job at the momment so spending money on things like games is something I can't do at the moment.
If it was a pack of tracks like Silverstone, Brands, Donington etc, so 3-5 tracks then I would kind of comprehend paying the money but for one track? Come on PD...

Anyway post your thoughts on this, I would like to hear what others think.

Please keep this topic serious and avoid stupid digs.
 
1) it would be a good idea in the future to actually include the topic in the topic title.

2) this has been discussed to death when Motegi came out.
Use the search and you'll know what the public thinks about it.

In case you are wondering, I think the price is fine.
 
First of all: 5 is one eighth of 40, not one fifth.

Second: it's four tracks (3 layouts plus the oval) for your money.

Third: it's totally worth it.
 
This is the way of gaming today. Companies exist to make a profit. You can either buy the product, or don't.
 
This is the way of gaming today. Companies exist to make a profit. You can either buy the product, or don't.

Thanks for a serious answer.

Yeah I know its the way it is today, Call of Duty for example, they make the maps before release, take them out of the game and just sell them as DLC to make more money when it could have been free on release.

I just expected better from PD.

On the "its 3 tracks comment" Its one track, regardless of how many layouts.

On the "Job" comment, I'm a student and trying to find work to fit in your hours of studying isn't easy. What I'm trying to do is get a licence to work for a security firm at night :p.
 
This has been discussed before. Everyone defines value differently. Considering how much I play, $5 is a fantastic bargain when compared to other forms of entertainment.
 
Thanks for a serious answer.

Yeah I know its the way it is today, Call of Duty for example, they make the maps before release, take them out of the game and just sell them as DLC to make more money when it could have been free on release.

I just expected better from PD.

On the "its 3 tracks comment" Its one track, regardless of how many layouts.

On the "Job" comment, I'm a student and trying to find work to fit in your hours of studying isn't easy. What I'm trying to do is get a licence to work for a security firm at night :p.

Didn't mean to sound harsh with my comment btw, it's just that you can't expect anything for nothing in this world. Anyway, sounds like you're on the right track.
 
Didn't mean to sound harsh with my comment btw, it's just that you can't expect anything for nothing in this world. Anyway, sounds like you're on the right track.

Haha yeah I totally understand :P

Well, the point I'm making is, for £5 why not put a few more in for better value, I would buy it if it was worth it but not for one track.
 
Haha yeah I totally understand :P

Well, the point I'm making is, for £5 why not put a few more in for better value, I would buy it if it was worth it but not for one track.
You seldom get the value of content from DLC as you do with the game itself. I remember one developer a few years ago state they usually expect at best 10% of those who bought the game to buy DLC. This means those who wants DLC has to pay a little more for less content.
 
I had no problem with the last DLC, it's a full track complex, not just 1 layout. 4 tracks for $5 was a lot more bang for your buck then the one with Spa and Kart Place
 
The only DLC that I didn't buy was the TC car pack. That was a legitimate rip-off. It wen't completely the opposite of what Mr. Kazunori Yamauchi said about DLC.

Another thing that I don't like is that eventually they release a new version with everything included.
 
There is this one thing I can't comprehend, I looked at the price of the DLC for the latest track to be added to the store and it was around £5 for one track. I love the game, I play it as often as I can, I compete with some of the fastest drivers on the game and I have lots of fun but that is a bit of a joke to charge that much money for a track.

People might think it's only £5 so just buy it but the principle is the main issue here. I paid £40 for the game and I personally felt it was unfinshed and so flawed but I still loved it. I felt it lacked a good number of tracks and I was hoping that they would give us some free DLC when they got round to making the tracks.

It costs money to make DLC tracks; lots of money. Most players already moved on, so if you look at sales of six or seven million copies, that isn't six or seven million potential buyers, but rather only a fraction of that still plays the game so only a small percentage of that is even just a potential buyer of DLC. Not all people still playing are going to bother with downloading the track, so they can't charge just a few quid for it, and if they charge nothing at all then they're just bleeding money for nothing.

With Forza I've bought car packs for both FM3 and FM4, as well as the Nurburgring GP circuit for FM3, and felt fine with that because Turn 10 more than earned those extra dollars, not because the DLC itself was a great deal but because of how much they already gave me for $60 (or I suppose £40) when I bought the game. Buying their DLC was further funding a company that produces the top racing/driving games of the modern era.

Second: it's four tracks (3 layouts plus the oval) for your money.

But it's one location, versus dozens that came with the game. You're padding the numbers, like PD does with their car list. If you want to count Motegi as four, then the game came with over a hundred.

Third: it's totally worth it.

That's up to the individual. I paid $10 for the Nurburgring GP circuit in FM3 and was happy doing so, but that's a good track. Motegi is a lifeless, stale series of straights and ninety-degree elbows, and one of the poorer tracks that they could have selected. Motegi came with Forza for years and I hated its boringness all that time, but had it not came with the game and instead appeared as DLC I wouldn't have paid for it because it sucks.
 
If you wanna buy it then buy it. If you don't then don't. As an example I'm not going to complain to Ferrari because I can't afford their new car because it's too expensive... Its a rule of life, you buy what you can afford...
 
Second: it's four tracks (3 layouts plus the oval) for your money.


Dividing a pie into 3 pieces does not create 3 pies, it is still only one pie. When you serve one of those slices up to your family at the dinner table, that slice does not magically go *poof* and turn into a full pie again, it's still only a portion of the original product.


Krizzay
1. Get a job

This shares absolutely zero relevance to the track's value for money, and is also incredibly insulting to boot. I have a huge distaste towards these sort of comments and I have a job.

To further counter act Motegi's price, considering the average price of the game at release - £40/$50 or whatever - Motegi is extortionately more expensive compared to the average price of the tracks in the game already (and previous DLCs), not including that you're also paying for over 1000 cars, the physics engine and everything else that makes the game up..

Even if you dismissed all of that and just said £40 divided by 27 locations (not including the variations of circuits) = £1.48 each.

Therefore comparably, Motegi is infact terrible value for money.
 
I did not want it. I did not buy it. My $5 went to beer. Its all good.

Get your Montegi thrills from PS2/GT4 ..there are ACTUAL races AND a Tuned Car enduro that take place there... that plus your beer will keep you from feeling the DLC cost pains :-). Problem solved ...old-ish graphics aside ...but with more beer it looks as good as GT5!!

Good luck with the job situation.
 
I had no problem with the last DLC, it's a full track complex, not just 1 layout. 4 tracks for $5 was a lot more bang for your buck then the one with Spa and Kart Place

No. Motegi was in GT4 whereas Spa was a completely new track. For the rest of the story I agree with Lewis_Hamilton_.
 
I agree that a few more/better tracks should have been included for the basic game price!

But talking about DLCs: It is up to you whether to buy them or not. I did not buy the last test track for example... not that I can't afford...it is just too boring IMO...
 
I consider it two tracks. Road and Oval. They are completely different. Where as the variations of the track are just by roads.
 
$5 for a track is a joke compared to other games. In Shift 2, for $10, I got 5 tracks (Dijon-Prenois 1972, Rouen-les-Essarts 1952/1966, Hockenheimring 1982, Monza GP 1958 and Silverstone Circuit GP 1975), 14 classic race cars, and most importantly a huge addition to the career mode where I could use and enjoy all this new stuff.

$5 for one track you can only use in arcade mode is pathetic.
 
$5 for a track is a joke compared to other games. In Shift 2, for $10, I got 5 tracks (Dijon-Prenois 1972, Rouen-les-Essarts 1952/1966, Hockenheimring 1982, Monza GP 1958 and Silverstone Circuit GP 1975), 14 classic race cars, and most importantly a huge addition to the career mode where I could use and enjoy all this new stuff.

$5 for one track you can only use in arcade mode is pathetic.

^Fully agree^. Total rip-off & I refuse to buy it.
 
$5 for a track is a joke compared to other games. In Shift 2, for $10, I got 5 tracks (Dijon-Prenois 1972, Rouen-les-Essarts 1952/1966, Hockenheimring 1982, Monza GP 1958 and Silverstone Circuit GP 1975), 14 classic race cars, and most importantly a huge addition to the career mode where I could use and enjoy all this new stuff.

$5 for one track you can only use in arcade mode is pathetic.

wow, well... that's good that one of the worst driving games I have ever played in my life, like motorstorm had better physics engine,

I'm led to believe that making patches, updates, costs the parent game company $40 thousand USD for it to go onto the playstation network, if you require advertising through playstation plus or a purchase point it will cost them another 40 thou, then before they even get to that point the creations team who made and provided the DLC need to be paid,

but seriously, It annoys me to death that people just want to bash everything with a price tag, I agree that it maybe a bit pricey for what you get, but seriously, would you take the time to create something very close to how it looks to real world and not want to get paid for it??? grow up! its how the world works! you make a video game, you sell it, simple, at least we can get issues fixed with a game by simply logging on, not like the old day's of compact disc gaming where if a game had a serious glitch it would go ignored or they would recall it which meant they either knew about the issue and you would take it to your local game should and they would give you the fixed copy, or you would have to send your copy back to the creator and wait 5-12 weeks to get the fixed copy, absolute pain,

this comes back to someone previously saying this thread, "get a Job",
seriously, this is the job of PD, they could have left the game alone and not give us squat, but they don't, they create something they think the fans would enjoy and market it to us, it is our choice to purchase it or not, its not like someone is holding a gun to your head!
 
$5 for a track is a joke compared to other games. In Shift 2, for $10, I got 5 tracks (Dijon-Prenois 1972, Rouen-les-Essarts 1952/1966, Hockenheimring 1982, Monza GP 1958 and Silverstone Circuit GP 1975), 14 classic race cars, and most importantly a huge addition to the career mode where I could use and enjoy all this new stuff.

$5 for one track you can only use in arcade mode is pathetic.

None the less, the car controlls in shift 2, are the worst i know from a racing game (played to the GT3, GT1 events, then stopt because of the shi**y controlls).
 
Back