Am I using the DS4 to full effect?

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I used to use the right stick for throttle/brake and shoulder buttons for gear changes for almost 20 years.

The default racing game config changed to triggers for brake and accelerator which can be very useful in some games having access to both, and controllers have developed triggers to be way better. I have adapted to that change and done well in racing/driving games since.

HOWEVER

In GT Sport is this holding me back? I end up using automatic as a result (and brake so the box kicks down when I need it to, usually).

Are there benefits in GT Sport to using the triggers for accel/brake, e.g smooth transitions, braking gently while on throttle in corners to help turning (when easing off would see me go wide)?

Recently I am convinced I am now wrong using the triggers. It feels like I could be missing time but don't know what other people do and why to compare.

I use R2 for gas, L2 for brake, triangle for gear up and circle for gear down. Sometimes I will have crossover where i am dragging the brakes while accelerating or staying slightly on throttle while braking to help the car rotate properly or to avoid upsetting the chassis with abrupt inputs. I am no alien but can hold my own pretty well. I am certain there are ds4 users in the Top 24 superstars races. You just have to get used to it and practice, practice, practice, practice and practice some more.

I use L2 and R2 specifically because you can use the gas and brake at the same time. This is the DS4 version of being able to left foot brake, which is a key component of driving any car at a high level. To me, you lose way to much car control by using the stick and only being able to do one or the other. It does take some practice to get really subtle with your inputs on L2 and R2, but now with the DS4, it’s actually pretty good. The triggers have decent weight to them, as well as decent travel.

The use the following button setup:

L2 - Gas
R2 - Brake
X - Hand Brake (can be subbed for other things in racecars that don’t use a handbrake, but maybe have DRS)
Triangle - look back
Square - Shift Down
Circle - Shift Up
R1 - Reverse
L1 - Change View

The rest, the D-pad and the Touch Pad, I left with the default settings.

It’s a setup I’ve used acrossed multiple games for years, going back to GT5. Some games I use a slightly different variation, but the core which is L2 R2 Circle Square and Triangle, that always stays the exact same.

I actually arrived at this button layout due to being really into drifting in GT5 and 6. For drifting, it was essential to be able to use the Gas, Foot Brake, Handbrake, and Downshift, all at the exact same time. With this setup, I can hit L2 and R2 at the same time, as well as use the heal of my thumb on X while tapping Square with the tip of my thumb.

I’ve also found that being able to use the gas and brake, as well as downshift, all at the exact same time goes a long way in regards to helping me save spins. My drifting instincts take over when my racecar loses traction, and in a lot of situations, especially after getting hit by another car, being able to simultaneously use the gas and brake while either downshifting or upshifting has saved my bacon hundreds of times.

staying slightly on throttle while braking to help the car rotate properly or to avoid upsetting the chassis with abrupt inputs

This is the DS4 version of being able to left foot brake

Spot on. It seems I am driving in a similar way to you both, but...

I am certain there are ds4 users in the Top 24 superstars races.
, There are, like the aforementioned @mthomas_95 who I believe uses the right stick for throttle and brake, which is why I am wondering what other people are doing.

I find the right stick for throttle/brakes is the best in terms of sensitivity. Personal opinion of course. I also used L2 & R2 for gear shifts however I changed that recently.

I'm now using R1/R2 for upshifting and downshifting, and L2 for brakes, while still using the right stick for throttle.

This allows me to apply brake pressure while maintainting and/or adjusting throttle. This allows one to distribute weight from the front/rear, maintained turbo pressure (if the vehicle has a turbocharger installed) as well as much smoother and easier trail brake techniques can be applied.

The change took a little while to get adjusted to but it was well worth to remain competitive. I don't have a reliable wheel and I need (all racers need) to apply brake/throttle at the same time so...

Back