Amateur GT All-Stars Series Notes

After watching the preview and seeing a C5R literally getting brutalized by JGTC cars, I decided to even the odds a bit in this series and brought in my newly-acquired Camaro Race Car. The rest of the field goes thusly...

Raybrig NSX
Loctite Zexel GT-R
Corvette C5R
Castrol Mugen NSX
Calsonic Skyline

I was a little concerned it might be too powerful for the competiton at 620-something HP, but since the Japanese entries could pull higher revs and had MR and 4WD drivetrains I figured they would probably be able to keep up.

Round 1 - Laguna Seca
Right away I discovered that Medium tires weren't going to be an option, the big V8 up front put so much strain on them that after 2 laps in qualifying the front tires had gone yellow! A quick change to Slick tires improved the wear problem greatly, but now I had to be very careful to take it easy until the tires had warmed up. I didn't like it since I was sure the 2 NSX's would get an early lead, but red tires on the last lap would hurt even worse.

Qualifying was a little surprising, the C5R had beat out the JGTC cars and I had beat the C5R by about 1.5 seconds. The NSX's were in the back of the grid. When I got into the actual race though, things turned right around... in the first turn the C5R showed its weakness, turning, and the rest of the field piled up behind him before the Loctite GT-R finally knocked him to the top the track. This slowed them up enough that I was able to get a 5 second lead. It was pretty quiet after that, except on the last lap where I went through the corkscrew all wrong and the Calsonic caught up to me, kicking my bumper all the way to the finish.

Camaro Race Car 7'13.839
Calsonic Skyline +0'00.763
Raybrig NSX +0'01.903
Castrol NSX +0'02.389
Loctite GT-R +0'04.850
Corvette C5R +0'05.408

I noticed that the Camaro Race Car seems to handle a lot like the Esperante GT1... at speed it can take corners fairly well, but when you drop down to 3rd gear or lower the extra weight in the front makes it tough to keep a good line. The front tires also seem to wear twice as fast as the rear, which seems kind of odd for such a powerful FR car. It was also necessary to tighten up the gears, the setting they're at when you first get the car is ridiculously high.

-------------

Round 2 - Deep Forest II
I'm not too crazy about this track since the uphill corners are darkened, so it's hard to tell where the road ends and the walls begin. The Camaro seemed to find its own path around the track though, one fast enough to steal the pole from the Calsonic by about .37 seconds.

He obviously didn't like that, going into the first turn at the start he popped me in the rear bumper and sent me off the track. That's twice the Calsonic has attacked me, and it's starting to get on my nerves. I only trailed the field by 4 seconds after getting back on track, and managed to build up a pretty big margin after regaining the lead on lap 3.

Camaro Race Car 6'32.251
Calsonic Skyline +0'02.852
Loctite GT-R +0'03.563
Raybrig NSX +0'07.192
Corvette C5R +0'08.834
Castrol NSX +0'09.335

Learned another thing about the Camaro here... it really likes to grab onto those rumble strips and drag itself right over the top of them if you aren't paying attention. It also gets angry if you accidentally drop a rear wheel onto the grass when trying to exit out of a corner, so work on your fishtail recovery skills in case that happens.

The NSX's performance have also been strangely poor, I would have though they would have an advantage over the heavier GT-Rs. Strange...

-------------

Round 3 - Midfield
I admit I really don't like this track, the wide sweeping turns seem to make just about any car understeer like crazy and trying to compensate by loosening the rear makes you vulnerable to being spun out by the AI cars. After 4 qualifying laps I was only able to come within a half second of the Calsonic's time, that put me into 4th place.

I had managed to work myself back up to 2nd halfway through the first lap, and guess what happens? The Calsonic suddenly cuts down the track in the sweeper leading up to the tunnel and slams his rear end into my front end, sending the car into a lazy 180 spin that leaves me 9 seconds behind the pack. That's three straight times the Calsonic has rammed into me, and the second time it's caused me to lose control of the car. I normally don't intentionally hit AI cars, but from now on that jerk is going to be eating my bumper if he gets anywhere near me. This means war!!

Luckily Midfield's long straightaway worked to the Camaro's advantage, that beef burner's V8 was able to make up almost 3 seconds a lap with some late braking on the following corners. The C5R (aka "The Moving Chicane") shoved its way into 3rd on lap 3 and clogged up the racetrack, slowing up most of the field and allowing me to sneak by before he got shoved out of the way again. The Calsonic was long gone though, probably for the better since I was ready to run him right over at that point.

Calsonic Skyline 6'20.275
Camaro Race Car +0'03.626
Loctite GT-R +0'03.917
Castrol NSX +0'04.567
Raybrig NSX +0'04.850
Corvette C5R +0'05.408

Is it just me, or is the AI in this series 10 times more aggressive than elsewhere? I know there's plenty of cases of AI stupidity where they blindly hit you, but the JGTC cars (especially that Calsonic) seem almost deliberate in their bumping and banging. Maybe it's just the way the field is so tight, but you never know...

neon duke has also reported of the Pennzoil Skyline driving like garbage. Anyway, nice write-up so far!:D

*If this game is Japanese-biased, how come the JGTC Skylines are programmed to drive like garbage?;) *

Originally posted by Blaze Kinser
Is it just me, or is the AI in this series 10 times more aggressive than elsewhere? I know there's plenty of cases of AI stupidity where they blindly hit you, but the JGTC cars (especially that Calsonic) seem almost deliberate in their bumping and banging. Maybe it's just the way the field is so tight, but you never know...
It ain't just you. They are agressive as heck in this series. I think I tried it in a CLK Touring Car (no chance at all) and a C5R (hopeless due to tire wear) before resorting to my RX-7 LM car. I might have gone back later and mopped up with a Stage-I N/A Raybrig NSX.

Nice writeup! It's good to see some new people contributing. Keep us posted on the rest of the series.

im doing this series in the C5R, currently in 1st with 73 points after 8 races...i finished 4th on the Rome circuit. I'm positive i'll win, but i lost horrible on Rome..i dunno what car i have that can beat that Castrol NSX...this C5 is one of my best cars(just passed 50%...)

LanEvo: Use the prize car list published on this site to see where you can win the Raybrig NSX. It'll take the other JGTC cars stock; certainly with N/A-1 tuning. The C5R is fast but handling sticnks on old tires, and on that car any tires are old tires.

i could have won the Raybrig in the All-Star...but i got a retarded Skyline R-Tune, worst car out of the roulette. :odd: the C5R did pretty well, i won most races by 3-4 secs, with the front tires just getting yellow on the bigger tracks by the final lap. I could tell it couldn't handle as well as the Castrol NSX though...

Do you know about the "save and reload" trick? That guarantees your prize car, eventually. Do a search and you'll find it explained elsewhere.

Wow, thanks for the positive feedback guys! Nice to see someone's finding my blather interesting. ;) Anyway, to get back to it...

--------------

Round 4 - Test Course

You probably never thought you'd hear someone say this, but I was actually looking forward to this race. After all the abusive treatment the Calsonic Skyline had been giving me lately, it seemed like a nice change of pace to have a race where I could have minimal contact with the opposition. I left the gearing where it was 6th seemed to be tall enough, and I didn't qualify for this race because I'm not a masochist :P , but wouldn't you know it my arch-nemesis just happened to be in 4th place on the grid. I'm starting to wonder if he's stalking me.

Luckily he didn't try anything stupid when the race got underway, so once the Camaro got up to speed I was able to blow right by him and forget about him. The one big advantage this car has is that it's been pretty much unbeatable in a straight line, and once I shook the Raybrig out of my draft it was pretty much a quiet drive in the country. At 200 MPH, that is.

Camaro Race Car 10'03.447
Raybrig NSX +00'02.345
Castrol NSX +00'02.469
Loctite GT-R +00'02.552
Corvette C5R +00'05.206
Calsonic Skyline +00'05.218

One little thing I did notice is that with the gearing I've been using, the car reaches 200 MPH right on the redline, 7000 RPMs. Not that it's very important, I just found it kinda interesting. And as you can see, the Calsonic didn't even have enough steam to get around the C5R. Sucks for him, because that pushed him back down to 3rd in the standings behind the Loctite GT-R. Ha ha, loser!

---------------------

Round 5 - Apricot Hill II

I always liked this track, but almost all of my experience with it has been in low powered FR cars so I wasn't quite sure how a 600 HP beast would operate around this course. It's not a very complicated track though (aside from the uphill esses being misleading), so once the tires got warmed up the car got around it fairly well. Unfortunately the JGTC cars got around it a lot better, and after qualifying I was at the back of the grid over a second behind the Loctite GT-R.

Got back into the lead on lap 3, and finally got some revenge on the Calsonic! He had fallen to the back and as I was setting up for the hairpin just before the long straight he suddenly blasts out of nowhere right at me, but luckily I saw him coming and got on the gas quick enough to get clear. That sent him right up and off the track... nice try, jerk. Checking the replay I saw his brake lights didn't come on until a split second before he would have hit me, so it pretty obvious what his intentions were. I had to give up the lead, but got it back with a last second pass on the final lap. I was wondering if the AI had gotten its power boost early, the field seemed to really pick up in this race.

Camaro Race Car 6'55.974
Loctite GT-R +0'00.202
Raybrig NSX +0'01.084
Castrol NSX +0.01.495
Calsonic Skyline +0'04.939
Corvette C5R +0'05.883

Another thing I've discovered about this Camaro Race Car is that it has some impressive stopping power... my brake points were way ahead of the AI cars', and I think that's why I've been able to fend off them off so well, even though they're a little better than me through the corners I can get into them a lot later than they can.

-------------------

Round 6 - Rome II

Now the real fun was about to start... The AI had their power boost for sure, but I didn't want to do the same to the Camaro because I wasn't sure that the tires would be able to handle it. Plus I never was very good at going around this track, so the outlook wasn't terribly good for me. I did manage a 4th place start though, so at least I knew I had a chance for a good finish.

The Calsonic had started on the pole and just took off, so much of my race was spent trying to get around the Loctite GT-R. I did manage to grab 2nd for a short while, but the tires just weren't up to the task in the late laps so it ended up being a 1-2 finish for Nissan.

Loctite GT-R 7'17.821
Calsonic Skyline +0'01.200
Camaro Race Car +0'01.554
Raybrig NSX +0'04.274
Corvette C5R +0'04.584
Castrol NSX +0'04.836

Strangely, the NSX's still were performing poorly even though this seems like the kind of track where an MR drivetrain would be a big advantage. I wondered if maybe someone at PD was playing favorites when they were coding in the JGTC cars, usually when there's an NSX in the field that's who you put your money on to win it.

Gah, guess I'd better get around to finishing this up! I've had it done for a couple days now, just couldn't find the time to write it out. :indiff:

-----------------

Round 7 - Seattle
By now I had figured out that the AI's power boost (and the lack of boost for my car) were going to end up the already aggressive AI even worse than before to deal with. This became very evident when I was qualifying, I had the bad luck to get the Raybrig NSX behind me and ended up being battered through the chicane just after the railroad tracks. I ended up at the back of the grid, a painful 3 seconds behind the Calsonic.

Seattle is one of the tracks where too much power can end up hurting instead of helping, and I think that's the only reason I managed to pull off a good run here. I noticed most of the AI cars were either very slow or sliding dangerously through the first corners and at the railroad tracks, and in fact a major tangle happened on the first lap at the railroad chicane when the Loctite GT-R got bumped by the Raybrig and fishtailed all over the place, nearly piledriving the Raybrig into the wall as a result. Once again the Calsonic just picked up and hauled off at the green light, but I did manage to stay within sight of him the whole race and finish second, which was a lot better than I had expected to do.

Calsonic Skyline 7'52.916
Camaro Race Car +0'02.707
Loctite GT-R +0.04.734
Corvette C5R +0.06.071
Castrol NSX +0'07.208
Raybrig NSX +0'08.267

By now I had just enough points to lock up the championship; all I had to do was just finish the next two races and I could safely skip the last one. That was a good thing too, because it pretty much all fell apart at this point...

------------------------

Round 8 - SSR11
This is the one race I was dreading. I actually like Route 11 quite a bit, but it's definitely not a track for powerful FR cars. There are just too many tight flat corners, the kind which require you to drop to 1st gear and put you in serious risk of spinning out from overtorquing. I elected to sit out qualifying since I knew I wouldn't do too well. No point on wasting 5 minutes just to get the same end result, right?

I actually managed to get through the first couple of corners fairly well, and even got up to 3rd place before it finally happened. The tires broke loose coming out of the tight right-hander and the car just turned itself right around before I could get a handle on it. To make matters worse, the two Skylines and the C5R decided to bounce off me to keep themselves off the wall while I was turned around. Thanks a lot, jerks! I did mange to catch the C5R, but this one was pretty much lost before it even started.

Castrol NSX 9'54.978
Raybrig NSX +0'00.187
Calsonic Skyline +0'01.805
Loctite GT-R +0'03.157
Camaro Race Car +0'04.422
Corvette C5R +0'06.096

The NSX's finally seemed to remember they had a handling advantage and dominated this one. That was great for me, since it meant that my point margin widened just a little and ensured that I'd win the series. Usually I'd be unhappy with such a poor performance, but since my main goal was to get my greedy paws on a GT40 and I was rapidly getting tired of this series, I didn't fret too much over it. One more to go...

-------------------

Round 9 - Grand Valley II
Running Grand Valley backwards can be tricky if you don't pay attention to where braking points are, but for the most part it's not a very difficult track. I was determined to try to make up for my dismal performance at Route 11, and things were looking good after qualifying. After the usual 2 laps I was sitting in 3rd, about a second behind the Raybrig NSX.

Unfortunately I had forgotten that the Camaro hates having it's wheels put into the grass. Coming up on the first tunnel I went a little hard trying to pass and when the left wheels slid into the green stuff the car decided to protest by pulling off to the left... right into the outcropping of the tunnel wall. Went from 90 to 0 like that. Needless to say, I got left behind pretty quickly while I sat there, trying to back up so I could get back on track.

Castrol NSX 9'33.961
Raybrig NSX +0'01.343
Calsonic Skyline +0'07.925
Loctite GT-R +0'08.594
Corvette C5R +0'16.537
Camaro Race Car +0'29.179

What a disaster. :(

I wasn't about to try taking on the JGTC cars on their home turf yet (especially since the oil light came on in the last race), so I just took the money and ran at this point. After refusing a few attempts to be awarded a riced-up Skyline, I finally walked away with a white GT40, more than enough cash to keep my racing operation going for a long time, and a newfound hatred for JGTC Skylines.

The Camaro's gotten some desperately needed servicing, so I'll probably go back and take them on again in the races I missed now that things are a little more equal. They haven't seen the last of me just yet... :mischievous:

The AI are particularly brutal in this series; I don't know why. They just go at it like it's their last day on earth. I remember trying this several times back in the day, using increasingly more potent cars. I finally beat the series in an RX-7 LM which should have been way too much car for the AI, but it wasn't.

Congratulations on the win, and great job on the writeups. I'm looking forward to more!

Originally posted by RVDNuT374
Always remember to keep upgrades on reserve when the AI gets their mid series boost.

Actually, I decided not to get an upgrade because even the level 1 would have put the car either close to or over 700 horsepower, and I didn't think it would be drivable with that much power and hard tires... it barely held together with the 620 I entered with. The Camaro Race Car seems to be a rather fickle beast, I'd rather not make it any more powerful than it needs to be!
bomb.gif

Originally posted by neon_duke
The AI are particularly brutal in this series; I don't know why. They just go at it like it's their last day on earth. I remember trying this several times back in the day, using increasingly more potent cars. I finally beat the series in an RX-7 LM which should have been way too much car for the AI, but it wasn't.

So the competition in the Pro All-Stars series won't be as bad as it was in this series? That is strange. Maybe they got the AI for the Pro series and the Amateur series mixed up?

Congratulations on the win, and great job on the writeups. I'm looking forward to more!

Thanks! :D

what the hell, the "most intelligent thread ever" post i made was to a completely different thread!!! how the hell did it end up here?!??!?

Originally posted by Ducati
what the hell, the "most intelligent thread ever" post i made was to a completely different thread!!! how the hell did it end up here?!??!?

I guess your post was intelligent enough to find its way to its proper destination. ;)

But anyway, I do have a couple of followup notes:

I went back with the Camaro and re-did the races I didn't win, trying to keep the field as close to the original makeup as possible. A lot of times I had to settle for just bringing up the Calsonic and a bunch of rally cars though; for some reason the field changes drasctially if you do a single race instead of the series. The AI doesn't seem quite as destructive either, which is a bit strange...

Rome II - Qualified 2nd, beat the Calsonic by a half second for the win. He really seems to like trying to crowd other cars out in the corners, which gets really annoying since there's little room to maneuver on this track.

Seattle - Qualified 2nd again, beat the Celica Rally Car by about 2 seconds for the win. The Calsonic just wouldn't appear, so the Raybrig took its place and fell way back, he never did recover from getting caught in the first lap logjam.

SSR 11 - Tried three times wih the Camaro, every time I got smashed by the AI cars in the third corner and lost by a huge margin. I later went back with the F1 I won from the Rome enduro and got my sweet, candy-coated revenge. If they're not going to play fair, then to hell with it I say.

Grand Valley II - Remembering to keep the wheels out of the grass this time, I managed to get a win by .9 seconds over the Mugen NSX. The Calsonic and C5R also showed up, so this was the closest to the original field I'd been. (They finished 4th and 5th, for what it's worth.)

Tokyo R246 II - Both Skylines showed up for this one, and seemed to do quite well. Of course the competiton were 2 rally cars and an Astra Touring car, so it may not be a fair comparison. :P The Skylines could beat me through the corners, but I made it up and then some on the huge straightaway for a 1.4 second win over the Loctite GT-R.

...and with that, I can finally end my involvement with this series. Until I decide that I want that Raybrig NSX, at least.

very nice write up Blaze.... I really enjoyed reading it. I definitely have my hands full in this series.

I am also currently on Amatuer All Stars...
Completed Laguna Seca so far in single race
won First place using the Porsche RUF car
450 hp approx.
with medium racing tires
have installed suspension upgrades (racing) and weight reduction upgrades
Win was by 1/4 second over the Castrol Mugen NSX

The race is very competitive if the line up is this:

Raybrig NSX
Loctite Zexel GT-R
Corvette C5R
Castrol Mugen NSX
Calsonic Skyline

The RUF I am using handles extremely well right now... and there is where I get the upper hand on the competition. Competitors definitely have a hp advantage but on this course handling is the key. I think that I may be in for a rude awakening in the upcoming races though....:eek:

Back