AMAZING: Formula GT - Apricot Hill (F686/M)

• Thread starter ZZII
  • 19 comments
This has now surpassed the Pitz SS R11 race as the most exciting race I have ever had. I didn't plan on writing it up, so I don't have exact lap times, but I can describe the amazing events that took place for me to win...

During qualifying, I lost control and slid into the sand of the first turn on my first qualifying lap, so I wound up in sixth. On my second lap, I qualified first by .009 seconds, which should have been an omen. I have had problems with this track before in other series, but I didn't know what to expect here.

I was racing a F686/M against the field of formula cars, but the only real competition was the F094/S which has amazing handling, tire wear, and acceleration. I had a slight advantage in top speed, but it did not help much in this race. My oil was completely gone, and I was down to 908 HP from 97* HP.

For the first 6 laps, I was neck and neck with the F094/S. I gained a little on him on the first two turns, but he gained it right back at the hairpin. I was also trying to decide on a pit strategy, knowing that in such a tight race it would be crucial. I couldn't really think it out though, because I was having enough trouble holding back the F094/S. I decided on lap 6 to pit because my right front tire was red and I was losing position. The F094/S passed me at the end of lap 6 (the s turn), and I went into the pits.

I came out about 18 seconds back, but I realize that he was going to pit on the multiples of 7, meaning he could make it to 27 on only 3 stops. If I pit every six, I would have to take 4 stops. I knew that I could not spare the extra 20 seconds. I decided that I could still pit after 7 laps and make it to 27 (pit on laps 13 and 20), but I would have to conserve tires.

The F094/S pit on lap 7 and I passed him. He came out about 3 seconds back. From laps 8 to 13 I held him about 3-5 seconds back as I tried to race a line that would be easy on my tires. However, my front right tire went red again by lap 13 and on the hairpin I slid and lost any lead that I had. The F094/S passed right as I pit, nearly blocking me from getting in. I knew, though, that if I lost that much time on the final lap of the race (which would be very likely, since it would be on the 7th lap of tire wear as well) that he could pass me and take the lead seconds before the end of the race, which would be devestating. I still intended to pit on lap 20, but I had to really work on conserving tires.

The F094/S pit again on lap 14 and I passed him. I had about a 3 second lead again as he came out of the pits. I managed to extend that lead over the next 6 laps to about 6-7 seconds. I was also trying hard to stay on the track and conserve my tires. At this point I was racing laps of between 1:04 and 1:07, which was just fast enough for me to gain slowly, but not to break out a big gap.

By lap 20, my front right tire had gone red again. I tried to hold my position, but I had to slow down a lot to compensate. I knew that this was exactly what the final lap would be like, and I began to think of a different pit strategy. I though that if I held out on extra lap and pit on 21, I would be on orange tires on the final lap rather than red and I can hold my lead. The problem was, I might lose so much time running a lap on all reds that I might not be able to get back my lead. I was still undecided.

The F094/S caught up to me again on the s turns. We were neck and neck as we hit the front stretch and I made the decision to stay out one more lap. I squeezed in front of the F094/S and let him push me down the front stretch, then on the first turn he tried to pass me on the outside, but clipped my car and slid into the dirt. He got out quickly though, and this only gave me a 2 second lead. He easily made that up after about half a lap and passed me. He pit with about a 3 second lead on me. I pit right behind him.

As I came down pit road, I saw his stall was right behind mine. I hit his car getting into my stall, which cost me a second or two. Then his car dropped and he tried to get out, but he ran right into me and was stuck! He couldn't leave until I did! So I came out of the pits just in front of him. It was hilarious. I still had 6 laps of racing to do though.

For the final six laps, I was on fire. I guess the excitement made me race better. I was running laps of 1:01 and 1:02, a full three second faster than before. It was amazing. I pulled a relatively huge gap on the F094/S, about 7-8 seconds. As my tires started to wear down on the last two laps, he narrowed it a little. However, I was able to hold him off and won by 5 seconds.

This race was amazing! I saved the replay so I can watch it again and again. How lucky can I get! If I didn't make the decision to stay out one more lap, he never would have hit me. If he hadn't hit me, I may not have been able to win. I thought it was absolutely hilarious! What a race!

I missed the chance to read this when you first posted it, ZZII. Excellent racing and excellent writing! More, more!

great race!!
i want to kno your opinion on which is the best f1 overall i think its the F094/s -i was extremely lucky and got it the first time i won the super speedway endurace race -the easiest way to get it

F094/s is best overall IMO. Amazing balance of speed, handling, and (as a result) tire wear.

Fastest is F686/M but it doesn't handle as well and wears down tires more quickly.

Originally posted by SKYLIN€
great race!!
i want to kno your opinion on which is the best f1 overall i think its the F094/s -i was extremely lucky and got it the first time i won the super speedway endurace race -the easiest way to get it

i thought you won the f090/s on the super speedway.

Im in tha F1 races right now and that same kina thing happened to be on a different track!!! its was crazy... my laps were 2 seconds faster than i could even get earlier in tha race, i guess it just happens when your really involved with tha race!

I just realized this is the second time I've read this write-up. It's great though. Highly comical that he was stuck behind you in the pits. :lol:
All that tire debate reminded me of an F1 race I had in Laguna Seca. I was running an F094/H, and of course the only competition I had was the F094/S. I dealt my pit strategy wrong and by lap 33 my lead of like 8 seconds was decimated by my tires all being red. The "S" passed me by like the 5th turn. I felt like crying that day, crying or beating the hell out of something. :mad:
I got back on my feet a couple of days ago though when I took the F090/S and won that elusive race. I'm 1 for 4 now in the Laguna Seca F1 race. :D

Thanks for all the great responses. :)

Yes, I still remember this race as the best race ever. It emphasizes the importance of pit strategy and also the effect of dumb luck. The F686/M definately carried its weight in this one, overcoming a serious handling and tire wear disadvantage with oil lamp on to win on a track notorious for ending my series winning streaks in the most depressing fasion.

Edit:
As promised, here is the replay file. Anyone who has the patience to sit through 27 laps of Apricot Hill will enjoy watching this race. (Race description in first post.)

http://projectgt.tripod.com/fgt_apricot.xps

i used the same car but i beat them by almost 12seconds. althoguh i nailed the perfect settings i feel for the car by chance. I mean the only problem with it is sometimes i turn to sharp.

Originally posted by Sleek Stratos
I just realized this is the second time I've read this write-up. It's great though. Highly comical that he was stuck behind you in the pits. :lol:
All that tire debate reminded me of an F1 race I had in Laguna Seca. I was running an F094/H, and of course the only competition I had was the F094/S. I dealt my pit strategy wrong and by lap 33 my lead of like 8 seconds was decimated by my tires all being red. The "S" passed me by like the 5th turn. I felt like crying that day, crying or beating the hell out of something. :mad:
I got back on my feet a couple of days ago though when I took the F090/S and won that elusive race. I'm 1 for 4 now in the Laguna Seca F1 race. :D

And 3 months later I too have read it for the second time.

I've started racing hot laps again to compare with online times and discovered I'm much better than I used to be. Maybe I need to run the F1 GT in a non-F1 car again to see what I come up with.

yeah i havent completed the game yet but im just playing to get all the F1 cars anything else that looks cool
i might not drive it but it still looks cool, so far im up to something like 17million in total car value i just keep beating my records at places, so far my best is 53.xxx at midfield F686/M i forge the exact time without looking

yeah i placed third in my laguna seca f1 race, i was on lap 27 and teh 94/s was pitting my tires were getting bad so i went in right behind him i went in a little to fast and the game was retarded and cost over 40seconds trying to get the car off a tirewall, that could have been done in about a second if i were driving, i ended up third 45seconds behind 1st. led the entire race until that point
i felt like breaking my GT CD in half. very unlucky day since that same day i missed the school ski club bus so i wasted 30$ and my car got stuck in the snow.

Latest Posts

Back