So - which processor would you opt for?

• AMD

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • Intel

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

vat_man

Staff Emeritus
Well, having just acquired an AMD equipped PC, it has me intrigued where everyone stands on the AMD vs Intel debate.

I understand the AMD chip is quicker than the equivalent Intel chip due to bigger caches and more efficient processing, but runs hotter.

I'd be interested to hear everyone's opinion on this.

Defintly AMD because of the price to performance ratio. I just bought a Athlon XP 2000+ and I'm pleased, to say the least. AMDs do run hotter, my AMD runs about 120 F with a heatsink and a fan. Though, Athlons do not run faster then Pentium 4s. P4s edge out anything from AMD because of RDRAM. If P4s didn't have it, like the i845 chipset with DDR, P4s wouldn't stand a chance to Athlons, even with Intel's Northwood core.

I go AMD all the way right now. The chip is easily the better of the 2 (Vs. Pentium 4.) The only hiccup is that the extra bandwidth that you get from Rambus (which only the P4 uses) really gives the P4 the edge. But for my money... AMD all the way. Soon they'll close the gap with the new DDR ram anyway.
As for the future? I'm not a particularly loyal person when it comes to technology. If I see something better, I make the switch. :D

I've had nothing but good luck with AMD. Hell I'm runnin a K6-2 500Mhz right now. I have seriously had nothing but bad luck with any Intel processors.

BTW i was going to create a thread of this. Damn you vat_man. :mad: j/k ;):D

AMD is to Intel as Honda is to Volvo.

You get more bang for your buck, but it's not nearly as refined (as the numbers go ...)

For a gamer computer, I'd go AMD all the way. Bang for the buck. But for a workstation or server I'm still sticking with Intel.

~LoudMusic

I've always bought Intel processors - they've always been ahead of the game at times when I've been buying PCs for myself. For work, we have a purchase deal with HP, so we just get whatever they shove in. The current 1.6GHz P4 seems to be seriously quick however.

amd is better, but i wish companies like acer and dell and hp would start using amd instead of intel. cause of that, ive always used intels, but i have friends who use amd, they run faster

i recently bought a new pc. P4 1.6 with 512 meg ram and a ge force 2. my brother also bought a new pc. an athlon 1800. he said it runs equivilant of a P4 2. i reckon hes ****ting me.

I've always had Intel processors (P4 2.2 Ghz right now), and I've always been very happy with them. But, I'm not particularly loyal to the company. :)

AMD is definatly better. My friend has an AMD XP1800, and it does run like 2 gig.

I have an AMD k6-2/266 at home, yes a 266, lol. It runs like a 350-400. Were running P2 266's at school and sorry, but there just way too slow. Amd id definatly the way to go, and cheaper aswell!

I've always been an Intel-only guy. Until I bought my current Athlon XP 1800.

I'll NEVER go back.

Always used intel. Currently a 1.9.

Would have no problems buying an AMD though. Just depends what's available and what the price is at the time.

I think in the old days some code would not run on AMD or gave funny results but development houses these days are aware of AMD being a major market force so code for both.

AMD
athlon.gif

:D

Back