America Meets Britain Head-On! Saleen S7 vs. McLaren F1

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 47 comments
  • 5,567 views
This guy has the Koenigsegg winning in a few aspects.... WATCH!
 
Steeda
This guy has the Koenigsegg winning in a few aspects.... WATCH!
Thats jermey clarckson (SP?) and its the top gear review of the Koenigsegg CC8 Its a must watch if you havent watched it.
 
The F1 obviously outperforms the S7 but was the S7 built to outclass all other production cars as the Mclaren was? I also think the S7 looks better.
 
icemanshooter23
The F1 obviously outperforms the S7 but was the S7 built to outclass all other production cars as the Mclaren was? I also think the S7 looks better.
Finally, someone agrees with me. The S7 is sleek. I love how low to the ground it is. The F1 is bulky and awkward.
 
pimp racer
Thats jermey clarckson (SP?) and its the top gear review of the Koenigsegg CC8 Its a must watch if you havent watched it.

:drool:

You lucky Brits. You get Top Gear. :grumpy:
 
Personally I love the F1. If you watch the old Top Gear shows you'll see just how special the car really is. Drive it at 240 one day and the next take it to the market to get some milk.
 
Hiya! :D :O :lol:

It's okay for some of you who favor the Saleen S7's look better than my McCutey! :O But anyways, They are both really excellent cars I would luv to own if I ever could.

*Stares to her new McLaren F1, 24 X 36 poster that is fitted in a metel frame with glass with luv in her eyes* :O :O
 
How can anyone forget the very few US-converted Porsche 959s? From AutoWeek:

“We’re maintaining a McLaren F1 GTR,” says Bruce Canepa. (owner of Canepa Design, the company that converts the 959's) “And after driving both cars, there’s just no comparison. The McLaren skips and jumps all over the
place. The 959 just squats and goes.”

Here's the link.
 
Victor Vance
How can anyone forget the very few US-converted Porsche 959s? From AutoWeek:

“We’re maintaining a McLaren F1 GTR,” says Bruce Canepa. (owner of Canepa Design, the company that converts the 959's) “And after driving both cars, there’s just no comparison. The McLaren skips and jumps all over the
place. The 959 just squats and goes.”

Here's the link.
2 points I see here.

That would be one person's biased opinion. He's got one McLaren and how many 959's? It's in his interests to support the 959.

The phrase "squats and goes" seems to come from a standing start acceleration scenario. Of course it does, it has 4wd. The McLaren will do the 959 in above 30mph probably. EDIT: 959 0-60mph 3.6 sec - F1 3.2.
 
Well my guess is that with the added traction the 959 is better suited to a lower-speed track than the F1. While the F1's aggressive bodywork and undertray and spoiler produce incredible high-speed grip, I think the Porsche's gonna have the turn-out advantage, in, say, a 40-mph hairpin.

The Porsche was more like a 1980's-style EVO on steroids (and you can't deny it was built with the same mission in the EVO... to get into WRC), the F1 was built to be a LeMans-runner. So both cars are quite different and both have their advantages and disadvantages. The F1's lighter, the 959 has a wider stance and so on... I guess a more time-wise legitamite comparison would be between the 959 and the F40, which was also built on a similar mission to the F1. (although I'm not sure if Ferrari was ever serious about running them at Le Mans)

Although I hate to see anything Ford-powered take the checkerd flag, I'd say the S7 is a better overall pick than the F1.
 
Hiya again, McLaren and Pimp and others.

Pimp, you live in sunny Florida, right? Has the DuPont Registry had a McLaren or an S7 once? I know they had to have either one. I heard that in Florida, the lovely DuPont Registry is FREE. And like I said, this topic is based on something my friend McLaren'sAngel once posted. So I wanted to make this comparison to the whole of GTP.

Carry on.
 
JohnBM01
Hiya again, McLaren and Pimp and others.

Pimp, you live in sunny Florida, right? Has the DuPont Registry had a McLaren or an S7 once? I know they had to have either one. I heard that in Florida, the lovely DuPont Registry is FREE. And like I said, this topic is based on something my friend McLaren'sAngel once posted. So I wanted to make this comparison to the whole of GTP.

Carry on.
Whats up John yeah I live in panama city beach Flordia.
Yeah I just went and picked up my copy of the registry a week ago and I have seen a few S7's I think and the F1 not sure I will check and get back to you guys tomorrow. :D ( Too many pages so litlle time :lol:)
 
Victor Vance
The Porsche was more like a 1980's-style EVO on steroids (and you can't deny it was built with the same mission in the EVO... to get into WRC), the F1 was built to be a LeMans-runner. So both cars are quite different and both have their advantages and disadvantages. The F1's lighter, the 959 has a wider stance and so on... I guess a more time-wise legitamite comparison would be between the 959 and the F40, which was also built on a similar mission to the F1. (although I'm not sure if Ferrari was ever serious about running them at Le Mans)

The Porsche was designed for 'group B' regulations alowing it to race or rally. They did some enduro rallies in it (winning the Paris-Dakar) but never competed, or wanted to compete, in whatever the World Rally Championship was called then. They did race it at LeMans though as the '961' with some success in its class.

The McLaren F1 was always designed as the 'ultimate road car' - it was never designed to race. Some early owners did however manage to persuade McLaren to modify their cars so they could race them at LeMans.

The F40 is closest in concept to the F1 - designed to be a 'race car for the road' which again was eventully turned into a LM GT.

Back on topic - the F1 would still beat the Saleen S7.
 
I'm going to be difficult and say Tickford Falcon XR8.
 
S7 or F1 - battle of the letter and numbers..... I'd stick with British and go for the McLaren.
 
Like the avatar sting?
 
JohnBM01
Hiya again, McLaren and Pimp and others.

Pimp, you live in sunny Florida, right? Has the DuPont Registry had a McLaren or an S7 once? I know they had to have either one. I heard that in Florida, the lovely DuPont Registry is FREE. And like I said, this topic is based on something my friend McLaren'sAngel once posted. So I wanted to make this comparison to the whole of GTP.

Carry on.
Oh yeah the registry is NOT Free but pretty cheap like 10 bucks anyways back to what you wanted to know I saw about 3 ads for the S7 in the latest magzine and none for the F1 I thought I say a F1 in my older magzine. I will try and find my older registries.
 
Back