"American brand cars" vs. "non-American cars"

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gordonfan24
  • 25 comments
  • 1,239 views

IMPORT OR DOMESTIC?

  • Import (non-US)

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Domestic (US)

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No automobiles for me - PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT!

    Votes: 3 20.0%

  • Total voters
    15
Messages
405
Messages
SVT97Merc
This is strictly an opinion-based vote.
The question: WHICH DO YOU THINK IS BETTER OVERALL?

P.S.: If you vote, please reply with a vehicle that you may have in mind. (EX: Nissan Skyline R34, or Chevrolet Camaro SS) And if you'd like, go ahead and post the year.
 
dude, this has been done soo many times, did you use "search" at all?
 
Hey, 87chevy: Yes, I did do the search. . . I just wanted to piss people like you off. . . Did I succeed?

You know what. . . just forget this was even posted. I wanted to know what people's opinions were on this topic (of "Which do you perfer?") NOWADAYS, not from last year, or the year before. There have been members that just recently joined GTPlanet, and this poll is for them, not the "regulars" that have been here for a few years, such as yourself. So if you don't want to see this, don't look. . . it's as simple as that.

As for my focus on America, did you read my message? I specifically stated that I live in America, and I said that I know that some (if not most) of the users are not from America. I'm not trying to offend anyone, it's just that focusing on one central point, or country was easier than asking "Ford vs GM vs Honda vs Chrysler vs. . . all the other car makes in the world" (if that sentence didn't make any sense at all, just know that it sounded right when I thought it, but putting it in words is a whole lot harder)
 
Is Volvo an import or a domestic, because they're owned by Ford.
 
And while we're at it. why did you focus on America? A Honda could be a domestic to some people on here, and a Mustang an import.
 
Blah blah blah, you are dumb, blah blah blah.


I say the same thing about automobiles that I say about computers - you have to get the right tool for the job. And different parts of the world make better cars for different things.
 
DUMBEST. THREAD. EVER.

( I still voted though, need to excerise the right ! )
 
Oh now, if we were to hold a poll on dumbest thread ever this surely wouldn't be the winner (:
 
Your right, I started a thread about three weeks ago regarding Canibalism when murder is involved, and if the judge should grant more leniency in the case since its less wasteful....gotta admit, that was pretty dumb!
 
Gordonfan24
Hey, 87chevy: Yes, I did do the search. . . I just wanted to piss people like you off. . . Did I succeed?

Not a very good reason to post a new thread.

But I'm feeling magnanimous at this moment, so I give this thread a day --in case some interesting conversation comes out of it.


M
 
///M-Spec
Not a very good reason to post a new thread.

But I'm feeling magnanimous at this moment, so I give this thread a day --in case some interesting conversation comes out of it.


M

I didn't mean that; that was just sarcasm. I meant everything I wrote in that message, except for those first comments.
 
I voted domestic, thinking more of the classic cars. Say 1990 or earlier domestic. But as we look later on, dosen't it seem that the imports got into the market with products that were value-priced, but not terribly exciting--but in the last 15-20 years, they have beaten the domestics "in their own territorry" so to speak?

For example, take the big, luxurious highway cruiser. I would say that an Acura RL, older Lexus SC, or a Toyota Avalon makes a far better comfortable and relaible long-distance cruiser than an Impala, Linclon, or Buick?

Or take the V8 RWD hot rods. BMW 6-series seems to fill quite nicely the void left by the Buick GSes of yore, and does so far better than anything of that era. Ditto the AMG E-class, as compared to, say, an Impala SS.

Any perspectives on this?
 
ExigeExcel
And while we're at it. why did you focus on America? A Honda could be a domestic to some people on here, and a Mustang an import.

Here, after eating dinner and briefly thinking about this and the scenario that ensued, I am going to change the wording a bit. . . just for you. I do understand what you are saying, I just didn't know how to ask the question I asked. I found what to say. . . and I hope this works better than it did the first time. . . :dunce:
 
You do realize that this topic has been flogged to death, resurrected with voodoo, flogged to death again, and then the reanimated corpse has been ground up, then cremated, and its ashes have been scattered over unhallowed ground.

Right?

How about looking around a little before starting such an obvious flame-bait topic?
 
OK, on reconsideration, I'm reopening this thread. I had not relized that another mod had contributed when I closed it originally. However, my overall opinion of this subject stands, and I urge the original poster to avoid statements and actions like this:
Yes, I did do the search. . . I just wanted to piss people like you off. . . Did I succeed?
That's not a particularly good way to get along with a community. Any community.
 
That's not a particularly good way to get along with a community. Any community.
what if that community has problems urinating? :dopey:

A better fraising of the question is:
"Do you prefer domestic makes, or foreign makes? The British for example might be proud of Lotus, and Aston Martin and Roll Royce (etc). But disappointed with the likes of Vauxhall and MG/Rover. You might be an American who prefers tight handling to straight line V8 muscle, and so prefer Skylines and Supras to Mustangs and Dodge.

Vote now on what you prefer"
Though I'm guessing you just wanted an American view.
 
I never got that....tight handling...vettes since 1998/99 have handled with the best of them, supras, skylines, you name it, same as vipers ....
 
"Better" at what? Cars are generally made for specific purposes, therefore some will be better than others in different areas. For example, I might love V8's, but I certainly wouldn't choose one if "better" means gas milage. :lol:

Since I don't care about hauling junk around (Trucks/SUV's/Sport Wagons/etc), and I don't care about being able to drive 500miles on a tank of gas (Economy/hybrid/etc), I tend to focus on performance vehicles. That being the case, I think US cars offer me the widest variety of choices WITHIN MY PRICE RANGE. That being the case, I suppose FOR me, the DOmestics are better.

Perhaps when I get old and have a bad back I'll start worrying about "cushy" ride quality, "plush" seats, and voice activated radio tuning, and I'll change my answer....but I doubt it :p
 
ExigeExcel
You might be an American who prefers tight handling to straight line V8 muscle, and so prefer Skylines and Supras to Mustangs and Dodge.
Therein lies the fallacy, and therein lies my extreme lack of patience for threads like this. Blatant, uninformed ethnic stereotyping doesn't do any more for cars than it does for people.
 
I think if worse came down to worse then the imports would (and currently are) win the majority of votes. The imports (honda, toyota etc.) tend to be a lot more reliable and break down a lot less while also providing huge potential for aftermarket parts. Not to mention that in general, they are much better on mileage. What more do you want?
 
PublicSecrecy
I think if worse came down to worse then the imports would (and currently are) win the majority of votes. The imports (honda, toyota etc.) tend to be a lot more reliable and break down a lot less while also providing huge potential for aftermarket parts. Not to mention that in general, they are much better on mileage. What more do you want?


I want more Horespower :sly:


(why was this thread unlocked?)
 
lol dont we all? The mustang be have ponies but shes also got a few extra pounds that could be worth shedding.
 
Back