AMG Academy- having problems getting gold

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ryan81
  • 29 comments
  • 4,499 views
Messages
2,641
Ok, so far I've only got gold on the very first AMG beginner time trial with the 300SL. I can get silver on all of them, including the intermediate level. However, I'm really stuggling to get gold on any.
The last stretch of the Nordschleife takes you down that long straight and requires a time of 2'20 to get gold. I've tried my very best to hold a good racing line and not to slow down too much on the corners but 2'22 is about the best I can muster.

Using MT, TCS at 5 and ABS 1. Everything else is off. Is there any way to make things easier i.e. the rally events were so much easier with skid recovery turned on.
 
for the last sector, after the long straight when you get to the slight turn, dont brake or decelerate at all and try and take a line close the left edge.

then as your going along this next little straight, try not to brake again for the next little bend and only decelerate.

your goal is to decelerate thru this corner and then you will take a line that will take you to the braking point of the hard S-bend before the finish line.

you can lose a good 5 seconds from slowing down and braking coming off that straight trust me :)
 
Yeah, must admit I do slow down quite a bit on that last little S-bend before the sharp S-bend to the right. Mainly because I think I'll go spinning off if I don't lol. But thanks, I'll give it a try.
 
I would turn the TCS down to 3 or lower (I used 1 for all the dry ones).

Ignore the driving line, especially the red stuff - the braking points are very wrong in most places.

Key to the ring is track knowledge; using the kerbs and setting up the car for the next bend or turn. Keep trying to find the limits of the track, there are many areas where you can gain a lot of time.

There is a lot of leeway in some of the golds but the note a couple eg the Intermediate full circuit are tough.

I totally immersed myself in the AMG Academy and did nothing else until it was all golded. Tip: after golding the AMG Academy you will find both the GT-R trophy and the Nascar Seasonal event a cake walk.

Also try searching there has been discussion on the AMG Academy before.
 
If it helps i put together some vids on some which are similar to my licence test vids

beginner









Advanced









These were driven without any assists, but the fastest settings tend to be with ABS on 1. Traction control on a low setting makes it easier to control, but its not really any faster.
 
Ok, so far I've only got gold on the very first AMG beginner time trial with the 300SL. I can get silver on all of them, including the intermediate level. However, I'm really stuggling to get gold on any.
The last stretch of the Nordschleife takes you down that long straight and requires a time of 2'20 to get gold. I've tried my very best to hold a good racing line and not to slow down too much on the corners but 2'22 is about the best I can muster.

Using MT, TCS at 5 and ABS 1. Everything else is off. Is there any way to make things easier i.e. the rally events were so much easier with skid recovery turned on.

Its actually quite easy, just go down the stretch as fast as you can try and keep left when you the grass with 4 wheels brake till you cross tarmac then flick the nose to the right to cut the next corner regain grip when you hit tarm and drive out! Time of 2.23 under bridge is sufficient i put time to beat of 6.48.672 with the sl300 on dry tarm!! Now just try in wet for the first time really slow and put 10.11.365 on the clock, gold should bde easy for i was quite sloppy on half of the track!! Anyways good luck!! If you want i'll post vid later..
 
I don't think it's even possible to gold them with TCS at 5.
 
I don't think it's even possible to gold them with TCS at 5.

This. Driving aids (apart from SRF) actually inhibit a cars performance. Turn them all off and you will start getting much faster times. I would keep ABS at 1 though as this seems the most realistic.
 
it seems to me that TCS is needed when using a dualshock. you can't get smooth acceleration out of turns without it. or maybe i'm just that bad
 
it seems to me that TCS is needed when using a dualshock. you can't get smooth acceleration out of turns without it. or maybe i'm just that bad

It depends on the car. I have no problems using a DS3 with FR, FF and 4WD cars, but RR and MR are tricky. Not impossible, they just need more delicate accelerator control.
Also depends on a car's power, and how it has been set up.
 
You need to be hitting the 1'33s Mark as you go under the advertising 'bridge' at the start of the straight, then it down to the last section at the end..

as you drop down the hill at the end of the straight you see the slight left-right section, i found the braking point somewhere around the apex of the 2nd bend (the slight right bit).

The car does move around a fair bit with trying to finish the turn and stomping on the anchors..but it works. If you get to the start of the straight (by the bridge again) in less than 1'33 it will make the ending not quite so frantic.

This is still fresh for me as it's this afternoon I worked on golding the AMG challenge
 
Just got gold on amateur, time: 7.02.631, abs=1, all other aids off, some countless unfinished trials and some 10+ finished, it's pretty easy once you enter the corners REALLY EARLY and OVERTAKE ON THE RIGHT, nevertheless one of the most difficult things in the game so far ( almost 95% finished) together with lotus top gear , nissan 370daytona licence and 1000m braking licence
 
It's quite a challenge the AMG academy. I golded them all except for
the intermediate full lap. So difficult.
The expert races are easy.
I use the DS3 and every ride aid on.
But maybe I will use less TC to beat the intermediate full lap.
 
It's quite a challenge the AMG academy. I golded them all except for
the intermediate full lap. So difficult.
The expert races are easy.
I use the DS3 and every ride aid on.
But maybe I will use less TC to beat the intermediate full lap.

Every aid on?
That will slow you down.
TCS and ASM definitely slow you down.
You should only be using ABS 1, and may be you want to invest in a wheel?
 
i golded these with ds3 all aids off tc off abs1 the thing with aids they do slow you down even do u dont notice it but make you feal most confortable with the car. The general rule with racing if it feals good its usauly not fast, its all about line and rithum
 
i use ds3 with no aids except 1 abs and i am working through golding these from silvers i had. just finished beginner and intermediate gold
 
Achieving Gold, in all the AMG driving tests, in my opinion, is something that should be earned in allowable time, and not rushed. I for one, have never driven on this track, prior to GT5. This is my first GT game, although, I do have 20 years actual driving experience. I find that even earning silver, was in itself a hard challenge, and with a wheel. I am confident, that in time, I will earn the golds, but I am not going to beat myself up if I can't do it in 2 weeks time, with 2 hours of casual play per day. (average).

There are still some sections of the track, that I tend to slow down way to much, for no good reason, lol, I think this is what hinders attainable gold, lack of true knowledge of every point on the track. Give it time.

Oh, but definitely Turn off all, except for ABS =1(must, becuase the game is defunct with the brakes) , and TCS = 1(optional)

and Get rid of your training wheels = Driving line. This should be banned, this instills someone elses lines, and will mess with you big time.
 
If its dry just take off the TCS and just try and push the car alittle more than you are comfortable with to see that you arent being too carefull.

I myself found with the GTR trophy I was being way too carefull and not pushing the car near hard enough

Im currently trying to get gold on the advanced and its do-able if you do it right

Oh and the corner after the second straight has to be taken flat out
 
I've never seen such corner cutting before as I just have watching those videos above. Is that necessary to gold those events? I have golded most but not all, but the ones I did gold were done using clean driving techniques.
 
Achieving Gold, in all the AMG driving tests, in my opinion, is something that should be earned in allowable time, and not rushed. I for one, have never driven on this track, prior to GT5. This is my first GT game, although, I do have 20 years actual driving experience. I find that even earning silver, was in itself a hard challenge, and with a wheel. I am confident, that in time, I will earn the golds, but I am not going to beat myself up if I can't do it in 2 weeks time, with 2 hours of casual play per day. (average).

There are still some sections of the track, that I tend to slow down way to much, for no good reason, lol, I think this is what hinders attainable gold, lack of true knowledge of every point on the track. Give it time.

Oh, but definitely Turn off all, except for ABS =1(must, becuase the game is defunct with the brakes) , and TCS = 1(optional)

and Get rid of your training wheels = Driving line. This should be banned, this instills someone elses lines, and will mess with you big time.

I was rubbish at the Nurb and hated it.
After Golding them all, I learnt a lot and now love the Nurb A LOT.
You need to really learn the track to be able to Gold them.
 
I've never seen such corner cutting before as I just have watching those videos above. Is that necessary to gold those events? I have golded most but not all, but the ones I did gold were done using clean driving techniques.

I didn't cut any corners and golded them all with my G25 wheel. I really had to throw both cars around more than I usually like, but it worked out. I had a few accidents, but the good thing is that it is a game, so it is easier to find the limit. I had all aids off except ABS - 1.

The best part after you gold them, is you get like 7 Mercedes after you complete them 👍
 
Every aid on?
That will slow you down.
TCS and ASM definitely slow you down.
You should only be using ABS 1, and may be you want to invest in a wheel?

Invest in a wheel you say... Don't know about that.
For the moment I can get gold on almost every special event.
Haven't tried the nascar yet. I have 3 bronze medals on the grand tour event,
but never tried it that hard.
I'm now level 30 and I aim for bronze for the vettel challenge. If I manage that,
I'm a happy man.

So I'm slower with TCS and ASM on, and I still can get gold. I must be a pro :lol:
 
Aids will slow you down. You do not need a wheel, but simply practice, track knowledge and being creative with your driving lines. ABS 1, and just keep trying, it's not easy especially on DS3, but it's very doable. Trying to think of more to say, but just keep trying, it's definitely ok once you get the hang of it.

For the full laps, I found the intermediate lap the most difficult. You have to get gold in every sector, and find 2 seconds from elsewhere, while with wet laps it gives you extra time. I think i put TC on 1 for those, might have been 5, but remember that sliding about everywhere is slower than just braking and accelerating fast out the corner. Letting go off the accelerator is very useful when wet.
 
Invest in a wheel you say... Don't know about that.
For the moment I can get gold on almost every special event.
Haven't tried the nascar yet. I have 3 bronze medals on the grand tour event,
but never tried it that hard.
I'm now level 30 and I aim for bronze for the vettel challenge. If I manage that,
I'm a happy man.

So I'm slower with TCS and ASM on, and I still can get gold. I must be a pro :lol:

A wheel will make your driving your experience so much better, and ASM slows you down massively, turn it off and you'll be flying :)
 
This. Driving aids (apart from SRF) actually inhibit a cars performance. Turn them all off and you will start getting much faster times. I would keep ABS at 1 though as this seems the most realistic.

That depends on your level of experience though. I dont have too much experience and if I try to race with ASM or whatever thats called off, I spin out on every turn. It never fails. Ive only played 1 GT game before, and spent maybe a total of 3 hours on it.
 
That depends on your level of experience though. I dont have too much experience and if I try to race with ASM or whatever thats called off, I spin out on every turn. It never fails. Ive only played 1 GT game before, and spent maybe a total of 3 hours on it.

I suggest just learning with ABS 1, if you are serious about getting good in the game, you need to get use to it.
If you drive with SRF on for example for a long time, and then turn it off, it'll take some getting use to. So start with it off.
 
I was able to gold all of the 3rd event which takes place in the rain. Still need gold on stage 3 of beginner and 4th stage of advanced. I haven't even attempted the the final series yet.
 
A wheel will make your driving your experience so much better, and ASM slows you down massively, turn it off and you'll be flying :)

You are probably right but I'm a poor student :banghead:
I need my money to spend on beer ;)
 
I know it's a really old thread but no one seems to have mentioned this tip so I'll just put it here.

Key to getting golds in the beginner challenges is mostly the track knowledge but also the way you drive your car. I've beaten it using Sixaxis with 1 ABS and 0 on tcs, asm and other aids.
The Key is to use a Manual Gearbox and to change the gear right before the rev limiter kicks in(which kicks in slightly after 7000rpm so you should be upshifting at 7000rpm)

I know the first sector is really easy but i was struggling with the 2,3 and 4(getting really close within the gold times with luck, time to time, but still not getting them). I've read somewhere that the car seems to rev up slowly in the 3rd gear so I decided over-rev through just the 3rd gear. I was able to cut some time but I still wasn't getting a gold; so I over revved through all the gears. I've beaten 2,3,4 in my first tries using this method. Hope this helps for ppl who havent gotten the golds yet!(and enjoy the new photomode locations!)
 
Back