• Thread starter Dotini
  • 5 comments

Dotini

(Banned)
United States
Seattle
CR80_Shifty
Nurburgring 4hr endurance race - 200 A-spec Points

After a restless close season, naturally I was delighted to receive my gilt-edged invitation to the 62nd revival of the Ancien Pilotes Assn.'s 4h hours of endurance at that classic Eiffel mountain circuit, the Nurburgring Nordschleiffe. Knowing my good friend, the Count Hans Dieter Peter Gleuben-Schreuben would be driving his factory prepared Opel Speedster Turbo, I wanted to put on a good show, so cast about my small garage for a suitable steed. Seeing only a tired old Elan S1, my daily driver Camaro SS, and a dilapidated Giulia Sprint Speciale under a tarp at the back, I settled upon my '00 Lotus Elise 111R track car, with 12,000 miles of hard usage, but recently upgraded at the shop.
http://www.gtvault.com/gt4/setup-view/s_sid::8276/Elise-111R-Dotini2001/

Also starting at this prestigious event were a Mazda RX-8 Type S, Jaguar S-Type R, Alfa Romeo 147 GTA, and a Ford Focus RS. Hans and I started 5th and 6th.

Although my Elise could go 5+ laps on S1's, I seized on a strategy of S1/S2 to start the race, switching to S2's all-around at the 1st stop. This would match Han's 4 lap stints, allowing me to keep a close watch over him. On lap 28 of the 30 scheduled, I planned to take on S3's as my hole card in case the race was close.

In the event, Hans spun his tires at the start, my rear S2's hooked up and I quickly got to the lead by Aremburg on the first lap. Despite climbing to 2nd, Hans had a troubled first lap and clouted the barrier at the final chicane in his Speedster, reversing painfully across the course, hitting another wall, and reversing yet again, losing 18 seconds in the awful process. Hans soon recovered, and my comfy gap gradually narrowed to 5 seconds at the 1st round of stops, after which it expanded, then narrowed again at the 2nd stops. At the stops on lap 16, Hans, likely hurrying to replace his Schnapps bottle into the glove box, unaccountably missed the pitlane, and lost almost 5 minutes on his next disastrous red-tired lap! Naturally I drove sedately to the finish, commiserating with Hans after the race, and finishing off the remainder his flask in deepest sympathy.

(After 30 laps of racing, at 4:01'25.627, I led at the flag by 4'43.)

Last edited:
Congrats Dotini on a great race, but commiserations to Hans. 👍

Nicely done Dotini!

On lap 16, when Hans had his problems, had you just entered the pits for new tires?

Do you remember the top speed that your Elise was traveling down the long straight?

Respectfully,
GTsail

Nicely done Dotini!

On lap 16, when Hans had his problems, had you just entered the pits for new tires?

Do you remember the top speed that your Elise was traveling down the long straight?

Respectfully,
GTsail

Thanks GTsail,

Yes, I had just entered the pits for new S2's, and was expecting Hans to come in behind me when, to my astonishment, I saw that I was in 2nd and he suddenly had flashed by! I knew in that instant that I had the race won, yet, ironically, it was the only lap I did not lead!

I do not recall the exact speed I was doing at the bridge, but it was under 150, I think. I know it would pick up speed after the bridge to something above 150, and I had it geared (see GTVault setup) such that I had good overhead for drafting. I will check it if you like and and get you an exact figure. The car had very worn oil, and 214hp on the sell screen.

Respectfully,
Dotini

Edit: Speed at the Antoniusbuche Bridge just touched 148mph, creeping slowly through 146 and 147. On the downhill run to Tiergarten, she would pull to 154mph or just a bit more. Quickness in the Elise comes from keeping her well up in the rev range, by virtue of much rowing with the gearshift lever, or in this case, paddle shifters.

Note: Per now usual practice, I took no shortcuts or wallrides, and carried no nitrous. Minor blocking was employed only in the first stint.

Last edited:
Edit: Speed at the Antoniusbuche Bridge just touched 148mph, creeping slowly through 146 and 147. On the downhill run to Tiergarten, she would pull to 154mph or just a bit more. Quickness in the Elise comes from keeping her well up in the rev range, by virtue of much rowing with the gearshift lever, or in this case, paddle shifters.....

Thanks Dotini -

The Elise is really moving then if its hitting 147 and 148 at the Bridge. Nice! I hope to give it a try at some point. The top speed for many of my runs with other cars is about 140mph, so the Elise must be nicely aerodynamic.

I see from your GTvault posting that you have the ballast moved way to the front. Did you find that having it as far forward as -23 to be an advantage? Next time I drive the Elise, I'm going to move the ballast further forward (I checked my Elise and it has the ballast at -10).

Respectfully,
GTsail

Last edited:
GTsail, note that this Elise is the 111R, the only Elise in the game with a six-speed gearbox. It's a crucial difference, and I think if I were to do it over, I would try the tranny trick. A great launch out of Galgenkopf and a carwash prior to the race doesn't hurt either. It's also important to have worn oil, as it allows you to use higher states of tunes such as Stage II, which extends the rev range.

I have run the 111R's ballast balance as far forward as -30 with no ill effects. The real purpose of this adjustment is to balance the tire wear. Move the balance away from the end of the car that wears the tires the most. This adjustment of course will vary from individual to individual, so you must find the final figure that's best for you. Once you have the best overall tire wear, you can then play with the final spring rates to ultra-fine tune any residual handling issues for you, and possibly reduce TCS to liberate the last pony or two. Note that LSD adjustment can balance the tire wear between the left and right rear tires.

I make no claim that the lineup I used in this race was the most ideal possible in terms of A-spec points, but it was the best I have found so far for humbling the Speedster. It's crucial to get a superb start and get the Speedster behind you as quickly as possible in order to restrain any breakaway before you can pit (without refueling) and take on those stickier tires.

Respectfully,
Dotini

Last edited:
Back