Annoying thing in GT4

• Thread starter Mati PL
  • 23 comments
Hi. I have realised that when You are driving straight ahead on a straight road and try to MINIMALLY turn left or right the car will back up on the road.

WEIRD.

IS there a way to turn this off? I am kinda new to GT4 so I dont know.. Maybe its supposed to be like that... IDK.

(sorry for my english if something is not understandable)

But.. with aids ON or OFF.. the car should go STRAIGHT i guess.. Just try it.. Go on a straight then turn a little and look how it backs up on going straight again.

backs up on going straight agina. I really dont understand your meaning.

when you turn a little it still goes straight down the road instead of diagonally?
or
it wont go back to being straight?

lol

the thing is:

I am going straight > i turn a little bit (changing the car angle on the road) > then the car somehow goes back to perfect straight angle

I'm with Tulok on this: I'm not sure what you mean. Let's start off with the obvious questions....are you using a dual-shock controller or a wheel? By "back up on the road" do you mean your car starts going in reverse? :confused:

Last edited:
I get what he is saying.

Your driving straight down a road, your car is traveling parallel to the road edges. He turns the wheel a little, the car moves to that direction, but then it continues driving parallel to the road edges, just over to one side.

Go try it in your real car, and the same thing will happen, your only changing the direction a little bit. especially if you are just steering quick, then steering back to center.

I get what he is saying.

Your driving straight down a road, your car is traveling parallel to the road edges. He turns the wheel a little, the car moves to that direction, but then it continues driving parallel to the road edges, just over to one side.

Go try it in your real car, and the same thing will happen, your only changing the direction a little bit. especially if you are just steering quick, then steering back to center.

Huh, okay. I'm still confused. After I flick the steering a tad in GT4, my car always seems to be heading in that direction--it's not going parallel to the side of the road anymore. :confused: That's why I was wondering if Mati has a wheel or a DS2.

Last edited:
In GT3 you keep going the direction you steered, you the player has to correct the direction to keep with the path of the road or you'll keep going right or left and hit a barrier.
In GT4, It corrects automatically back to the directional path of the road with out any interaction from you-the player.

I would venture to guess that the problem he talked about is the "Automatic Wheel Centering" that is apparent in GT4.

i would guess you are thinking what i am thinking. that if you are using the ds2 and you push on the d-pad to go right then let go, the wheels will straighten again. you wont be going parrallel to what you were before but in a straight line on your now current direction. not in a continuous circle.

if you were using a stering wheel, if you turn the wheel to go around a corner then let go of the wheel, the sterring would right itself back to straight.

i would guess you are thinking what i am thinking. that if you are using the ds2 and you push on the d-pad to go right then let go, the wheels will straighten again. you wont be going parrallel to what you were before but in a straight line on your now current direction. not in a continuous circle.

if you were using a stering wheel, if you turn the wheel to go around a corner then let go of the wheel, the sterring would right itself back to straight.

This is my understanding also.

And, of course, it happens in real life. If I turn my actual car slightly to the left and let go, the steering wheel will return itself to the centre position (well... not at the moment, since the tracking is majestically out) as the wheels themselves straighten out due to friction forces.

In GT3 you keep going the direction you steered, you the player has to correct the direction to keep with the path of the road or you'll keep going right or left and hit a barrier.

In GT4, It corrects automatically back to the directional path of the road with out any interaction from you-the player.

YES! That's what i was talking about!

(and sorry again for my ****ty English)

It does??? :confused: are we playing the same game? I mean they both auto-correct (GT3 and GT4), yet in both you also have to manually change your direction or you'll hit something. You guys got me totally confused.

Last edited:
The most annoying thing for me about GT4 is that you are stuck with the same list of music all the time. Eventually when you have heard every song 20,000 times they all start to get very old and bland. It would be nice if there was a much more extensive list of music.

The only other thing that I have to complain about is the horrible physics, but then again its hard to find a racing game that doesn't have horrible physics. They all have their flaws I suppose.

Well the HAND-BRAKE physics is very weird IMO.

And you cannot do doughnuts even with RWD car.

Oh for the Love of whomever, Please don't bring up a discussion of Donuts...

there's already a discussion that has died off in the Tuning &Settings section and 2) GT doesn't promote Donut-related type of driving.

Handbrakes, yes are a bit strange..

as for the original topic discussion.. it's not an annoying thing, it makes sense, it happens in real life.. thats a Pro:tup: on GT4 improvement on realistic Physics

The most annoying thing for me about GT4 is that you are stuck with the same list of music all the time. Eventually when you have heard every song 20,000 times they all start to get very old and bland. It would be nice if there was a much more extensive list of music.

The only other thing that I have to complain about is the horrible physics, but then again its hard to find a racing game that doesn't have horrible physics. They all have their flaws I suppose.

Dude, have you ever tried GT1 or GT2? There is no song library. You get stuck with whatever song shows up (if you have music on that is) and then it plays the same song over and over again..it don't toggle to new music at all. This means if you're doing an enduro...it will literally play one song (and only that song) for an hour or 2! :banghead:

Well.. it does it just minimally. It's almost unnoticeable but annoying ;/

I see.

Sorry,I believe the original poster Mati PL was talking about on the Straightaways (in a straight line) such as/on the Test Course, try it. Yes you still have to turn/steer the car to make it go around any corner or stay with the banking such as/on the Test Course and yes all the cars DO auto center the steering if you let go of the wheel. But in GT4, it will also auto corrects it self to a STRAIGHT LINE of the DIRECTIONAL PATH of the STRAIGHTAWAYS all by it's self when you let go of the steering wheel, In GT3, GT2, GT1 = it does not.

Cars in real life will also return to straight if you just turn the wheel a bit as well, in large part due to the auto-centering effect of the caster designed into most modern cars.

Cruiserdude
Cars in real life will also return to straight if you just turn the wheel a bit as well, in large part due to the auto-centering effect of the caster designed into most modern cars.
It's more to do with the added friction of the tyres being any other direction than straight, which causes the least resistance - but that's immaterial. Yes, cars should return to a straight-line behaviour on level surfaces, ie, not turning unless being given input, but that is not what this thread was started for. The original poster was asking why GT4 corrects the car to follow the straight line of the track's direction (rather than it's own direction), which the car should not do.

Yes, it would straighten up to go in a non-turning line along the heading you turned it to - this is not necessarily the line of the track, whereas GT4 seems to think it is.

If this effect were to be stronger in the game, you wouldn't need to steer at all, ever. And is that realistic? Hmm. :P

DE

It's more to do with the added friction of the tyres being any other direction than straight, which causes the least resistance - but that's immaterial. Yes, cars should return to a straight-line behaviour on level surfaces, ie, not turning unless being given input, but that is not what this thread was started for. The original poster was asking why GT4 corrects the car to follow the straight line of the track's direction (rather than it's own direction), which the car should not do.

Yes, it would straighten up to go in a non-turning line along the heading you turned it to - this is not necessarily the line of the track, whereas GT4 seems to think it is.

If this effect were to be stronger in the game, you wouldn't need to steer at all, ever. And is that realistic? Hmm. :P

DE

Ah, I gotcha. I wasn't quite sure what he was referring to, I thought he just meant the cars would straighten out. As far as them returning to the racing line, I'm not sure what that's all about...

Back