Another Car Buying Thread (40k or less, new or used)

• Thread starter Kent
  • 5 comments

Kent

Retired
Staff Emeritus
United States
Southern Louisiana
GTP_Kent
Looking for some feedback just to hear some different perspectives.

Currently driving a 2011 WRX STI Hatchback with no "real" mods. Daily driven and sitting on 36,000 miles. Excellent condition, never babied, never abused.

Title Says it all...

Best car, new or used, under 40k

It's got to do everything. Seat at least two people (preferably 4), fun, fast, etc.
I'd like to think it needs to be a worthy replacement for my STI.

Currently considering...
Porsche Cayman ('09 or newer)
BMW E92 M3
BMW 228i
BMW 335i ('11 or newer)

Give me opinions, try to support them if you can (avoid posting if it will be nothing more than a car name).

Thanks and have fun!

In a completely unbiased opinion, I recommend the W211 E55 wagon!

Since it's clear you want a little performance, do you have a preference? I'm assuming German is #1 judging from the list, but would you consider an American car such as a Pontiac G8 GT/GXP? Or do you think something more luxurious would fit the bill?

Luxury is definitely a concern, it's part of why I'm slowly leaning away from the STI I'm currently driving. Regarding german or anything else, it's of no major concern to me where the car comes from, I'm more worried about finding the right car for the job.

I would like to be able to focus on the feel of the drive, hence consideration for the Cayman but even that is just a possibility since there are obvious draw-backs to something with two seats, two trunks, repair bills that would make hospitals jealous, and an engine that would have a hard time keeping up with most of the sedans I'm considering.

At the moment I'm really interested in the 228i with an M performance package. The interior and steering wheel look incredible and the size is supposed to be just right. Unfortunately, getting a test drive in one will be impossible since none of my local dealers are willing to buy them without a signed buyer ordering it. :(

You've already got the 335i listed, but I just wanted to mention the 335is in case you've never heard of it. The difference between the 335is and the regular 335i is essentially the same as the 228i vs. 228i M-Sport.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also, what about an E46 M3? With your low annual mileage (36k on a four year old car), you could end up selling it for what you bought it for, with the way they're appreciating lately.

^Those and low mile E39 M5s are definitely good choices if you don't want to lose much on the resale, but they really are older cars by now, not sure if he wants something newer.

You can probably find an E60 M5 with something like 30K miles in the high 30s, they've depreciated insanely and hit bottom like a year or two ago and that means there's actually some really good ones for not crazy money.
This one even has a manual so you wouldn't have to worry about the SMG:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=00971&endYear=2011&modelCode1=M5&sortBy=mileageASC&showcaseOwnerId=57276580&startYear=2006&makeCode1=BMW&searchRadius=0&maxPrice=40000&mmt=[BMW[M5[]][]]&minPrice=30000&listingId=388031289&Log=0
Then again, I probably would not own one of those out of warranty, so I'd reccommend one with warranty still left over or a good third party one for peace of mind. You could also get an older one with the same miles as your car for $9K under budget
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=00971&endYear=2011&modelCode1=M5&sortBy=mileageASC&showcaseOwnerId=57276580&startYear=2006&makeCode1=BMW&searchRadius=0&maxPrice=40000&mmt=[BMW[M5[]][]]&minPrice=30000&listingId=390539652&Log=0
Buuut being an E60 M5 even with miles so low you might actually end up throwing the $9K back at it in preventive stuff, maintenance and repairs during those 4 years.

If you want a new car, I think the new 5.0 mustang offers a lot of bang for your buck, you can get one pretty much loaded with options for 40 grand, brand spanking new. 430HP, 0-60 in the mid 4s, a warranty, new car smell, IRS, decent interior with the right options.

Last edited:
Back