Another Fanatec vs Thrustmaster thread

Hello everyone, hopefully you don't get bored by similar topics that are all over the place, however each case is different. Thread is a bit long, but I really need to be sure I enter the game again.

Proud owner of an almighty G25, still going strong, works as it did the first day I got it - served me well in hundreds of hours of GT5 as well as hundreds of hours in PC racers - Project Cars, Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, Race 07, etc.

I bought the GT Sport PS4 edition and haven't even touched GT Sport, because I don't want to ruin my experience with a controller. I don't want to 'fake the experience' using a GIMX controller or the such. Also, another problem is that I am a fairly new dad (2.5y/o son) and can't really play during the day either because... he just won't let me (sitting on my lap, stepping on the pedals, pushing buttons)... and I also can't play at night since the G25 is so loud. Currently playing Forza Motorsport 7 and Dirt Rally 2.0 on pc - enjoying them as hell the 3-4hours every two weeks I can play.

Before going into my questions, I want to say that I miss 2 things - on the PS3 I just plugged the damn thing and worked great out of the box for GT5. Also, back then when I got it there wasn't too much variety so it was too common to find great fine tuned tweaks that worked well - best experience with a wheel so far has been Race 07 and Dirt Rally (the previous one). I love sims, but the canned effects back then did a really good job - which you need to spend tons of hours tweaking now (that I can't afford) or I just keep testing other people settings from various forums to get a semi-good experience.

Anyway, so, my requirements for a wheel are: reliable, quiet, good feeling, future-proofness.

After reading a million of threads, obviously I am at the bottom of the wheel-ecosystem chain, so any other new wheel would have a better feeling - excluding g29, that I expect pretty much be the same MINUS the shifter - so I am not paying to buy the same thing just to play GTSport although I feel it will be just as reliable.

I am flirting with T300GT RS, but I am put off by the million of threads with burned PSUs, or this or that problem. I'd love to have the T500 reliability with the T300 feeling I guess. Concerning T-GT, if someone could convince me that is more reliable and plays just as good on the PC Games as the T300RS I would consider it.

Fanatec CSL would be the next level, but I would hate to have a problem with it and have to replace it. Just from reading the threads, I think Fanatec is somewhat better in terms of reliability, but still people continue having issues with it. Also, twice the price range of the T300, the future-proofness worries me. What would happen if PS5 doesn't support it? Too much risk.

a) Buy T300GT RS - hopefully it doesn't break down on me. I'd be willing to pay it twice the price if Thrustmaster could guarantee it would be G25-bulletproof.
b) Get T-GT if someone can 'guarantee' it's more reliable.
c) Get Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 wheel base + wheel and use my G25 pedals -I saw there's some cable adapter for this.
d) Wait until PS5 is released (but that's a whole damn year) to see about new wheels, etc

I guess the above solutions would allow me to play during night time. Thing is, I see videos of sims EVERY single day, and play Forza Horizon 4 with a controller just to play a racing game. I want to be able to play at night, I want to be care-free of reliability issues, I want a new feeling from my wheel, I want into sim racing again.

hello, I have a T300GT RS for 1 year and I'm delighted ...... no problem reliability, not very noisy even when the fan starts.
I think those who are in trouble with it, it's because they put the force back too strong ....... maybe the pleasure of driving a truck ....... I settle the back to 3 and 4 and that's fine ...
excuse my english, this is a Google translation ...... lol

Rather than provide specific advice I would say that all the wheels currently available have pretty much the same reliability. I would not read much into posts by people with problems. The amount of problems are pretty much in line with the amount of wheels of each type sold.

I should say I have owned t300, t-gt and fanatec csl elite f1 ps4. All built to the same quality except the fanatec pedals feel better built but no sign of an issue with thrustmaster pedals.

CJ

Well, obviously based on statistics there are (or should be) more customers without problems... but.. what if I get a faulty unit. Also considering the fact that the T300 has almost 2x the torque of the G25 and I would be more than happy to use it at half its output.

@CJ1045.. would you consider the T-GT better than the T300RS? What's your current setup?

A T300RS victim here only after two months of use. My T300RS never calibrated properly and always had problems calibrating my T300Rs in games and in the Thrustmaster software. Luckily for me I was able to get a full refund and bought a second hand G27.

c) Get Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 wheel base + wheel and use my G25 pedals -I saw there's some cable adapter for this.
Are you sure about this because I do not know the existence of such an adapter.
Wait until PS5 is released (but that's a whole damn year) to see about new wheels, etc
No matter how difficult it is, my advice is to do exactly this because there is probability the PS4 wheels to not be compatible with PS5.

No matter how difficult it is, my advice is to do exactly this because there is probability the PS4 wheels to not be compatible with PS5.

I think that the TGT and the Fanatec have a great chance to be compatible with the PS5, my main question is about the T500.

Im also using my t500 till now. Good quality build like a tank. Im worried also if it supported in ps5. Time will tell.

From my experience in this forum the T-GT and CSL are equally reliable. The T-GT is used in E-sports, so i am pretty sure they are very reliable.

The choice that is more important is if you want to invest more in the future. Fanatec gives you a great ecosystem with much more options, like loadcell brake (LC) pedals. Thrustmaster also have an ecosystem, just much less expansive and no LC pedals.

As for PS5 support, I would say its very likely it will backwards support PS4 wheels. Why do i think so? Because it is confirmed PS4 will be fully supported. And specifically GTsport (first party game) supports the CSL and TGT. It would be strange if you load up the game and have the option of CSL and TGT, but the hardware not supporting the peripherals? Sony could chose to screw us and make us buy them all over again.

As for PS5 support, I would say its very likely it will backwards support PS4 wheels. Why do i think so? Because it is confirmed PS4 will be fully supported. And specifically GTsport (first party game) supports the CSL and TGT. It would be strange if you load up the game and have the option of CSL and TGT, but the hardware not supporting the peripherals? Sony could chose to screw us and make us buy them all over again.
Backwards compatibility of games is a lot different to forward compatibility of peripherals. It's very easy for Sony and PD to remove all currently supported wheels from the menu when using a PS5 and add new ones with a game update, or simply add a disclaimer..... but I doubt they will, and seriously hope they don't.

a) Buy T300GT RS - hopefully it doesn't break down on me. I'd be willing to pay it twice the price if Thrustmaster could guarantee it would be G25-bulletproof.

I've repaired a dozen of them and outside the one year warranty all bets are off.
Primary issues are overheating due to the internal psu and hall sensor/calibration issues.
My brother however has had his for 2 years, no issues.

Again outside of warranty there's no guarantees but it has a powerful 40watt brushless motor that runs cool and efficiently. The external torpedo psu is a much improved design given the choice between 300 or TGT the answer here is clear.

However, at an asking price of over $600 there is a problem.

Fanatec.

The only adapter Fanatec ever produced for Logitech pedals was this.
G25G27 PEDAL ADAPTER CABEL FOR FANATEC WHEELS-1000x666.png

It's only compatible with the old CSR line and Porsche wheels.
There are no current options with console that I'm aware of, correct me if I'm wrong...drivehub?

My opinion is as you mentioned the CSL you're okay with spending more. Then there's no Fanatec vs Thrustmaster decision anymore, for two reasons.

1) Price
The current cheapest TGT I see is $649.99 @ B&H Photo. The CSL Elite starter kit is $529.95 @ Fanatec.com.

2) For $100 less Fanatec gives you much better pedals with the option to upgrade to loadcell, a vast ecosystem of rims, finer tunability and better build quality.

I can't talk about future support as no one knows yet, but today if we're talking Fanatec vs. Thrustmaster then really we're talking TGT vs. CSL, the latter gives you more for less money.

I'm no fanboy either way, also the owner of this site has a TGT and loves it. I also think the TSPC is a fantastic wheel for the price and wish it was compatible with console.

I've repaired a dozen of them and outside the one year warranty all bets are off.
Primary issues are overheating due to the internal psu and hall sensor/calibration issues.

Again outside of warranty there's no guarantees but it has a powerful 40watt brushless motor that runs cool and efficiently. The external torpedo psu is a much improved design given the choice between 300 or TGT the answer here is clear.

Fanatec.

View attachment 821387
There are no current options with console that I'm aware of, correct me if I'm wrong...drivehub?

My opinion is as you mentioned the CSL you're okay with spending more. Then there's no Fanatec vs Thrustmaster decision anymore, for two reasons.

1) Price
The current cheapest TGT I see is $649.99 @ B&H Photo. The CSL Elite starter kit is $529.95 @ Fanatec.com.

2) For $100 less Fanatec gives you much better pedals with the option to upgrade to loadcell, a vast ecosystem of rims, finer tunability and better build quality.

I can't talk about future support as no one knows yet, but today if we're talking Fanatec vs. Thrustmaster then really we're talking TGT vs. CSL, the latter gives you more for less money.

I'm no fanboy either way, also the owner of this site has a TGT and loves it. I also think the TSPC is a fantastic wheel for the price and wish it was compatible with console.
Is there a reason why Thrustmaster doesn't sell the T-GT base separately? I like the wheel options of Thrustmaster better (except for the 300€ BMW wheel) but I absolutely couldn't spend any money for the T-GT rim, which imo looks toyish and cheap.

Is there a reason why Thrustmaster doesn't sell the T-GT base separately? I like the wheel options of Thrustmaster better (except for the 300€ BMW wheel) but I absolutely couldn't spend any money for the T-GT rim, which imo looks toyish and cheap.

I don't know why they didn't offer the base standalone can only assume it was always meant to be a one piece GT Sport enhancing design.
I guess my Fanatec P1 rim could look toyish and cheap too but I honestly can't stand the way alcantara feels after it's been used a year so I'll always choose plastic and rubber.

I don't know why they didn't offer the base standalone can only assume it was always meant to be a one piece GT Sport enhancing design.
I guess my Fanatec P1 rim could look toyish and cheap too but I honestly can't stand the way alcantara feels after it's been used a year so I'll always choose plastic and rubber.
No, I like the P1. It's not about leather vs alcantara for me, it's about the T-GT's grey spoke, the wild button layout and the huge logo. Also it's too small with 28cm. I like wheels that are closer resembling real counterparts.
But that's all personal taste anyways.

Well, guys.. I got the Fanatec CSL Elite and CSL Elite pedals with Loadcell. Haven't been able to test much, but first impressions are really positive. Trying to find my way through configs, etc, have a million questions so look me up on a different thread coming near you... shortly! :)

I'm victim of T300 alcantra and Fanatec csl elite.

T300 alcantra: 3 dead wheelbases. Gave up and upgraded to fanatec.

Fanatec csl elite: Shifting issues and wheel calibration issues(45-90°) during race.

Gave up on sim racing..

I'm victim of T300 alcantra and Fanatec csl elite.

T300 alcantra: 3 dead wheelbases. Gave up and upgraded to fanatec.

Fanatec csl elite: Shifting issues and wheel calibration issues(45-90°) during race.

Gave up on sim racing..
I am very sorry to hear that.

Hello everyone, hopefully you don't get bored by similar topics that are all over the place, however each case is different. Thread is a bit long, but I really need to be sure I enter the game again.

Proud owner of an almighty G25, still going strong, works as it did the first day I got it - served me well in hundreds of hours of GT5 as well as hundreds of hours in PC racers - Project Cars, Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, Race 07, etc.

I bought the GT Sport PS4 edition and haven't even touched GT Sport, because I don't want to ruin my experience with a controller. I don't want to 'fake the experience' using a GIMX controller or the such. Also, another problem is that I am a fairly new dad (2.5y/o son) and can't really play during the day either because... he just won't let me (sitting on my lap, stepping on the pedals, pushing buttons)... and I also can't play at night since the G25 is so loud. Currently playing Forza Motorsport 7 and Dirt Rally 2.0 on pc - enjoying them as hell the 3-4hours every two weeks I can play.

Before going into my questions, I want to say that I miss 2 things - on the PS3 I just plugged the damn thing and worked great out of the box for GT5. Also, back then when I got it there wasn't too much variety so it was too common to find great fine tuned tweaks that worked well - best experience with a wheel so far has been Race 07 and Dirt Rally (the previous one). I love sims, but the canned effects back then did a really good job - which you need to spend tons of hours tweaking now (that I can't afford) or I just keep testing other people settings from various forums to get a semi-good experience.

Anyway, so, my requirements for a wheel are: reliable, quiet, good feeling, future-proofness.

After reading a million of threads, obviously I am at the bottom of the wheel-ecosystem chain, so any other new wheel would have a better feeling - excluding g29, that I expect pretty much be the same MINUS the shifter - so I am not paying to buy the same thing just to play GTSport although I feel it will be just as reliable.

I am flirting with T300GT RS, but I am put off by the million of threads with burned PSUs, or this or that problem. I'd love to have the T500 reliability with the T300 feeling I guess. Concerning T-GT, if someone could convince me that is more reliable and plays just as good on the PC Games as the T300RS I would consider it.

Fanatec CSL would be the next level, but I would hate to have a problem with it and have to replace it. Just from reading the threads, I think Fanatec is somewhat better in terms of reliability, but still people continue having issues with it. Also, twice the price range of the T300, the future-proofness worries me. What would happen if PS5 doesn't support it? Too much risk.

d) Wait until PS5 is released (but that's a whole damn year) to see about new wheels, etc

I guess the above solutions would allow me to play during night time. Thing is, I see videos of sims EVERY single day, and play Forza Horizon 4 with a controller just to play a racing game. I want to be able to play at night, I want to be care-free of reliability issues, I want a new feeling from my wheel, I want into sim racing again.

Fanatec.

View attachment 821387

1) Price

I'm no fanboy either way, also the owner of this site has a TGT and loves it. I also think
I think what he was referring to is the Drivehub. https://collectiveminds.ca/shop/allconsoles/drivehub/

I have been using this nifty device by using my G-27 on my PS4-Pro since the day GTS came out.

Not only does it allow you to use a peripheral made for an older generation console on a new console, but it also has other benefits.

The Drivehub can also mix and match practically any peripheral.

For instance, my G-27 recently broke and got a T300 RS GT. Now, I can still use my G-27 shifter with the T300.. Or, I can go get the Fanatec V3 pedals and use that instead of the TH3PA Pedals etc. etc.

As for your concerns for compatability for future systems. With the Drivehub around, I wouldn't worry about not being able to use PS4 peripherals on the PS5 going forward mate.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back