Another new guy who is sure to win

United States
Minnesota
Kiba_Stryker
I kid, but why try if you don't think you have a chance right? I recently acquired GT6 and a G27 with the intentions on competing for at spot in the hopefully soon to be announced GTA 2015. I took a long hiatus from GT, after starting 3, and have mostly been an Xbox guy since. I can tell from just the short time with GT6 that they games done transfer terribly well, but it is all new with the wheel setup as well, so all bet's are off.

I am going to try and jump in on some weekly races, as I have done that in the past and really enjoy it, plus the extra experience against other drivers is key. I have been karting a couple times, and autocross my RX8 when I get a chance, so hopefully I can put everything together and see where the chips land. Not holding my breath, because I like breathing, but this is still the most cost effective way to try and become a legit driver, although it probably has the longest odds.

PSN and driver name are both Kiba Stryker see you chaps out on the circuits!

I don't know what the most recent Forza's feel like, but I developed my speed in Forza 1/2/3 before moving to iRacing, and then on to GT Academy 2012. Each required learning the nuances of that specific game, but in the end the crucial skills for going fast are the same. Just put in as much quality practice time as you can, race/hotlap with people that are better than you and willing to help you learn, and be persistent. Some people are naturals, the rest of us just have to spend a lot of time hammering home the skills needed to go fast.

I didn't have a wheel on Forza, and it seems like that is more crucial in GT than it was in Forza. Top 1000 times were easy in Forza with the controller, and I had a top 10 time once or twice. The big thing right now is getting my office rearranged so I can get some consistent time in after the 1 year old goes to bed, and of course after all my other student, father, homeowner, husband responsibilities. Hint for the young guys out there, NEVER GROW UP! I kid, I kid... Kind of.
I am also trying to find some local guys that do Chump Car, World Racing League, etc if for nothing else but to hang out and be around on race days. Surely once it's not a tundra up here, I will be autocrossing as much as I can but I would like to sneak my way into some chump car time too.

I found it only took about a week or two to start beating my controller times when I switched to a wheel. It feels weird at first, but you'll adjust quickly. Then you'll start realizing you should have switched a long time ago with the increased control of steering input, throttle, brake, etc. Enjoy!

I think the online seasonal time trials are the single best way to progress, monitor your progression, and compare yourself to your 'competition'

That's where I'd start.. Wait.. That's where I did start :D

I kid, but why try if you don't think you have a chance right? I recently acquired GT6 and a G27 with the intentions on competing for at spot in the hopefully soon to be announced GTA 2015. I took a long hiatus from GT, after starting 3, and have mostly been an Xbox guy since. I can tell from just the short time with GT6 that they games done transfer terribly well, but it is all new with the wheel setup as well, so all bet's are off.

I am going to try and jump in on some weekly races, as I have done that in the past and really enjoy it, plus the extra experience against other drivers is key. I have been karting a couple times, and autocross my RX8 when I get a chance, so hopefully I can put everything together and see where the chips land. Not holding my breath, because I like breathing, but this is still the most cost effective way to try and become a legit driver, although it probably has the longest odds.

PSN and driver name are both Kiba Stryker see you chaps out on the circuits!

You will need the eyes of a hawk, the reflexes of a cat, the fitness of an athlete, the skills of Jim Clark and to live like a monk - when you need a break from that try this:

Trans Am Retro Poster Final.jpg

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...0-gmt-join-us-mr-fast-or-captain-slow.312797/

When you can lap the slow guys and beat the fast guys you could be ready for GT Academy - we use old cars which help build car control.

All these weekend and GMT time races are killing me! If I do end up with time I will try and shoot you guys a message. I know the next two weeks at least are a no go for me though. Thanks for the invite though.

I advise you to join WRS. It has both time trials and one-make races, like the ones you'd experience in GT Academy.
Plus many of the people who you'd likely be competing against (in GT Academy) are in it too, so you can get to know them and how fast they are.
Thank you for the information. I will have to take a closer look at getting registered this weekend after my end of the session pile of homework, reorg of the office, and of course a D&D session Sunday because I am that nerdy. But again thanks for the heads up and I will definitely check out that group/thread/thingy.

Thank you for the information. I will have to take a closer look at getting registered this weekend after my end of the session pile of homework, reorg of the office, and of course a D&D session Sunday because I am that nerdy. But again thanks for the heads up and I will definitely check out that group/thread/thingy.
WRS is a good place to see where you stand against the broader community. The qualification run will tell you where you rank and IMO, you need to be at least D1 Bronze to have any shot at GTAcademy, preferably D1 Silver or Gold.

I can guarantee you that there will be 12 guys that wont make it very easy for to win the GT Academy lol ;)

If you want to get a good representation of where you might stand nationally, i would say do the seasonal time trial events and if you can get into the top 100 you might have a chance. At least that's how it worked for me, but by the time i was up to speed, i was getting into the top 50s in the seasonals, and I qualified 26th( Not including ineligibles ) last year.

But keep in mind, many of the faster guys wont show up until the actual GT Academy time trails, so until then, you wont know for sure.

Oh yea, and you will definitely need a wheel if you want to get passed the Nationals.

Hope that helped. :cheers:

Yeah i have a g27, and am hopefully going to get the office resituated today so I can have a permanent home for it. My hopes are high, but expectations low, and either way finally having a wheel will at least get me into the hobby more instead of all the hollow talk I have had over the years. If I dont make GT Academy, or even if I do, I will probably install either iRacing or rFactor on the PC and start getting into that as well. For now though obviously sticking to the GT6 physics is what is going to help me the most.

I should be able to make a replay tonight to submit to the fetchbot. I was looking through the posts before and figured that it was a good place to start.

Also is there any reason why I wouldn't left foot brake and use the paddles instead of the manual shifter? This is in terms of being fast in game. I drive a manual IRL everyday and have been working on heel toe in my car when I am not wearing my boots. It seems like left foot braking and paddle shifting is always going to be faster in game, but that is just a hunch.

Also is there any reason why I wouldn't left foot brake and use the paddles instead of the manual shifter? This is in terms of being fast in game. I drive a manual IRL everyday and have been working on heel toe in my car when I am not wearing my boots. It seems like left foot braking and paddle shifting is always going to be faster in game, but that is just a hunch.

The flappy paddles are much faster in GT6 than using the H pattern shifter.

Many people complain about the clutch in GT6, but it can be enjoyably used for offline e.g. career mode or with the HUD switched off if you want to maximise your enjoyment of / immersion in the game - save it for that because there is no way that it can be used to get a fast enough time to qualify for GT Academy or get anywhere near the top times in the time trials.

The flappy paddles are much faster in GT6 than using the H pattern shifter.

Many people complain about the clutch in GT6, but it can be enjoyably used for offline e.g. career mode or with the HUD switched off if you want to maximise your enjoyment of / immersion in the game - save it for that because there is no way that it can be used to get a fast enough time to qualify for GT Academy or get anywhere near the top times in the time trials.
I pretty much figured that, but was just curious. I just the H pattern would be useful if I got into iRacing or something as well.

I pretty much figured that, but was just curious. I just the H pattern would be useful if I got into iRacing or something as well.

I enjoy using the H pattern shifter in GT6 - especially with something like a Cobra (with Praiano tune), but you will hear many negative comments that the clutch is broken in GT6 - I don't find that, but I shift slowly with the clutch fully depressed and throttle fully off just like my real car and I don't have a problem. If you try to shift quickly you will end up missing shifts - unfortunately instead of going into a gear GT6 (and GT5 before it) shifts into neutral - it would be better if a missed shift stayed in the previous gear which I find is what happens in real life.

I don't know much about I Racing so I'm not sure what you need for that. Good luck and enjoy your racing!

Lies!! You're D2 in the WRS, I'm D1 Silver. You have beaten me in every public lobby I've had with you. We both know you're not really D2 though.

WRS is a good place to see where you stand against the broader community. The qualification run will tell you where you rank and IMO, you need to be at least D1 Bronze to have any shot at GTAcademy, preferably D1 Silver or Gold.

Lies!! You're D2 in the WRS, I'm D1 Silver. You have beaten me in every public lobby I've had with you. We both know you're not really D2 though.
I was D1 Bronze in GT5:lol:. I followed the "rules" for qualifying which was to put as much time into the WRS Qualifier as you would normally put into a TT. Doesn't make sense after all to put 4 hours into the Qualifier and then a half hour into a TT or vice versa, because your results won't match up. I don't like TT's for the most part and rarely put more than a few laps in so I didn't put a lot of time into the qualifier, certainly not enough to get close to the limits of the car. Maybe 10-15 laps in each car. At best though I'm probably D1 Bronze, I'm not on the same level as those silver and gold guys:grumpy:

Back