Another one of my hair brained lighting questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joey D
  • 20 comments
  • 1,250 views

Joey D

Premium
Messages
48,062
United States
Lakes of the North, MI
Messages
GTP_Joey
Messages
GTP Joey
Christ I can't believe I making a thread concerning something JDM. But I have a question:

Does anyone use a yellow fog light bulb like JDM cars have? And how do they work in inclimant weather. Its been really crappy around here the past few days and I have a hard time seening with my Xenon projectors...in fact I can't see anything since I'm running like 7000K bulbs in both my headlights and my fog lights. Would yellow 2500K-3000K work better?

Also my headlight are projectored, how would HID's work in there? I would want the 4200K kit which is white, not blue. I know my mom's Pacifica has HID's on it...well I think...and they are ran through a projector system. They work really well and I would like to do that to my truck. But I don't know if they would work decently with my projector system. Also I don't want to blind the hell out of other drivers.

So can anyone help me? I know I'm full of crazy questions :lol:.
 
The problem doesn't lie in the intensity of your bulbs, but the fact that there are objects (in this case snow) blocking the light projecting from them. Of course crappy bulbs will die out in intensity much sooner then decent to high end bulbs, I highly doubt that yours are insufficient for the inclimate weather. I think it's just the inclimate weather that's insufficient for your bulbs. :D
 
Well I clean them off before I go anywhere, I wipe them off when they get salty, and my lens are Rain Xed to repell water.
 
I've heard that yellows work much better in fog and rain... the lower wavelength penetrates better, but in snow, I'm not so sure.
 
Yes, high wattage, ultra white or blue bulbs absolutely suck for bad weather. My low beams are 80w 5,000k's which are super white, and the road looks like a giant sheet of glass in the rain. Yellow is always the best for it (rain/fog/snow/ice), but before I bought crappy bulbs I would try the yellow film you can apply to lenses to make them, well, yellow.
 
I'm getting the film as well if I get the lights...I gotta be JDM yo!
 
In the UK we have yellow street lights, as apposed to the white ones you get almost everywhere else. They're yellow because they shed light better in foggy/misty conditions.

...pretty much like niky stated.
 
Yellow lights? JDM? Bah! The europeans have been doing that for years! :sly:
blue5330rv.jpg


I understand the light-heartedness of the reference to "JDM," but I couldn't resist. :lol:

Anyway, the reason why yellow lights are better for snow/fog is because less light (and less-powerful light) is reflected off of the snow/fog and into your eyes (white = all light, and yellow = yellow light), making it easier for you to see the road. Red headlights/foglights would be even better, since red light is even weaker than yellow light, but...I think you understand why that would be a problem. :lol:
 
I had yellow fog lights for a few years on one of my previous vehicles, like everyone said, they work great in inclement weather.
 
Alright then I'm thinking about these...

38_1_b.JPG
 
BlazinXtreme
Alright then I'm thinking about these...

38_1_b.JPG
for headlights? Ive thought about that, I bet it would look cool on your truck, I imagine it should be legal. Not gay like those green or purple colored bulbs that I have actually seen. I cant swap the bulbs on my current setup but yellow fogs are in order at some point.
 
Well I'm going to buy 893, which are my fog light size. My regular headlight bulbs are H3 (I think) Nokya 7000K, and my high beams are the same (they suck though so I don't use em).
 
Fog Lights can look so cool!
murenhout_11.jpg
 
Hmmm... now I'm thinking about changing my bulbs... but with three sets (high, low, fog) it'll cost a lot...
 
Not really about 20 bucks a set and its well worth it...go to eBay and they'll be less.
 
in ohio either standard or xenon lights are allowed (to my knowledge, correct me if im wrong, maybe amber is too, but if so, thats all)

so be lucky other states :(
 
Yellow lights have to be legal, they come on old school cars standard, and a few Lexus's if I'm not mistaken.
 
I'm trying to decide what to do with my WRX, personally. Some Raybrig Ion Yellow bulbs would be nice for the foglights, but, on the other hand, I could use 100w bulbs instead and have better good-weather lighting. hard decision to make...
 
I went with these, 893 37.5W fog light bulbs, 25 bucks right from the company and 2 day free shipping.

jdm_yellow_main.gif


JDM Yellow.

I've decided, I want a "JDM" esque Blazer. Why might you ask? I'm confused because I think I'm still in the sport compact market :lol:. No not really, but I think the "look" is cool and no body does it in the mini truckin world. I hate being like everyone else.

I'll put up pics when I get them in.

Now on to the HID question.

BlazinXtreme
Also my headlight are projectored, how would HID's work in there? I would want the 4200K kit which is white, not blue. I know my mom's Pacifica has HID's on it...well I think...and they are ran through a projector system. They work really well and I would like to do that to my truck. But I don't know if they would work decently with my projector system. Also I don't want to blind the hell out of other drivers.
 
I really dont know how much of a difference it makes, but my 1989 Honda Prelude SI uses yellow fog lights... When I compare it to my '96 Jetta, which uses the standard white fog lights, I tend to think the Jetta lets me see better in the snow...

Me being on the West Side of Michigan, I dont know if I get more snow than you Blazin' but either one works just fine, I just prefer the Jetta overall.
 
Oh you get more snow with the lake being right there...although on Thursday we got 9 inchs dumped on us which sucked.

But ya my lights should be here tomarrow. I can't wait to put them in....JDM b**ches! :lol: I need to stop that.
 
Back