Any downside to digital PSN version?

• Thread starter RAMburger
  • 21 comments
United States
United States
c3RAMburger
Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but I've been out of the GT loop since GT5 and would still like to try 6 in the meantime waiting for 7.

So, is there any reason to get the Blu-ray version over digital? Usually it seems like digital versions are compressed more, but if all the content is the same I'd rather just download it to avoid disc swapping.

Thanks for any info.

Just a friendly heads up if you go digital get ready for a good 10 hours

Download- 130 minutes
First Install - Way past 2 hours
Download all the updates and install over 90 minutes
and the last Install well over 4 hours

Maybe faster for you if you have fast download speed which i do not have. This times are base on my download speed :cheers:

I went digital after a year of owning disc version. Install was long (patches went ok leaving it overnight). With digital you wont have the read problems on dual layer BR discs.

Load times feels faster but i did not measure them before/after.

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but I've been out of the GT loop since GT5 and would still like to try 6 in the meantime waiting for 7.

So, is there any reason to get the Blu-ray version over digital? Usually it seems like digital versions are compressed more, but if all the content is the same I'd rather just download it to avoid disc swapping.

Thanks for any info.

Disk loading times should be longer, compared to hdd, imho

Disc version or digital version, there's no time difference when you download the updates.
The main difference is, you need more diskspace for the digital version.
Not sure but you need a additional 10 or 16 GB free space for the digital.
My current size of the game with all updates up to v.1.20 is 27GB (includes some replays and photo's)

Thanks for the replies, and good to see the community is still pretty active considering how little new is happening it seems.

I went with the PSN digital version since it seemed like there would be a lot of downloading anyways, and I still have about 100GB left of space on my drive. Can't wait to see if it's even done or not by the time I get home lol.

I have a digital copy of GT6, and I can't say that I am sorry about that in any way.
If you have a fast internet connection (I have 100/100 wifi at home) DL times are a non-issue.

Digital will took about 8-12h to download and install all 25 gig (download is actually quite fast, but install...:rolleyes:) , but it goes same for the disc version except there you don't have to download basic game, but still there is 12gb+ (or something like that) of updates to download / install so all in all it takes basicaly the same time to get full version.

Regarding gameplay, game runs/loads slightly faster from hd than from disc, but for me biggest benefit is that you'll save your bluray disc drive from wearing out (my first PS3 drive died with GT6 disc in) or if you got some old PS3 it will probably run smother from hd than from half working disc drive with read errors, read re-trys, causing all kinds of streaming issues ... there no such problems with digital version ;)

The download version also means that there's no disc that may break, get lost, etc. The only thing I'm missing with the download version is that there's no case to put in the bookshelf, and no booklet to read.

You cant sell it or trade it in for another game when you realise the CM isn't coming & they shut the online server's off :)
How exactly did you realise that? How do you predict the future?

Thanks for any info.
Downloading and installing all of the updates will definitely take a considerable amount of time if you want to go digital.

If you want to go disk, you still have to download all of the updates. Which will still take a long time.

Personally, I would go digital as it will not hender your game play. :)

EDIT: Just realised you already made a decision. :)

The only downside I could think of for digital version is, of course, you can't share/lend the game to a friend who has his own PS3. The biggest advantage of a digital copy is, of course, faster loading times, since the PS3 doesn't have to load the game from an external source.

Considering GT5 is worth less than $5 used, going digital for games like this isn't a big deal.

I almost want to buy the digital version because GT6 killed 2 of my blu-ray lasers.

After playing a few races last night I can say I'm liking it more than GT5 from what I remember. Can definitely tell a difference for the better in physics even from a couple of low end cars. A stock Celica has never been more fun to drive haha.

Loading times are also much better in both menus and before gameplay. Haven't really had time to delve into the new options and features yet but it's looking well worth the $15. Season

Back