Any good racing games with livery editor?

• Thread starter Urbanliner
  • 7 comments
Japan
Saitama Pref.
ms-96
After seeing some liveries made by many people, I thought I want to create one myself. However, I do not know what game to buy. Since I only have a PS3 and a PC, I would buy games made for them, unless the console the game is on is a great one with some racing games.

iRacing.com, you can do your own paint schemes with Photoshop/Gimp/paint with the templates provided. Then upload them to tradingpaints.com to allow everyone else to see it. I must warn iRacing can get expensive. It's about $12 for cars and ovals and $15 for road courses (there's also discounts when buying in bulk of 3 (10% off) or 6 (20% off) of anything). And if you catch the Black Friday deal every year it's a $50/yr subscription.

Feel free to do some research on YouTube, good luck.

iRacing.com, you can do your own paint schemes with Photoshop/Gimp/paint with the templates provided. Then upload them to tradingpaints.com to allow everyone else to see it. I must warn iRacing can get expensive. It's about $12 for cars and ovals and $15 for road courses (there's also discounts when buying in bulk of 3 (10% off) or 6 (20% off) of anything). And if you catch the Black Friday deal every year it's a $50/yr subscription.

Feel free to do some research on YouTube, good luck.
I thought about getting iRacing before, but then got overwelmed by costs I have heard, so I don't think I will be playing that one. Thank you for the suggestion anyway.

My favourite racing game for the PS3 that has a livery editor is Midnight Club: Los Angeles. It's an arcade open-world racing game, so quite different from Gran Turismo. I've spent so much time on it while I waited for the release of GT5. In some aspects I still find it more fun that Gran Turismo.

The livery editor in the game is my favourite amongst the ones that I've tried. It's very simple to use and some of the things that you can do with it are amazing.

The Forza series is always an option, as it's one aspect they have focused on, and MC:LA as stated has a fairly basic one, still good though. Other than that, there are the Sierra/Papyrus NASCAR games, though my knowledge on that is minimal, and NR2003 seems to be the only one people play still.

Need for Speed games from Underground to ProStreet allow you to add vinyl bits to your cars. Not great, but something. As for anything else that allows you to make one outright, I can't think of anything else.

Seeing as you have a PC, TrackMania may be worth a shot. Not exactly simulation (a few settings (mainly Coast and Stadium) come quite close, though), but there's a ton of stuff you can do.

And the best part? Nations Forever is completely free.

After seeing some liveries made by many people, I thought I want to create one myself. However, I do not know what game to buy. Since I only have a PS3 and a PC, I would buy games made for them, unless the console the game is on is a great one with some racing games.

I bought an XBox 360 for cheap exclusively for the Forza series, and it's provided countless hours of happy livery designing. The system goes for even cheaper now, and FM4 is still an excellent game, with a relatively healthy online community given the age. That said, it is still a whole other system purchase for you. It also doesn't offer the ease of using Photoshop and templates like the PC games do: you're instead offered a (very thorough) stock shapes library.

The suggestions in the thread work too: Nascar Racing 2003 was more fun than I would've thought back when I played it, and while I'm not sure how easy it'd be to set up these days, games like F1 2002 or F1C had a massive amount of mods, a big one being GTR (created by the folks who ended up forming Simbin).

rfactor, gtr, live for speed. basically any pc game>console, since its easy to use photoshop or other program, without having to design everything from scratch.

Back