Any J. Cole or Kendrick Lamar fans here?Music 

• Thread starter Thomasss95
  • 21 comments
Netherlands
The Netherlands
They are the best rappers of this generation in my opinion.

Most of their songs have a strong story/lesson behind them. They don't rap about the things mainstream rappers sing about, but they want to tell a (personal) story/lesson. So the lyrics of most songs are amazing! That alone makes these rappers great in my opinion.

I could go on about what I like about them, but it's hard to explain... I think you will understand me if you regularly listen to (one of) them. :)

I would love to here if you are a fan of J. Cole or Kendrick Lamar (or both). Also, let me know what your favourite songs are.

I'm not a heavy hip-hop head but I do enjoy kendrick's and j.cole's music,they different...specially Kendrick's last album,that album was great.

I'm a huge fan of them both. I see them as two of the best rappers of this generation right now. They don't rap about money, sex, weed, the coco, and turning up on tuesdays like most mainstream rappers, but they actually tell a story with their songs.

Nice to hear there are more fans here! :D

By the way, my favourite album is 2014 Forest Hill Drive of J. Cole. Almost every song is amazing on that in my opinion!

Last edited:
Nice I love that album too,the production was good,not too mainstream or "trap-ish" and the storyline in some songs are relatable...But man,K.Dot's To Pimp a Butterfly is just a work of art,didn't like it at first,but when I started to really pay attention to the lyrics I fell in love with it,definetly worth a listen if you haven't heard it :) .

I have listened to the full album a few times now and I like it too, but I had the same as you had. First time I just liked it and now I love it. As you said, payong attention to the lyrics makes it even better!

Yup,the same happened with Kendrick's first album called section.80 (If you haven't checked that one you should),at first I kinda liked it,but after a couple of weeks I fell in love with the storyline,production and overall music quality...btw that album alone made me a fan of this type of rap music.

I also heard that album a few times. My favourite track of that album is "The Spiteful Chant". It's not the best/deepest one, but the flow is amazing in my opinion.

I like that song as well,but my favourite song in the album is "HiiiPower".I still listen to it from time to time,another good track is the "Ab-soul's Outro".Loved the Jazzy feel it has.

"HiiiPower" is a very nice song indeed, but "Ab-soul's Outro" is not my thing. I can appreciate that's something different though. :)

Curtis, have you ever listened to Joey Bada$$?

I know the name might sound like a bad rapper, but he is actually good! Not on the level of J. Cole or Kendrick Lamar, but he has his own style. If you want to listen to him, I suggest listening to "Paper Trail$". :)

Yup!,I actually own all his mixtapes and bought his B4DA$$ album the day of release,he's just too good to be 20 years old lol...Btw,just checked Lupe Fiasco's Tetsuo & Youth and Wow,What an album,you should check it out but give it some time,at first I didn't like it that much but when I started to pay attention to the lyrics I fell in love with it. :)

Hate to bump this thread, but can someone explain what the hype is around J Cole is about? I honestly don't think he's that spectacular.

Huge Kendrick lamar and jcole fan. Two of the best rap artist in the game right now. Kendrick Lamar to me should win album of the year because to pimp a butterfly was just a masterpiece. Jocle FHD was great to but i think Kendrick album was a little better than cole. Their not the only two that's doing well when it comes to rap but they are the two best atm.

Never knew this thread existed! haha I'm a HUGE K. Dot fan. I do enjoy J. Cole's music as well but can't say I follow his music like that. However, I definitely respect what he's done for the rap game and Hip-Hop industry.

TBH, I'm an avid Hip-Hop/Rap listener. Like ATCUAL Hip-Hop. Not this cookie cutter trash on the radio they play nowadays...

Huge Kendrick lamar and jcole fan. Two of the best rap artist in the game right now. Kendrick Lamar to me should win album of the year because to pimp a butterfly was just a masterpiece. Jocle FHD was great to but i think Kendrick album was a little better than cole. Their not the only two that's doing well when it comes to rap but they are the two best atm.

I'd probably go as far to say that To Pimp A Butterfly was one of the greatest rap/hip-hop albums to date. Up there with stuff like Illmatic.

And it should win album of the year; but ever since good kid m.A.A.d city lost to Macklemores album for rap album of the year a few years back, I'm pretty skeptical on what the results might be.

I'm more of a Kendrick Lamar fan than a J. Cole fan, but I do love both. My favorite songs from these two are respectively "King Kunta" (which I also listen on Need for Speed 2015) and "Wet Dreamz". When it comes to K.Dot though, I've been introduced to him through Saints Row IV ("Swimming Pools (Drank)") on my PS3 and Grand Theft Auto V ("A.D.H.D.") on my Xbox 360. Then I've heard more of good kid, m.A.A.d. city, and that's where I got truly hooked on him. Heck, I even have "Swimming Pools (Drank)" (whose lyrics I have actually learned by heart!), "B***h, Don't Kill My Vibe" and "Alright" on my playlist for The Crew. The only modern hip hop acts which even remotely come close to being as good as K.Dot are Run The Jewels and Eminem, although I really do enjoy hip hop in general, whether it be Tupac, Biggie, Yeezy, Jay-Z... Still, Kendrick Lamar is, in my opinion, the new Tupac, or at least the only modern rapper to come close to being as awesome as him.

I like J. Cole and K., but my favorite out of the two is J. Cole. His album 2014 Forest Hills Drive is legit. My favorite tracks on that album are "Wet Dreamz", and "GOMD"

Back