any pink floyd fansMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter theinfluence1
  • 17 comments
  • 798 views
Messages
1
Any Pink Floyd Fans? Just letting all pink floyd fans know that there is a live at pompeii dvd out. I just bought my copy yesterday and i highly recommend it. I'm trying to convince my friend to buy it but I can't describe it to her. All i could say is that she definetely won't be dissapointed. Has anyone bought their copy or heard things about this dvd? Did you like it ? Please keep me posted on the good and bad side of this dvd.
 
I have it on VHS...what ever that is..., but yeah...any special features?
 
Funny you should post this - I caught a documentary on Syd Barrett during the week. It went into the formation of the band, how they made it big, and went into some depth on Syd's mental decline (kids - don't do drugs) and how the band worked around Syd, with Dave Gilmour coming aboard.

I think Roger Waters is a bit of a jerk, but it was quite touching seeing him speak of Syd. Their friendship pretty well formed the band initially, and you could see he was quite upset about 'losing' Syd.

Nick Mason seemed quite bitter about it - considering it was over 30 years prior, he spoke quite harshly about the damage it did to the band.
 
I think that the real genius behind Pink Floyd was Barret. its a real pity that the dude was so deep on drugs, because it indeed damaged the band, altough one can maybe say that the best years for the Floyd came with Waters behind it, I still think that syd barret could have done something even greater than what waters achieved. but heck, being at a performance and just keep staring at the reflectors because he was so high isnt precisely sane...

Cano

anyway, pink floys effin rules. interstellar overdrive all the way.
 
I admire people who can listen to Pink Floyd. I am not a fan myself, sorry, but I think the songs are way to long and slow for me. But, for those who like it, rock on.
 
I thought this was going to be another thread about Wall-era and post-Wall Pink Floyd, which I really hate. I'm glad to see people remembering the old Floyd.

I've seen the "Live at Pompeii" on video, and yes, it was great performances of the old stuff. While I can't dismiss the twin classics DSOTM and Wish You Were Here, I think my favorite Floyd album was Meddle.
 
Originally posted by toyomatt84
I admire people who can listen to Pink Floyd. I am not a fan myself, sorry, but I think the songs are way to long and slow for me. But, for those who like it, rock on.

I used to feel the same way. I knew it was great but had no patience for it. It's definitely not short-attention-span music. Then one day some years ago I heard a Pink Floyd song on the radio and was totally entranced by it. A permanent change had occured while I wasn't looking. They've been at the top of my list ever since.

Like a lot of truly great music, it is an acquired taste for many, but all the more gratifying for it.

I haven't seen the Pompeii video but would love to.
 
Pink Floyd and T00L are the only two bands I would need to hear if I were alone on a deserted island.

Shine on.....
 
Originally posted by Red Eye Racer
Pink Floyd and T00L are the only two bands I would need to hear if I were alone on a deserted island.

Shine on.....
I am in full agreement with this wise young man. I love Pink Floyd, but I haven't seen this dvd yet, I think I might pick it up tomarrow. Does anyone have a list of the songs they play on the dvd? ;)
 
fave album being meddle? mmhh... maybe, it is extremely good, but sorry, I'll stick to the tipycal Dark side of the moon, because, oh god... just... you know... OH MY ****ING GOD.

too good.

Cano
 
In response to an early question: yes, there is "special" material on the disc.

To quote Amazon:

-Director's cut of the film (anamorphic widescreen)
-Original concert film (full screen)
-Interview with director Adrien Maben
-Pompeii map and history
-Lyrics
-Photo gallery
-Album graphics
-Odds 'n' Sods

The "Director's Cut" has new stuff added, in the form of new effects and suchlike inserted directly into the original concert edit. What this new stuff consists of exactly, I'm unsure, as I have yet to receive my own copy, but, to further quote Amazon:

"Maben's cut goes to great lengths to lend the film a more contemporary feel... The anamorphic, 16:9 director's cut interweaves the Pompeii performances with fascinating but distracting interviews and music snippets filmed later (mostly during the recording of Dark Side of the Moon)."

...and...

"there are some space/planet features that are kinda confusing, as well as the CGI art of how Pompeii would have looked"

...and so on...


I'm ecstacic this was finally released. While I think Waters is a genius, he's more lyrically and socio-politically so. Barrett was a longtime favorite, but I've drifted away from the whimsical over the years. In the end, the Mason/Wright freak-out period, as best exemplified by Pompeii, has stood out as their best material in my mind.
 
The first time I heard floyd, I wasn't really crazy about them. But, when I heard a whole cd by them that my dad owns, I thought they were pretty cool. Right now, I mainly listen to punk, but Pink Floyd is still my favorite band of all time.
 
I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan. Dark Side of the Moon is one of my favorite albums of all time.

I must run out and pick up the DVD its sounds like something I need to add to my colection of DVD.
 
Pink Floyd is easily one of my favourite bands, as although I have been familiar with some of their music for years, I just listened to Dark Side of the Moon for the first time a few months ago, and I was mezmorized by it. So far I have only had the privilege of listening to that brilliant album, and The Wall, but I personally didn't like The Wall too much since it was too depressing for my tastes. But I plan on getting more Pink Floyd albums when I have the cash (I could download, but there's something about actually holding the CD in my hands that downloads can't replicate).

By the way, anyone seen "The Dark Side Of Oz" (Dark Side of the Moon played in sync with The Wizard of Oz)
 
Dark Side's a great album. Wish You Were Here's probably a good one to pick up next.

The Wall is probably about where you start to see the split between Roger Waters and the rest of the band start to develop. If you thought The Wall was depressing, wait until you listen to 'The Final Cut'.
 
Hey you..................
headphones.gif
It's all good.
 
I have never listened the dark side of OZ, but I have an awesome tribute album named "dub side of the moon" wich is the complete DSOTM album, covered in reggae. by easy star all stars. and its one of the most awesome tributes I have ever heard. if you stumble upon this one, wait nothing and get it, its IMPRESSIVE.

Cano
 
Back