Any PWT update?

• Thread starter Mahi_F1
  • 12 comments
Mahi_F1
As a lot of people have experienced, the PWT is not working with GT5, this is a major disappointment for me as I like to see myself as a valued fanatec customer but for some reason we have been left behind for not wanting to buy a 47 euro dongle.
It's trully outrageous as I got this wheel specifically for console sims like GT, how can you leave us behind guys? Really, why? Every Fanatec wheel is working apart from this one, as this is probably the biggest console racing game, I believe that EVERY fanatec wheel should have been supported.
As you can see I'm am extremely disappointed with this, and so are others.

Just tell me, is there ANY way I can get this wheel to work without having to spend a ridiculous amount of money on an RF dongle? or is there any possibility that there will be a GT5 update to support the PWT?

I don't know how long you have had your Turbo, but you being a loyal Fanatec customer doesn't mean they have to continue to upgrade your wheels hardware at their expense.

The firmware on your wheel is not upgradable, so the only way you are going to be using it with GT5 is buying the new dongle.

But there should be a way to upgrade the dongle! Its all about the money. And they said that the wheel is fully compatible with the ps3 which is not the case so its on them to change it!

But there should be a way to upgrade the dongle! Its all about the money. And they said that the wheel is fully compatible with the ps3 which is not the case so its on them to change it!

When did they ever say that it had full compatibility?

It has been fully compatible with PC, and limited compatibility with PS3 as long as I have seen.

Fanatec isn't the kind of company that screws over their customers by making them buy a new piece of hardware when it could be fixed with software. If the new dongle wasn't needed, you wouldn't have to buy it.

Key benefits

* The original reproduction of a 911 leather steering wheel gives you the genuine Porsche feeling
* Wireless USB technology which provides latency free signal transmission to the PC/Console and is very robust against interference (Power supply to wheel still needed)
* 3 Force Feedback motors and smooth belt drive deliver sensational realism
* Authentic wireless pedals with clutch and soft-stop brake
* Two gear sticks included: 6+1 Speed H-pattern and sequential
* Compatible with PC and Playstation®3 (6+1 gear stick is only supported on PC and Playstation®3)

source
next time, do a research!

I don't know how long you have had your Turbo, but you being a loyal Fanatec customer doesn't mean they have to continue to upgrade your wheels hardware at their expense.

The firmware on your wheel is not upgradable, so the only way you are going to be using it with GT5 is buying the new dongle.

So it's justifiable to charge £40 for a very small accessory?

Key benefits

* The original reproduction of a 911 leather steering wheel gives you the genuine Porsche feeling
* Wireless USB technology which provides latency free signal transmission to the PC/Console and is very robust against interference (Power supply to wheel still needed)
* Compatible with PC and Playstation®3 (6+1 gear stick is only supported on PC and Playstation®3)

source
next time, do a research!

Plus, in their product comparison they wrote that the target customer for the PWT is 'Advanced PS3 Users' yet it's not even fully compatible with the PS3. I'm very happy with the quality of the fanatec wheels, they're worth the money but it's kind of a p***take when they want us to pay an extra £40 for something so easy to overcome if they tried.
http://www.fanatec.de/html/pw_overview.htm

I did do research, but for some reason saw limited compatibility and PS2, and my eyes saw PS3.

That being said...

Back when the wheel was in production it was fully compatible. They obviously couldn't see the future, and whatever changes were made couldn't be overcome with a simple software only update.

I don't think that they should be obligated to upgrade hardware forever at their expense, but since it was actually advertised as a fully compatible PS3 wheel though...

I would think that there should be some kind of trade in program for PWT owners, so that they could at least trade in their old dongle for a discount toward a new one.

I'll be interested to know what is the response. Good job Mahi, keep us posted.

Sent them an email just now:

As a lot of people have experienced, the PWT is not working with GT5, this is a major disappointment for me as I like to see myself as a valued fanatec customer but for some reason we have been left behind for not wanting to buy a 47 euro dongle.
It's trully outrageous as I got this wheel specifically for console sims like GT, how can you leave us behind Thomas? Really, why? Every Fanatec wheel is working apart from this one, as this is probably the biggest console racing game, I believe that EVERY fanatec wheel should have been supported.
As you can see I'm am extremely disappointed with this, and so are others.

I have done some research and I think I, legally, have a case here.
Look at this: http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=213&lang=
"Playstation®3
The Porsche 911 Turbo Wheel is compatible with all games which support Force Feedback steering wheels."
---------------------------------
Key benefits

http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=210&lang=
---------------------------------
Product Comparison http://www.fanatec.de/html/pw_overview.htm
In their product comparison they wrote that the target customer for the PWT is 'Advanced PS3 Users' yet it's not even fully compatible with the PS3

Gran Turismo 5 is the biggest PS3 racer yet and the fact that you wrongfully claim that your wheel will be supported in all games that support ffb suggests a lawsuit could be valid. I know it can work with the RF dongle but you sold it with the RD dongle!

Let's face it 30 euros plus 17 euros shipping is ridiculous so I'm here to request some action from the Fanatec team.
Either get the RD dongle to work on GT5 or at least let us get some sort of discount if we exchange the RD dongle in for the RF dongle. 47 euros (£40) is a lot of money to some people and I have a valid case so if you refuse to respond I, and others, will take legal action.

Thanks, Mahyar

I think I legally have a case. Going to email customer service then I'll take action depending on their response.

I'm no lawyer but I can tell you.....you don't have a case. The reasoning is simple. Claiming full compatability will only have legal ground for the time the wheel was available for purchase and since that wheel was discontinued well before GT5 hit the shelves you're outta luck legally. I understand your frustration but it's not reasonable to expect Fanatec to be on the hook for a product after it's been discontinued and some new game comes out afterwards that doesn't work with it......Fanatec has no control over what Sony and it's developers do to the PS3 via firmware or how game code is written.

Let's face it 30 euros plus 17 euros shipping is ridiculous so I'm here to request some action from the Fanatec team.
Either get the RD dongle to work on GT5 or at least let us get some sort of discount if we exchange the RD dongle in for the RF dongle. 47 euros (£40) is a lot of money to some people and I have a valid case so if you refuse to respond I, and others, will take legal action.

Thanks, Mahyar[/I]

As per Thomas' blog:

1. 911 Turbo Wheel (Not "S")

In order to make this wheel work you need to use the new RF dongle for the 911 Turbo S wheel which is available in our weshop for 29,95 USD / Euro. (USA / EU)

All customers get the dongle for free within the extended warranty period of 2 years.

If your wheel is older than 2 years we will offer you a free coupon code of 20 USD / EURO after the purchase of the dongle.

How to get your dongle or discount coupon?

Please place a regular order and leave a note in the comments field with the fanatec invoice number and date of your original PWT purchase and we will send you an email with your coupon code or change the order amount.

Please note that this offer is only valid to Fanatec webshop customers. If you purchased your product at a dealer you need to contact them for help.

So much for your "it's all about money" with the required dongle upgrade. Pretty decent response on Fanatec's part if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back