Any TCL owners here?

I was looking at the 50" TCL C635 and absolutely love it. Thinking of using it with a Series X.

Some questions:

* Is there any point or advantage to using Game Master? I don't care about low latency, VRR or any of that stuff, since I do mostly single player and mostly all the games are 60fps anyway.

* Should YCC 422 be on? Why would I want to keep it on anyway? To reduce colour banding? To have clearer whites? Not sure why it's there for someone using a 4K display capable of HDR10 and HDMI 2.1.

* I've kept ALLM on in the Xbox settings but not VRR as I want to use the TV's motion interpolation features to speed up fps in games like flight simulator (it runs at 30fps on the Series consoles). Any disadvantage to doing this? I don't care about lag. Sure, it's there but almost negligible.

* If games are already locked at 60 or 30fps and have no performance drops or tearing as they are all optimised for SX or run just fine, why would I even want to use VRR? It doesn't seem to get rid of the stutters in flight simulator for example, whether I run it in game mode or use frame acceleration/interpolation to boost it to 60fps.

* What is the best picture mode for gaming, in your opinion? I tend to use Game, which is what I used for tweaking my display via the xbox calibration app and then the HDR app. Great results but I do feel Vivid, Sports, and PC also offer their own unique advantages.

* Do I need to set the bit depth to 12-bit? I kind of obsess over colour banding/gradation as I got this TV especially to break free from color banding issues for good! I understand that even if you set the bit depth to 8bit, HDR games will automatically switch to 10 bit. So, any advantage to using 12-bit?

* I understand that DV uses 12-bit but no game natively supports that as yet. I don't use the TV for movies, just games - and I do not use DV as I didn't like it, Things looked blown out and oversaturated. I could see lots of gradation/colour banding. Just didn't like it. Maybe I need to revisit the HDR calibration app but that would throw off my settings for HDR10 which I've tweaked to perfection almost.

* Any advantage to using RGB Full color space? I noticed that it did not crush the blacks or overexpose the whites on this TV although in the xbox calib app where you see the white markers on both side of the spectrum, I could not see the blacks or white beyond that - perhaps, because I didn't bother re-calibrating my display after setting it to RGB full.

* This TV does only 1080p at 120hz.... well, I'm kinda disappointed but on the upside playing 30fps 4k games with 'frame acceleration' is great - it's all smooth and seamless as if they are running at 60fps... dream come true!

* Which one of the ports is 2.1 on this TV? It doesn't say on the back. I first tried port 3 (eARC), then tried port 1, and even tried port 2 I think. Didn't seem to make any difference at all. I'm assuming all three are?

* If I set the Xbox to anything other then uncompressed stereo, I get lag from the TV's speakers or the headset I connect using the headphone jack. So, I can't use Dolby Atmos for HT with the TV speakers, DTS or DD. Also, if I pair up BT earbuds with the TV, the lag is horrible. It's a second or longer I think.

* Any advantage to enabling CEC on both the console and TV? I read somewhere that it allows the TV and console to communicate properly and use features more effectively - but I don't need that auto power on/ shut off stuff... Ever.

* All in all, excellent TV for the money I think - if you fine people have some tips to help me get the most out of it for gaming, please feel free to share :)

Last edited:
Not sure if you guys can tell but there's apparently minute amounts of light leaking out the back of the top border. Maybe my hand or wrist grazed against it while I was cleaning the back vents. Not sure.

Any cause for concern?

Attachments

• IMG_20230216_163417_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230216_163417_HDR.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 21
Not sure if you guys can tell but there's apparently minute amounts of light leaking out the back of the top border. Maybe my hand or wrist grazed against it while I was cleaning the back vents. Not sure.

Any cause for concern?
It's letting all your pixels out! You'll be down to 720p by the end of the week.

It's letting all your pixels out! You'll be down to 720p by the end of the week.
Seriously though, can this cause any kind of long term damage. Because the LED lights are kinda exposed at the top rear border even though it's minute.

I'd get some electritians tape on that gap. No one want 480 gaming. It's a Series X, not a Mega Drive.
Okay, I didn't get the second part.. long day at work but I'll consider the first one. What if I leave it as is? It's not too distracting or anything in a dark room but I'm concerned about dust, dirt, moisture.. that kinda thing.

Okay, I didn't get the second part.. long day at work but I'll consider the first one. What if I leave it as is? It's not too distracting or anything in a dark room but I'm concerned about dust, dirt, moisture.. that kinda thing.
Its a bit hard to see exactly where the light is coming from from the photo, but if its just a gap in the casing where, i guess, two parts of the casing connect and maybe a clip has broken inside? My Samsung has a metal bezel that wraps around the edge of the screen from front to back, like a band, if your TCL C635 is similar - and i can't find any clear images of the edges online to check, then maybe you've caught the metal 'band' and it's been bent out of shape slightly and it could be teased back closing the gap?

It's not ideal but black electricians tape over the gap will stop anything getting in and to an extent, stop light (and those all important pixels ;) ) getting out. Perhaps superglue could solve it but could also quite easily damage it more, so should be avoided.

@TheCracker it's along the top right border if viewed from the back or the side in case of this photo. I tried to attach a video but it says format not supported.

Video demonstrates it perfectly but can't upload that. Thanks for the assistance, maybe I'll try electrician's tape.

Is this a normal thing for TCL TVs? I find it hard to believe that the border's edge got slightly bent out shape simply due to my hand grazing against it while cleaning the back vents. It was probably there since day one and I might have noticed it just now.

If you zoom in on the photo you can see small dots of the backlight around the corner of the top border.

Also, I'd rather not 'tease' anything back into shape. The gap is very minor and trying to apply pressure on the top border may cause damage. Pretty sure there are fragile or sensitive components along the top border so best not to fiddle with anything.

I'm somewhat worried if any damage might occur as a result of that area being exposed at the back.

Is this a normal thing for TCL TVs? I find it hard to believe that the border's edge got slightly bent out shape simply due to my hand grazing against it while cleaning the back vents. It was probably there since day one and I might have noticed it just now.
Haven't noticed it on either of the TCL's I've owned, nor on the one my friend has as well.

If you're that worried about it, which it seems you are, have you tried contacting the vendor you bought it from? I'd just try to get a replacement outright at that point.

Haven't noticed it on either of the TCL's I've owned, nor on the one my friend has as well.

If you're that worried about it, which it seems you are, have you tried contacting the vendor you bought it from? I'd just try to get a replacement outright at that point.
Well, I don't think it warrants a replacement as it's just a minor cosmetic imperfection.

I can give TCL a call and they'll send a technician to have a look and perhaps fiddle with things. Doubt if they will give a replacement which I really don't need as the TV works fine although noticed inverse ghosting around fast moving objects against a bright background which I didn't seem to notice as much on my CCFL backlit LCD Bravia from 14 years back. But that was close to a premium back then.

Anyhow, thanks for your input.

I think I'll leave it as is for now and just enjoy the TV.

Last edited:
Quick question guys and then we can close off the thread I suppose:

Does this impact backight performance and brightness in the long run? Say, affect the blacks in a dark room or impact the peak brightness capabilities at any given time?

I'm a noob to this as it's my first TV upgrade in 14 years I think 🙂

There's audio lag over TV speakers even on stereo uncompressed. Anybody else get delayed audio over TV speakers? It's rather minor but enough to notice during collision sounds or cycling views in Forza e.g. the sound catches up in the next view, if that makes sense.

Latest Posts

Back