Any way to play in 1080i on my Flat Panel Comp Monitor?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ChristmasGTO
  • 50 comments
  • 4,935 views
Hey there, I was wondering if there was something I could buy to play GT4 in 1080i on my Xerox 19Inch Flat Panel, i REALLY want to get the most out of this game that I can, if anyone can help that'd be fantastic!

No, you can not. There are two problems:

Panel resolution: I doubt your panel can display 1920x1440 (if it is a 4:3 panel, you need this resolution). 19 inch is too small. The width of a 19 inch panel is about 15 inch. 15 inch for 1920 lines. What is the dot mask of your panel?

Deinterlacing: Your LC display probably only accepts progressive scanning. So you have to convert the 1080i signal into a 1080p signal. The only devices capable of high definition deinterlacing are video processors that you probably can not afford. There are only three processors with "real" 1080i deinterlacing: The Faroudja DVP-5000, the HD Leeza and the MIT 500. All other video processors, as well as all beamers which have internal deinterlacers, use techniques like Bob and Weave and no real 1080i deinterlacing.
 
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/articl...VDZ3-Review/p1/

that is a Review of the product, it looks like newer versions do in fact support 480i:

"Pros

Performance
Price
VGA ByPass feature
No need of a Microsoft HD Video Pack for 5.1 speaker system
Excellent documentation and technical support
480i mode

Cons

We can’t think of any! "

I cant wait to see how it all turns out, It seriously looks like the ultimate VGA solution for any system, Im VERY excited to see how Resident Evil 4 will look on it



EDIT:
heres a good site to let you know what games are HDTV Compatible or not:
http://www.hdtvarcade.com


thanks very much Rou, So I should be able to do 480p fine you think?
 
A native 480p signal looks better than a 480i signal deinterlaced to a 480p signal. In the end they are both 480p, but still not the same. I prefer progressive scanning over interlaced scanning no matter what the resolution is.

If you have a LCD check out the manual for the panel sweet spot. That is the recommended resolution. You should use this resolution. It is for sure higher than 640x480.

Many smaller devices besides video processors can process standard definition video content and convert a 480i or a 480p signal to a higher resolution ("upscaling") that matches the sweet spot of your panel. That´s the best you can do I think.

But there might be another problem. The color space. YUV is a different color space than VGA. VGA is a special RGB color space called RGB HV. They are not the same. If your LCD processes YUV - it´s alright. In case it processes RGB only, you have do a color space conversion from YUV to VGA (RGB HV) with another device.

You might end up with three devices:
1. a Deinterlacer (not necessary if the scaling device processes progressive video content)
2. a Scaler (a resolution upconverter)
3. a Transcoder (a color space converter)

All three can be found in products like the DVDO iScan HD [http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_ishd.html] or the Lumagen Vision HDP [http://www.lumagen.com/new_products.htm].

In online stores you can often buy cheaper devices (40 - 200 $), but IMO they are no good at all.
 
well i have a Spare 17Inch VGA Viewsonic thats fairly new think that would fair alot better?
 
Kicking this topic up abit.

Any news on this http://hardware.teamxbox.com/articles/xbox/934/VDigi-Electronics-Enhanced-VDZ3-Review/p1 ?

Next to that, bosx2 said: "Why dont you guys save you all the $$ and hust buy a ps2 vga cable? selfmade it costs 8$ and if you buy a new one maybe 10$ ..."

I haven't been able to find something like that, could anyone of you guys help me out? It doesn't need to display in HDTV, just 480i on a VGA monitor.

There must be some way to use a PC Monitor instead of a TV...
 
If I remember right someone said how to create a make shift VGA cable on here, I cant remember the name though, do a Search for it and you should find it :)
 
sorry to bump this, but between this thread and the link provided, I am under the impression that the VDIGI box is the way to go, that it supports 480i, 480p, and 1080i as an imput, and is able to convert it optimumly to VGA signal.

am I wrong? It DOES 480i?

I can use this box with normal PS2 games without trouble, and can take advantage of GT4's 1080i with it also?

also - is the resolution of 1080i really 1920 x 1440?!
 
I have a 17inch LCD monitor and I want to play GT4 on it when it comes out in the US. If it makes a difference I have a Radeon 9600XT which has s-video but it isn't an ATI Wonder card. Basically, what would I need to play it on my LCD? Max res is 1024x768. If I get whatever you suggest, would it look just like on a tv or would it be blurry and poor graphics?
 
Depending on the Situation AreXus most LCD's have a maximum resolution of 1280x1020 which is FAR too short for 1080i which has a resolution of 1980x1080Interlaced, Something along those lines.

Yes the Vdigi DOES SUPPORT 480i. but dont be mislead! you must make sure in some way that your monitor is also able to support 480i or you'll get a garbled image.

LCD's are IMO VERY blury when it comes to gamming with the low refresh rate creating "blur" A CRT would probably be the most optimal route if you dont have an HDTV.

You can however do 720p with an LCD since its resolution is 1280x720(I think thats the resoultion)

But again the low refresh rate really hurts your eyes, and on a fast paced game such as GT4 it could be pretty bad. but I wont know for sure until I have the game.
 
ChristmasGTO
Depending on the Situation AreXus most LCD's have a maximum resolution of 1280x1020 which is FAR too short for 1080i which has a resolution of 1980x1080Interlaced, Something along those lines.

Yes the Vdigi DOES SUPPORT 480i. but dont be mislead! you must make sure in some way that your monitor is also able to support 480i or you'll get a garbled image.

LCD's are IMO VERY blury when it comes to gamming with the low refresh rate creating "blur" A CRT would probably be the most optimal route if you dont have an HDTV.

You can however do 720p with an LCD since its resolution is 1280x720(I think thats the resoultion)

But again the low refresh rate really hurts your eyes, and on a fast paced game such as GT4 it could be pretty bad. but I wont know for sure until I have the game.

1080i will not work since the screen res is to small agreed. However saying a LCD is not suitable for gamming is almost a myth. :grumpy: I currently own a Sceptre Komodo X7 17 inch LCD (1280by1024 75hz refresh rate). I play sim and racing games like GTR with little blurness and ghosting. The only way to notice extreme ghosting is holding the mouse down and scrolling around the screen really fast. With GT3 it is easy to see the interlaced lines when watching or recording without deinterlacing.
 
I actually meant 15 inch. I put 17 by accident. Anyway, thanks for the info. Looks like I won't be playing GT4 on my LCD.
 
Well I looked at your monitor specs vs my specs on my Xerox, and we have almost the exact same specifications. except that in 1280x1024 i only have a 60hz refresh rate

So I decided to try putting it in 1024x768 at a 75 refresh rate and I still get "bothersome" ghosting. I doubt its in the monitor quality just that Im used to a very very crisp CRT image. so im still sticking with my story on that LCD's arent really meant for gamming just yet.
 
having a slow response time for the lcd isn't good at all for gaming. i'm just guessing that's your problem. i have a dell UltraSharp 2001FP, it's a 20in lcd and i have never had any problems with it while gaming besides minor driver issues.
 
Ive got a 15inch LCD TV and ive played my PS2 and Xbox on it since ive had it. It looks nothing less than stunning.
 
Anybody use the N6 w/a PS2 and GT4 yet?? I see that it can take 480i, 480p,720p and 1080i then convert them to a max res of 1280x1024@60hz. This would be cool so you can still see the menus in 480i then convert to either to 480p or 1080i ingame to view gt4 in all its glory on a computer monitor. I have a 20in widescreen LCD by dell that would rock if I could get a good converter.

Any reviews anybody??

jay

*edit heres the link.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tventertainment/tvvideoprocessors/nextvisionn5/
 
One thing that never got cleared up is 480i. You need this to see the menus if you are playing in 1080i mode.

VDigi's website says no 480i.

Whereas the product at lik-sang.net claims to support 480i. And we have an endorsement from one of our users here.

Why then would a GT4 player choose VDigi over the box on the Lik-Sang website? Catchy name?
 
FUNKED1
One thing that never got cleared up is 480i. You need this to see the menus if you are playing in 1080i mode.

VDigi's website says no 480i.

Whereas the product at lik-sang.net claims to support 480i. And we have an endorsement from one of our users here.

Why then would a GT4 player choose VDigi over the box on the Lik-Sang website? Catchy name?
They will both do 480i, so you can choose the vdigi as well. It really doesn't matter which one you choose as they are pretty much the same thing. You must find a monitor that will do 480i though, which is the actual problem here.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
So it seems Viewsonic N6 is the only way to go.
 
Back