Anybody else have the misfortune of watching the AMA?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sage
  • 12 comments
  • 662 views

Sage

Staff Emeritus
Messages
12,533
United States
United States
Messages
GTP_Sage
(AMA = American Music Awards, which was shown last night.)

Lordy, now I remember why I'm thankful I don't get MTV, VH1, and why I don't listen to the radio anymore… I don't know if I've ever heard that much crap thrown together before. (I'm quite the rhymer. And whiner. Ha ha.)

And really, we could've done without the washed up Anna Nicole – I couldn't believe how horrible she sounded. Hey Smith, you suck at living! And Dianna (Diana?) Ross looked like she took a large pantyhose and pulled it up to her chest.

I enjoyed Rod Stewart's What a Wonderful World, although it's a bit silly the amount of attention he's gotten for his recent remakes. I also kind of enjoyed that piano dude's performance, though for the life of me I can't remember his name.

'scuse me while I go listen to some decent music (I'm in a Radiohead mood tonight) on my iPod… Long live choice.

P.S.: I know bashing popular music is getting old, but I really had to rant about that show – I'd rather shove a pencil into my eardrums than listen to some of that music. Oh, and, my dad turned it on (Gawd knows why), and it was in the only room I can do my homework in, so I had no choice.
 
I simply gave up on modern music a long time ago, so I don't have to put up with crappy music. I avoid things like the AMA as if they were the plague.

Long live classic rock!
 
yep. that's all i can listen to on the radio is those classic rock stations.
 
I didn't see it, but I saw Anna Nicole's clip on a couple shows on ESPN. Funny stuff.

Aren't Radiohead popular music?

You only like seven different bands, so your opinion means nothing!
 
Klostrophobic
I didn't see it, but I saw Anna Nicole's clip on a couple shows on ESPN. Funny stuff.
Funnier than any of the jokes those hosts try to pass on. Did you hear her voice when she made the loud announcement to welcome (someone) unto the stage? Sounded like a whale call.

Aren't Radiohead popular music?
Subject-verb agreement! Anyway, by popular music, I meant the kind of stuff that lasts for a year and then gets forgotten forever… for instance, Usher is stupidly popular right now, but in 20 years no one will give a rat's as(hello!) about him.

You only like seven different bands, so your opinion means nothing!
No, I don't only like seven different bands – I just only have seven different bands' CDs, because I actually buy all of my music, and since I don't make enough money to buy CDs whenever I want, it's going to take me a long time (several years, at the very least) to build up a half-decent collection. And, for some reason, I feel obligated to buy most of one band's music before moving on… I've bought almost every TMBG album (except for Severe Tire Damage), and now I'm in the process of buying almost every Radiohead album (next on my list is Pablo Honey – I'm afraid to buy Kid A though, because I've heard it's as bad as Amnesiac, which sucked beyond suckiness). White Stripes will probably be next, since they only have like 3 albums. I have issues with Led Zeppelin though, because their CDs sell for the standard $12-15, but only have 5-ish songs on each…
 
This is why I'm working on my own radio station in my state. If anyone knows about the radio stations in Wisconsin, they're worse than pathetic. All they are, is a bunch of chatshows covered up by crappy music. I have the unfortunate displeasure of suffering to the most unbelievably bad radio station ever, 103.7 Kiss FM. It's so bad, that after 1 hour and 15 min, they repeat what songs they had playing over again. (The only reason I know that, is from the guy who works on the printing press next to me, blares the crap.) If I here that lame-ass song "And she will be loved..." again, I'll completely destroy the radio booth. It's pathetic crap, that no one can stand, unless they have a ladel shoved up their behind. Oh, and to top it off, the personnel responsible chat about the lamest crap in the universe. Who in the bloody hell wants to know how they got to work that morning? Come on... honestly people, what crap is that?

Oh, and don't think that it's just the pop station that goes for pure garbage control. The "100 minute pure rock block" on Lazer 103 (which is 102.9 for some reason), lasts 20 minutes before 10 minutes of commercials and 15 minutes of blasted crapchat is thrown in. It's like an elephant humping a squirrel, it ain't working.

Don't even get me started on the so-called "rap station" which plays more soul and R&B than any human should have to bare. (FYI. R&B is that waste of space genre, much like country, that anyone could be good at. All you gotta do is hum slowly, and mumble some words like smooth, silky, soft, and baby. And, voila!, R&B hit.)

Since I avoid Country music in it's entirety, I won't go into the topic for sake of discussion, it's pointless music for a pointless generation.

Now, if radio didn't get me riled enough, I'm starting to ponder the reason as to why we have commercials on TV. Which I'll leave it alone, because it's un-related. But, I will leave you with something... If you pay for cable by the month, why are there commercials. I didn't see "Commercials will apply" on the contract...
 
toyomatt84
Now, if radio didn't get me riled enough, I'm starting to ponder the reason as to why we have commercials on TV. Which I'll leave it alone, because it's un-related. But, I will leave you with something... If you pay for cable by the month, why are there commercials. I didn't see "Commercials will apply" on the contract...
I only get network television (or "basic" television, whatever it's called), so I'm plenty fine with the commercials paying for all of it. :p
 
diana ross is completely illiterate.

EVERY sentence she said was either non-existant, or COMPLETELY contradictory.

she needs to go back to grammar school.

"This is my first time here....at the American Music Award (thats right...no s).....and i'd like to thanks you for welcoming me back here."

wtfwtfwtf-DUBYA TEE EFF?!!?-wtfwtfwtf
 
I saw a small bit and what I saw was basically a conglomeration of crap; after five minutes I had had quite enough.
 
I definately don't like Popular Music, including Rap, Punk, RnB, Emo, etc etc etc. Although I'm starting to soften up a little lately. I've been listening to alot of less heavier Metal, more Classic Rock and a little more of some good Music that I grew up listening to, like Soundgarden. Also, I'm strangely into Rage Against the Machine. Shoot me.

As for MTV now-a-days? Well, I wasn't old enough to watch the old MTV, but I have seen alot and I do know it was alot better years ago. Now it's Rap TV. Which = Crap TV.

That's my opinion, but Music is going down down down downhill. I grew up travelling with my Dad's Rock band. They used to play some GREAT covers. All I did as a child was listen to music. I was raised on AC/DC, Kiss and Guns 'n' Roses. Now kids are raised on freakin' Ja Rule, Snoop Dogg, and whoever else pops up. It's horrible. Good music is dying! :(
 
Sage
Subject-verb agreement!
Are you saying I'm right or wrong? I assume the latter, because the former would just be absurd.

Anyway, Radiohead are a group. Groups are plural.

DUH!!

Jimmy, Kiss were an awful, awful, awful band. Guns'N'Roses weren't anything special (maybe Slash was) either. AC/DC were, OK.
 
And what Music do you listen to Klos?
 
Back