Anybody here know anything about scooters?

GilesGuthrie

Staff Emeritus
United Kingdom
Edinburgh, UK
CMDRTheDarkLord
I'm looking to buy a 125cc scooter for getting to work, since I can do it in half the time the bus takes. I'm looking at a couple of Hondas, but I'm finding it hard to get decent info on the web, and I can't face trawling round endless bike shops.

I've got about £3k to spend, including good trousers, gloves and a lid.

I need to be able to carry my laptop backpack or my camera backpack (but not both at the same time) in it. The commute is five inner-city miles each way, and I'm set on it being an auto 125cc.

Is it intended to be just for you or are you planning on having a passenger on occasion?

Yeah: I know they make you look like a nancy boy.

Kidding. I live in the 'burbs, though, so they're pretty impractical and I really don't know anything about them.

I wanted a scooter once. Then I was reminded that I'm 300 pounds and that south floridians are insane.

Scooters RULE! So fun just whining around, especially since the 125cc's are pretty fast.

Only drawback is that some people might feel the need to beat you.

I'll check it out, as budget isn't that firm.

TB
Is it intended to be just for you or are you planning on having a passenger on occasion?

I feel pretty much safe in saying that the wife will never go on it, and whilst the children may want to, they won't be getting to.

Yeah: I know they make you look like a nancy boy.

Kidding. I live in the 'burbs, though, so they're pretty impractical and I really don't know anything about them.

Depends how far the 'burbs are away from where you're going. The 125s will do around 70mph, and should have a range > 100 miles. You do feel like an idiot though, although probably not when sidling down past a line of stationery traffic.

I wanted a scooter once. Then I was reminded that I'm 300 pounds and that south floridians are insane.

I've been thinking about it for a while, and only the weather's been putting me off. But I think that clothing is now sufficiently good, and public transport sufficiently bad that the balance has tipped in favour of the bike.

Scooters RULE! So fun just whining around, especially since the 125cc's are pretty fast.

Only drawback is that some people might feel the need to beat you.

Yeah, well. I'm big enough not to worry about that.

My brother-in-law has a couple cheap Korean knockoffs that use a Yamaha engine. He's pretty happy with them; I can ask the brand. I'm also asking on another forum.

5 inner city miles? Cycle it!

Save yoru wallet, and save your children's environment!

(Loose a few brain cells when you fall off after hitting a horrendous pothole, couple of pints of blood when that white van hits you, and your healthy blood pressure form cursing those gas guzzlers spewing exhaust n your direction... Okay, so there's a fair few downsides.)

I dont see how that last paragraph is any different if he buys a scooter lol.

Serioulsy though of course you already know this but be uber uber careful when riding those things and watch every single car.

man, you can get street legal 00cc dirt bikes for 1500, look for a used honda street bike or something
but
you can find a plethora of used scooters everywhere

You don't need a scooter!

5384891_n.jpg

Back