Anyone care to enlighten me about the Mazda Furai?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Boz Mon
  • 10 comments
  • 1,606 views
Messages
1,478
Everyone says how good of a car it is for the Daytona race in the Like the Wind series. I have supersoft racing tires on it, with the downforce all the way up and the stupid thing wont stay on the track. How in the world do you people use this car and beat this race with it? Anyone have a good setup for it that I may be able to use or something?
 
Try to be gentle on the throttle//brakes when changing directions, its one of the more sensitive cars I've driven, but its a rocket once you know how to handle it.
 
The Veyron or ZR-1 RM will do you better on the Daytona Road Course. Use the Furai for Indy. The Furai can do Indy flat out without ever letting off the gas which makes it much faster through the corners than the AI cars.
 
I used the Furai on both. As mentioned, you have to be gentle on the throttle. Very at that. I remember spinning out and restarting a few times but also having to push the car to what I thought was more than it was gonna handle.
 
You can go a few clicks with camber, ride height, spring rate (a little softer in the rear to keep it from spinning out) and also adjust the brake bias (I run about 7F 3R on that car) and lsd differential (don't remember the settings but set it to not come on so hard under both accel and braking).
 
I changed quite a bit of settings on it (don't remember what though) and I'm pretty sure I soften the spring rates a bit. But now I've been doing quite a bit of races with it and this thing is just ****ing fast!
 
Even thought the drivetrain of the Furai is blanked out, it behaves like an MR. Drive it as such, and it will reward your smoothness with potent precision.

The hardest portions of the course will be Turn-1 and Turns 10 and 11, due to hard braking going into a tight corner after a long straight. Brake in a straight line, brake between 50 ~ 75% with 25% throttle, or brake hard while blipping the throttle.

Turns 4, 6, and 7 may give you fits if you try to accelerate too hard out of them, especially Turn-7 and onto the back straight.

The Furai can be a nasty little car. Be smooth. Sometimes, going slower than you think you should, will be faster. If do right, no can defense.

20091016024941daytonain.png
 
People use skid recovery with it that's simple. Try it you'll see.
 
Yeah, definately the above posts are right, when I first drove the Furai it did have a tendancy to spin it's rear wheels and cause you problems, even on soft racing tyres.

But once you've got used to driving it, plus set the car up to your style, it becomes alot easier to drive, and subsequently, alot faster.

Don't give up on it, it's a great car.
 
Even thought the drivetrain of the Furai is blanked out, it behaves like an MR. Drive it as such, and it will reward your smoothness with potent precision.

The hardest portions of the course will be Turn-1 and Turns 10 and 11, due to hard braking going into a tight corner after a long straight. Brake in a straight line, brake between 50 ~ 75% with 25% throttle, or brake hard while blipping the throttle.

Turns 4, 6, and 7 may give you fits if you try to accelerate too hard out of them, especially Turn-7 and onto the back straight.

The Furai can be a nasty little car. Be smooth. Sometimes, going slower than you think you should, will be faster. If do right, no can defense.

20091016024941daytonain.png

👍
 
Thanks for the tips guys! I managed to setup the car in a way that I won the race by almost 2.5 seconds. My main time gain area was actually the "bus stop" because I cut the corners hardcore to gain most of my time. I do still think the car is a giant POS, but it won me the championship regardless.
 
Back