Anyone else for Custom Championships & Track Editor?

United States
United States
I have been holding my breath for these two features. I feel custom championships shouldn't be that hard to implement since we already have custom races, all we need is an interface that allows us to group our custom races into a sequence and possibly save it. The track editor I do understand would be a bit of work, although there was one in GT5 and 6. If tracks we create could then be used in custom races and championships that be even more amazing, imagine the possibilities. I'd honestly prefer this over any other new content, since I doubt the economy will change and new events keep getting drip fed. Anyone else want to see these features?

I personally wouldn’t use the custom championships, but wouldn’t mind if they added it in for those that would like it.
I would potentially use a track editor, depending on what it had to offer and how good it would look driving around on it. I don’t see track editor happening in GT7 though. Maybe decades from now some modder will include it?

Fair enough, I just find there is very little to do which is shame. If at least weather and a 24hr day / night cycle was added to more tracks it would add some longevity. Weather and nightime add additional strategy which makes each race so much more interesting than the same conditions lap after lap. I refuse to accept "it takes too long to add to each track" as a valid argument, even if it is true (which I doubt) who in their right mind would develop a feature that is "too hard" to implement in most of the game, that's just bad planning.

Fair enough, I just find there is very little to do which is shame. If at least weather and a 24hr day / night cycle was added to more tracks it would add some longevity. Weather and nightime add additional strategy which makes each race so much more interesting than the same conditions lap after lap. I refuse to accept "it takes too long to add to each track" as a valid argument, even if it is true (which I doubt) who in their right mind would develop a feature that is "too hard" to implement in most of the game, that's just bad planning.
It's definitely an intentional decision. Compare the different Nurburgring layouts, the time of day settings are incredibly inconsistent between them. Not a single track in the Americas having rain also must be some bizarre intentional decision. Neither decision makes sense though.

Polyphony have intentionally left options out where they have no reason to be left out. Nothing about the endurance layout at Spa makes it easier to add night, the only difference is the pit entrance. It's just that they don't want you to drive at night on the regular layout. They don't want you driving at night on the Nordschleife, unless you make it the 24 hour layout, but also the GP layout can't have night either. It's a choice, and a nonsensical one. "That's when the layouts are usually used in real life" isn't much of an excuse, this is a video game with custom races. Why lock away an option like that?

For tracks that lack weather entirely, I can't tell you if it's a choice necessarily, but I still would like to ask why Polyphony would be incapable of it then, if Forza Motorsport will have full time and weather on every track. It's definitely too strange to be a coincidence that Polyphony have neglected weather entirely in the Americas, do they think it just doesn't rain there?

Yes, I'd love custom championships. It would save me using lots of excel spreadsheets at the same time. Although, I'd also want better scoring or control over the points scoring for the events. Basic 20 points going down to 1 point almost isn't worth having.

Creating custom tracks would be amazing, but I can't see how it can be possible with the current levels of graphics and VR mode etc. Unless it's maybe doing something like the gymkhana course on a massive carpark.

I mean, the tools are there, so why not?

But if they don't want to give us "so much power", I'd take something like the Championship randomizer of GT2.

I agree it would be nice to have dynamic weather for all races in the game. Though I’d prefer if they would actually fix the radar once and for all and give some type of pre-race weather forecast like you would have in real life before rolling out across the board. I’m not saying it needs to tell us what lap(s) it will rain on, but in real life you have a good idea on if and when it will rain and how hard and long. Right now it’s completely unknown on some races whether it will even rain or not until about 30 seconds before it starts. And sometimes when it does the radar is very misleading.

Full disclosure I’m not an expert on this, but from what I do know and (think) I understand, it’s not really a quick and simple task to make all events/races have dynamic weather. It’s not really a copy and paste a few lines of code type deal so I’m guessing it’s one of those things that, yes, certainly can be done, but they probably don’t have the manpower to do it at this time without sacrificing stuff that is higher priority. They’re still trying to build out the car and track list.
They selected the tracks they did that do have it for whatever reason(s) to showcase it, but I’m betting don’t have the desire to spend limited resources on it for every race in the game.
It’s not that it’s too hard, but rather too time consuming based on their priorities and resource availability.

Not a single track in the Americas having rain also must be some bizarre intentional decision.
I believe PD said the America's have less rain than Europe or Asia.
They have obviously never seen a Brazilian GP.
Also America is a country that due to its size has rainfall somewhere every day.

Creating custom tracks would be amazing, but I can't see how it can be possible with the current levels of graphics and VR mode etc. Unless it's maybe doing something like the gymkhana course on a massive carpark.
The graphics and VR are not the reason a track editor wouldn't be possible in GT7, it absolutely would, it would just take time to be developed as there's no feature or accommodation for one in the game at present. It's nowhere near impossible, however it's highly unlikely simply due to it not being something PD have planned to add.

But the graphics are no real issue whatsoever from a technological perspective. You just have to create the assets the editor will use at that graphical fidelity. You an AI to do a lot of the work on that, especially if you aren't reacreating replicas of real biuldings, which in a track editor would likely be the case.

I see it as exremely possible if PD wanted to do such a thing, though it would have taken resources away from other things to have developed.

Last edited:
I remember seeing an image of gt7 deep forest raceway with rain, yet it's not in the game yet. Also in the intro you see the suzuka ferris wheel lit up at night, also missing. Things like this make me feel it is being saved to perhaps be drip fed later, only time will tell I guess.

No, I'm actually not a fan of track editors because most people are not track designers, so as a result, there would likely be very few good original designs and a lot more imitations of other circuits. I feel like the resources that would potentially be spent on such a thing could be better-spent elsewhere.

No, I'm actually not a fan of track editors because most people are not track designers, so as a result, there would likely be very few good original designs and a lot more imitations of other circuits. I feel like the resources that would potentially be spent on such a thing could be better-spent elsewhere.
Fair enough, I'm curious what content would you rather see? I personally find little value in more cars and tracks being added if the events are crappy, like Grand Valley, such a great new track but with only 500-600pp events, what a waste.

Fair enough, I'm curious what content would you rather see? I personally find little value in more cars and tracks being added if the events are crappy, like Grand Valley, such a great new track but with only 500-600pp events, what a waste.
Not good for grinding, but Grand Valley has a decent variety of fun races. In fact, it’s one of my new testing grounds for tuning. It’s been a bit since I’ve been in GT7, but Grand Valley has a 5XXpp for historic cars, a WTC 600 event, 2 different no limit pp races (1 for Japanese cars and 1 for American) and a 950pp limit for Gr.1 cars, I think.

PD already have Championships from different World Circuit locations. I can’t see how anything could impede such a program for players to string these events together.
IMG_2487.png

They will never in a million years give us another track editor, you might as well scratch that one off the list right now.

We didn’t get one in GTS, and people would create real world tracks that would likely cause licensing issues. But that’s just my guess.
I’m guessing worries over potential licensing issues has nothing at all to do with it. Even if people made tracks extremely close to representing real world tracks, who are they going to waste money and legal resources going after? PD who didn’t actually create them nor is making a direct profit from? The individual also not making any money from and uses it for their own personal use, who likely has about enough money to pay for maybe 1 day of the legal teams time if they actually pursue and win? Sure, people can share videos of what they created on YouTube and get views, but they’re not getting rich by any means from that.

Think of it like the livery editor, where people literally download registered trademarks and images from the internet, upload those registered trademarks and copyrighted materials all day every day to use without first getting permission. How many people have gotten sued so far over the livery editor because of registered trademarks and licensed company logos being used without permission?

Unless PD themselves put actual licensed stuff in the game to use without acquiring said permissions to do so, then it’s not really an issue worth worrying about.

I’m no expert, but there have been plenty of instances in so many different games over the years with the ability for players to create stuff that is very close to (and sometimes exact replicas of) real world things that are licensed and no issues.

I’m guessing worries over potential licensing issues has nothing at all to do with it. Even if people made tracks extremely close to representing real world tracks, who are they going to waste money and legal resources going after? PD who didn’t actually create them nor is making a direct profit from? The individual also not making any money from and uses it for their own personal use, who likely has about enough money to pay for maybe 1 day of the legal teams time if they actually pursue and win? Sure, people can share videos of what they created on YouTube and get views, but they’re not getting rich by any means from that.

Think of it like the livery editor, where people literally download registered trademarks and images from the internet, upload those registered trademarks and copyrighted materials all day every day to use without first getting permission. How many people have gotten sued so far over the livery editor because of registered trademarks and licensed company logos being used without permission?

Unless PD themselves put actual licensed stuff in the game to use without acquiring said permissions to do so, then it’s not really an issue worth worrying about.

I’m no expert, but there have been plenty of instances in so many different games over the years with the ability for players to create stuff that is very close to (and sometimes exact replicas of) real world things that are licensed and no issues.
It means that real tracks will complain, and then PD will have to allocate resources to having people delete tracks that are too close to the real world versions. Essentially, it’s burning money, for no profit for them. So I don’t see it happening. It takes them 6 months to give us one track, what are gonna do with a track editor really? Who’s gonna spend that much time making tracks? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
It means that real tracks will complain, and then PD will have to allocate resources to having people delete tracks that are too close to the real world versions. Essentially, it’s burning money, for no profit for them. So I don’t see it happening. It takes them 6 months to give us one track, what are gonna do with a track editor really? Who’s gonna spend that much time making tracks? 🤷‍♂️
With all respect, thats not how it works and if it were, we would never see a track creator in any game ever and circuit licensors would be constantly going after replicated tracks built as mods or via track editors. @BangsMcCoy is correct in his comments that licensing has nothing to do with it.

As for who would create the tracks, plenty of people do create tracks that take months, years on occasion, for Assetto Corsa and many other games. Some absolutely amazing tracks have been made by people in their spare time. I know I'd have a good time tinkering with it and more so, enjoying other peoples creations.

Last edited:
6 months! Is that how long PD are claiming it takes to make one track?
Are they hand sculpting it from clay or something 😆

Last edited:
A track editor in GT7 with greater resolution
and depth in making beautiful circuits
it would be one of the best new components to make a GT7 2.0!!!!
BUT it should get even bigger resources and this is something PD hurts..
Νow for custom championships, I think it is much easier to make it a reality and i don't understand why PD doesn't make it real

Last edited:
6 months! Is that how long PD are claiming it takes to make one track?
Are they hand sculpting it from clay or something 😆
It supposedly takes something like 6000 man hours to add one car now, with how much detail goes into the models. I can only imagine how long a track takes.

Last edited:
Back