Anyone else having issues with certain decals preventing liveries from saving?

United States
USA
I have a PS5 now and same stable internet connection. However, I still have issues with my liveries showing up in thumbnails and also when I go to mod them it just spins loading an never shows the car with the livery. I have to go back out to home page and go back in several times before the car with livery shows up. Very annoying.

However, I stumbled on another troubling issue. It seems that certain decals cause the system to just sit and spin and not save your livery. I was making the Techsport Z GT4 car and I had all the livery decals on it, except the "Steel-It" decal. If I saved the livery WITHOUT the Steel-It decal on the hood, its saved with no issues every single time in my testing. However, every time I added the Steel-It decal, it just spun forever NEVER saving the livery. So I had to make the Steel-It decal myself in Inkscape to get by the problem. It took me 3 days of grief to figure it out with countless lost work on this car....Aggravating to say the least.

I'm currently having the same issue with a Craft-Bamboo AMG GT3. All my work saved fine, up until yday and this morning when I tried again. Will try to hunt down the decal that may be causing the server not to save my livery, as this seems to be what caused the problem in my Z. So it may not be a server issue or connectivity issue at all if people are having same issue. Maybe its the decals you use from others that may be an issue? It certainly was for my Z so I'm assuming its the same with my AMG.

Any thoughts?

I've had a similar issue, never got to the bottom of it.
Yeah, I accidentally stumbled on it. I've lost countless liveries over the past 2 years due to this happening. Few days ago with it happening yet again, I just couldnt understand why I was able to save that Z's livery everyday until last sunday. So after 3 days at Super Saiyan 5, over this issue, I, for some reason decided to remove the liveries on the hood of the Z and start over with the hood, and it magically saved, which it wouldn't for 3 days. So I added the decals one by one and saved after every decal and bam I found the problem.

When I get back home I will do the same with the AMG and see if its the same issue. If so, then I think we have a lot of bad decals out there as I've been suffering this issue for around 2 years etc. Always blamed the servers as it was literally Russian Roulette on if it will save lol. I actually stopped creating liveries for a time, it got that bad.

Yeah, I accidentally stumbled on it. I've lost countless liveries over the past 2 years due to this happening. Few days ago with it happening yet again, I just couldnt understand why I was able to save that Z's livery everyday until last sunday. So after 3 days at Super Saiyan 5, over this issue, I, for some reason decided to remove the liveries on the hood of the Z and start over with the hood, and it magically saved, which it wouldn't for 3 days. So I added the decals one by one and saved after every decal and bam I found the problem.

When I get back home I will do the same with the AMG and see if its the same issue. If so, then I think we have a lot of bad decals out there as I've been suffering this issue for around 2 years etc. Always blamed the servers as it was literally Russian Roulette on if it will save lol. I actually stopped creating liveries for a time, it got that bad.
I'd had to abandon one livery, having thought I'd fixed it a couple of times by removing a decal, but it still hadn't reliably fixed it. At one point when I had managed to open it I also managed to successfully save it as a style (albeit part finished), I couldn't then open it again, but I shared it anyway and another user was able to open it.. I left it a few months and came back to it, and now it works.

I had a similar problem with a much less involved livery that I wasn't fussed about losing, the only thing they had in common, was that all the decals where black and white. I've not checked to see if that now works in fairness.

As far as I'm concerned there's no repeatable cause, and no repeatable solution if it starts to happen, which really is offputting when it comes to complex liveries - however, I would say, that I had it happen with those two liveries in a short time, but never before or since.

I'd had to abandon one livery, having thought I'd fixed it a couple of times by removing a decal, but it still hadn't reliably fixed it. At one point when I had managed to open it I also managed to successfully save it as a style (albeit part finished), I couldn't then open it again, but I shared it anyway and another user was able to open it.. I left it a few months and came back to it, and now it works.

I had a similar problem with a much less involved livery that I wasn't fussed about losing, the only thing they had in common, was that all the decals where black and white. I've not checked to see if that now works in fairness.

As far as I'm concerned there's no repeatable cause, and no repeatable solution if it starts to happen, which really is off-putting when it comes to complex liveries - however, I would say, that I had it happen with those two liveries in a short time, but never before or since.
Thanks for the input. That's interesting. I've been plagued with this problem for past 2 years. It would just randomly happen and destroy my liveries. Sometimes Id get them back down the road too like you, but most of them are dead. Extremely frustrating.

Most of them happened when I still had the PS4 with digital copy running. So I always wondered if it was that. PD even did something after many of my submitted complains, after it crashed. When you restart, after a Livery death spiral, and go back to the failed livery, there would be a box in your livery library for that car, to recover it. That usually would bring it back, until you saved again lol.

But now I have the PS5 with disc and it saves way faster than with the digital copy and for the first 2 weeks I didn't have one single problem saving a livery. That changed this week. For both cars, there was no recovery box for either livery in my livery library for those cars, so it looks like that feature is gone now?

I will keep testing the AMG and see if its a decal thing too when I get a chance. If not, then I'm at a loss at to what going on with GT7. It pretty unstable in general. I get kicked from lobbies so often I don't bother any more. Also every few weeks I have to keep resaving my liveries as they thumbnails don't last. Also I get crashes in lobbies when I scroll through my garage to find a car lol. Even in single player mode, game slows don't drastically when I scroll through my garage and have crashed a few times. Very buggy issues. I don't think its connectivity issues alone.

But now I have the PS5 with disc and it saves way faster than with the digital copy and for the first 2 weeks I didn't have one single problem saving a livery.
I'm on PS5 disc. I do think there's an element of 'timing out' to it, given the primary livery I talk about above still takes a while to load properly on the car.

It's old news, and may not apply anymore, but in the early days of GTS my livery editor would fail when uploading 9 times out of 10. I went to a wired connection to the router instead of Wifi, and my failure rate dropped to zero. This was repeatable so I know in certain circumstance a Wifi connection would cause problems. But I never get any other network errors, not on the PS5 or the PS4.

I'm on PS5 disc. I do think there's an element of 'timing out' to it, given the primary livery I talk about above still takes a while to load properly on the car.

It's old news, and may not apply anymore, but in the early days of GTS my livery editor would fail when uploading 9 times out of 10. I went to a wired connection to the router instead of Wifi, and my failure rate dropped to zero. This was repeatable so I know in certain circumstance a Wifi connection would cause problems. But I never get any other network errors, not on the PS5 or the PS4.
Good point. I will have to get a wired connection in a few months when I move and see if that at least solves the livery issues. As for the livery saving time out, I think that used to happen with the PS4 and the digital GT7 since it took a long long time to save. However, on the PS5 and the hard disk, it saves in less than 6-9 sec and never times out. When I get the death spiral now, it happens in less than 3 secs. Its an almost immediate death spiral.

BTW, I just tried my AMG livery that started doing the usual death spiral. I removed the decal that i think might have caused the issue. It was TrackXperience decal. I removed it, and the livery saved no problem. I put it back on and just like with Steel-It, it fails to save every time. Very strange. If it was wifi connection related it should be failing regardless of removing that decal or not.

Sounds like a server issue?

Good point. I will have to get a wired connection in a few months when I move and see if that at least solves the livery issues. As for the livery saving time out, I think that used to happen with the PS4 and the digital GT7 since it took a long long time to save. However, on the PS5 and the hard disk, it saves in less than 6-9 sec and never times out. When I get the death spiral now, it happens in less than 3 secs. Its an almost immediate death spiral.

BTW, I just tried my AMG livery that started doing the usual death spiral. I removed the decal that i think might have caused the issue. It was TrackXperience decal. I removed it, and the livery saved no problem. I put it back on and just like with Steel-It, it fails to save every time. Very strange. If it was wifi connection related it should be failing regardless of removing that decal or not.

Sounds like a server issue?
Are these decals you've made, or are they from the Showcase?

If you post them we can see if anyone else struggles with them.

I know for me it's been certain decals. I rebuilt one livery 5-6 times from scratch for a contest. Pretty sure I eventually ID'd the decals (someone else's rally decals) and then I used them again on another livery and froze that one, because I seemingly lack long term memory.

I Save-As when I work through a livery now. Gets to be a mess but it helps lose only a little work if something goes wrong:

Last edited:
I Save-As when I work through a livery now. Gets to be a mess but it helps lose only a little work if something goes wrong:
I did something similar, still had to start from scratch a couple of times.

1697283557785.png

Are these decals you've made, or are they from the Showcase?

If you post them we can see if anyone else struggles with them.
Its decals from the showcase. I mentioned them above. Just so you don't have to scroll up and sift through the post, they are: "Steel-It" and "Trackxperience". Type both of those in exactly the way they are spelt, minus the hyphen, and you will see the decals that cause me the issue.

Funny thing is, a few days later, i tried to find "trackxperience" logo on the net to make my own, but couldn't find one single pic. So since I wanted to complete the livery so bad, I tried again to put "trackxperience" from the showcase back on same car and miraculously, it did the initial save in the editor but when it does the final save before you get back out to the home page, it did the death spiral. Restarted and bam, cant see the car or livery for about 5 mins. Eventually it showed up but it did not show the saved livery with "trackxperience" on the car. Oh well.

As mentioned in one of my above posts, I made my own "Steel-It" decal and had no problems. I still have issues with the showcase "Steel-It."

I know for me it's been certain decals. I rebuilt one livery 5-6 times from scratch for a contest. Pretty sure I eventually ID'd the decals (someone else's rally decals) and then I used them again on another livery and froze that one, because I seemingly lack long term memory.

Same here haha. I have so many broken liveries due to this. I gave up on a ton of them because of the amount of work I put in. I just didn't have the mental energy to start over. I make a lot of my own decals and have never had a problem with them. I think what I will do is make the base livery that just shapes etc, and soon as I start the decal phase, Ill save after every decal to try and avoid going super saiyan. I got into the habit of doing most of the livery then saving. Bad move and you think I would learn after the first few hundred times it happened to me...smh...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back