Anyone else miss the old menu design of past GT games?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTOne2Three
  • 24 comments
  • 1,563 views
Messages
932
Messages
Chicano3000X
Messages
Chicano3000
Where GTMode was a map, and it seemed simpler.

Also, anyone else notice that one of the main menu backgrounds where you see a whole bunch of cars driving around a city made of gray blocks looks like it could have been a good concept for what GT mode's map would have looked like?
 
I actually like the look it has now, a bit like spread-sheet racing in I-Racing. The way you click through starting from one page.
It has a lesser feeling of menu buttons this way i think. The map was nice but rather boring in GT4. What i dislike a bit is the garage though.
Don't know why exactly but in general i like it more like this.
Close and tucked in next to eachother on a menu you can choose the mood and surrounding a bit yourself.
 
No, thats one thing i don't miss. I never liked the random jumping all over the place to find something.
 
I never was to crazy about the old map layout of GT. took a while to get where you wanted to go finding the dealership races that you had left to do was a real pain in the backside as well as finding the car you wanted if you were not up on which cars came from which countries.

The new layout seems a bit better but I do miss the dealership races, the special parts in tuner village and the nitrous packages.
 
The old map layout made it alot easier to see which cars came from which countries to enter events, now its really hard to tell :sick:
 
Nope, I'm actually quite fond of the GT Life screen in GT5.



Parker
 
I sorta miss the old layout but this one is much better. I remember constantly flipping from one area to another and getting really confused.

It did however seem to have an International feel to it and gave you the impression you were traveling from one country to another.
 
The interface for GT Mode on GT4 was actually, as far as interface design goes, pretty appalling. The fact that it didn't all fit on the screen and had two dimensions of scrolling meant the whole thing was a bit too large. The icons had a counter intuitive layout and navigating around was horrible, a grid layout would have been far more efficient.

I used to design interfaces for small devices which had a similar input (four directional buttons) to a console, and basically everything the GT4 interface did was on the list of big no-no's. The GT Life screen on GT5 is much cleaner and a lot more efficient.

Personally I think the most awesome menus from the GT series came from GT1 & GT2 because, Although they weren't technically as well designed as GT5's, I do have a soft spot for high contrast menus with fast music blasting out behind it :)
 
^ lol that's why I put Gt1's menu music in GT5's menu. :)
 
I thought GT4 had the best menus of them all. I don't really know why, but it just gave me a fuzzy feeling inside whenever I fired up the game and came to the World Map. The menu music was also much better in GT4 in my opinion.

EDIT: Wow, I just noticed something. I could actually take GT4's menu music and put it in GT5! brb
 
I thought GT4 had the best menus of them all. I don't really know why, but it just gave me a fuzzy feeling inside whenever I fired up the game and came to the World Map. The menu music was also much better in GT4 in my opinion.

EDIT: Wow, I just noticed something. I could actually take GT4's menu music and put it in GT5! brb

Most of GT4's BGM was slow and boring IMO. Thought GT1's got u more pumped up. Felt more like the music was made using car sounds.
 
GT5's GT Life screen just sucks IMHO. Looks like it was thrown together at the last minute. And the wait/load times between events and something as simple as changing the oil is just nuts.
 
It's a case of love it or hate it I think. I for one loved the GT4 menu. It was clumsy as hell, but that didn't matter to me. Must be because I've got a soft spot for menu-driven games and generally like a deep menu system I can get lost in, helps me get immersed or something. I thought it was quite charming, but then I'm also a massive Football Manager fan so I must be a bit weird. I do like GT5's menu layout though, still has lots of stuff going on.
 
I think GT5's menu tries to make things simple, but GT3 did it better; and the way the Used Car dealership was set up in GT4 (split up by era so there are more cars available) was also much better.
 
I really enjoyed the GT4 menu. It felt like there was more to explore. I liked having 2 used car dealers, the countries separated into their own areas of the map. I even liked the 3D icons for the areas of interest.
 
I liked the map, but I like the GT5 layout also.

I wished there was more than one tuning shop like in GT4 though.
 
In general, I prefer GT4's menus. Yeah, they were kind of confusing at first, but that became a non-issue after a few hours of playing. I liked how the dealers were all separated by country, it felt as if you really were traveling from dealer to dealer when you were shopping for a car. I also preferred the garage in GT4. It seemed to give more info at a glance, and had more sorting options (though that may or may not actually be true).
 
The old map layout made it alot easier to see which cars came from which countries to enter events, now its really hard to tell :sick:

That's why theres entry requirement screens.

I don't really miss the old layout because nothing was aligned, so when you wanted to move left to a dealership, it probably moved up and to the left to a track location. It's a good layout for a free cursor, not for a directional pad cursor. The new layout is suitable, simple, and easy to navigate. Works for me.
 
I don't remember much about the menus in gt3 or 4 but I remember gt2 and 1 well. I think the one centralised tuning shop approach is better than the dozen branded ones splattered around the shops. Although I'd still prefer if the tuning shop was accessable from garage. just like the gt auto thing. It would theoretically at least shorten the loading times and make it easier to get things done efficiently.

In gt1 the way you tune the car was much better than in gt5. Using L1 and R1 to switch between changing parts and tuning the setup worked better and there was less "getting that cursor there" clicking going on... Now the setup and parts changing menu is a bit of mess with too much clicking and trying to get the cursor to move to the exit button... Or to find the parts you can adjust... Gt5 menus feel more like they are made used for mouse but we have to use gamepads for it...

I think the map system in gt1 was personal and easy to use. It felt in some way "big" in positive way. In gt2 the way it was split to four sub-screens (east, north, south, west) probably wasn't such a great idea though. I'd defenately take the map system instead of what we have now in gt5. And the yellow black theme. All that gt personal look gone now :nervous:

I also miss the absense of the b-spec :sly:

I would have probably added the top menu from gt2 to the top of the screen where you could quickly go to race/garage/map/trophies. I really liked how the garage and all those other bits were constantly available.
 
The GT5 menus are closer to those found in GT3, which makes me like the GT Life menu system a lot. It needs to be compartmentalized in future games to really work, though, as one can see when they go to select a track, and have an inconvenient time finding a certain track and the desired variation quick enough.

Then again, anything's better than GT4.
 
I like the menu now. Very clean, straightforward, and looks nice. I also like how the A/B Spec tabs change as you get farther along in each.
 
I dont see why people are complaining about the menus in GT5. Its pretty straightforward to use, I never had a problem with it, even the first time I've used it.
 
I didn't like it at first, but now I quite like it.

I wish though you could go straight to the Auto Parts shop from the garage and car set up menu rather then going back to home waiting for it to load and then into the Auto Parts shop, it should be a bit more streamlined where you can access any menu from wherever you are. But that's IMO.

I am glad that there are no races for individual makes in GT5 i never did finish them in GT4, I did in GT2 though and that was some effort...
 
I wish though you could go straight to the Auto Parts shop from the garage and car set up menu rather then going back to home waiting for it to load and then into the Auto Parts shop, it should be a bit more streamlined where you can access any menu from wherever you are. But that's IMO.

And also the other way around. Need more garage hot key buttons. Probably should have it in the Dealerships too, so you can check if you have a certain car or not.
 
Back