Anyone else tired of using Japanese cars to keep up in GR4 & 3?

• Thread starter gapper59
  • 18 comments
United States
Addison IL.
Since I've been playing this game in GT Sport, the Japanese cars were the most used in the daily races thanks to the BOP.
Lately I was happy to see the verity of cars being used in the GR 3 races until this latest update.
Now in the last few weeks we're back to the Supra in GR 3 with the Japanese cars still dominating GR 4.
I know some people can do well with other cars, but for me and most people we don't stand a chance of winning if we don't use the best car available.
The changes they made in the last update was supposed to make it more fair, but we're right back to where we were in my opinion.
Am I seeing this wrong or is there some favoritism going on here?

I know some people can do well with other cars, but for me and most people we don't stand a chance of winning if we don't use the best car available.
If you drive a "slower car" and your time is affected by that and you still see the meta car, then the other driver has a qualifying time that is similar to yours so you actually stand a chance as much as the game was able to pool you together.
Unless you are driving with top players where the difference comes down to the car (because all are driving equally fast in the same car) or you try to compete in time trials with a car of your own choice, it doesnt really matter that one car stands above the rest, the deciding factor is the average drivers abilities.

Though yes, I am not a fan of that the Renault Megane Trophy just has too little power to compensate the low weight advantage.

I don't agree about Gr4. I did a lot of Brands Hatch in last week's Daily Races and post update 1.31, I saw a good diversity of cars doing well.

No comment about Gr3 has I had zero experience with them in this update. The Supra only has highest top speed but top speed alone is not sufficient to make it a meta car. Waiting for this week to unfold further to see the extend of variety in Gr3 cars.

If you drive a "slower car" and your time is affected by that and you still see the meta car, then the other driver has a qualifying time that is similar to yours so you actually stand a chance as much as the game was able to pool you together.
Unless you are driving with top players where the difference comes down to the car (because all are driving equally fast in the same car) or you try to compete in time trials with a car of your own choice, it doesnt really matter that one car stands above the rest, the deciding factor is the average drivers abilities.

Though yes, I am not a fan of that the Renault Megane Trophy just has too little power to compensate the low weight advantage.
I appreciate your response.
I always try out different cars when I qualify and 90% of the time the meta car ends up being the fastest
which is usually a Japanese car, and its been that way for years.
IMO it just takes some of the fun out of it and doesn't seem fair, like this update was supposed to do.

I don't agree about Gr4. I did a lot of Brands Hatch in last week's Daily Races and post update 1.31, I saw a good diversity of cars doing well.

No comment about Gr3 has I had zero experience with them in this update. The Supra only has highest top speed but top speed alone is not sufficient to make it a meta car. Waiting for this week to unfold further to see the extend of variety in Gr3 cars.
That might be true for last week but this week the Mazda is the GR4 meta, the Supra in GR3

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on your DR. I did a few races yesterday on daily race B and C, I didn’t use any of the meta cars, and did great. (D and C lobbies)

Sure, if you’re an A+ driver, the car choice could make a difference, but then again, on the world tour live events, some drivers are getting good results not driving the meta cars. It may be harder, but not impossible.

Last edited:
Yeah, the BOP has completely knee capped my Dodge Vipers. 300 something hp in GR.4 and 500 something hp in GR.3. Both get weight added as well. Put that together with not being able to change at least the final drive in the transmission and it's bs.

You're not the only one. I've mentioned it more than a couple of times.

You don't need to experience it... just look at the leader boards.

Last edited:
The Sheeple are the issue. I've won Gr.4 races in the Aston, the Mustang, the Renault and the Audi in the past. If people drove what they enjoyed rather than chasing that elusive tenth then the races would be more varied. The game puts you with similarly ranked drivers, so drive what you enjoy.

Ultimately it's a game, not a competition (I'm talking about Sport mode, not the Nations etc.). You wouldn't drive a car you didn't like in single player, so why do it online?

Congratulations for completely missing the point of my message.

The differentiation I made between Nations/ Manufacturers and the rest of Sport Mode is that there is no ultimate goal to be gained from winning. Don't get me wrong, we all want to win, but if everyone drove the cars they enjoyed they would still be placed in to lobbies with similar speed differentials and would still likely finish in the same positions they already finish in - it just wouldn't feel as cookie cutter and bland as it does now.

But that's human nature for you, most people drive the meta because they think they'll finish higher up the grid, but all the game does it up your DR and put you against faster people in the long run - thus giving the same net result.

As has been said, the aliens of the world who are competing with the best of the best then that's a different scenario as the extra 10ths the OP car can provide is the difference, but in the middle leagues it makes barely any difference to the end result at all.

I just want the Vipers to be equal tothe best cars, the more best cars in total, the better.
Would be achieved if all cars would have the same performace and just be visually different.
But then that wouldnt be "real driving simulator" anymore as this implies a somewhat different touch to each car for feeling more realistic ;)

Im all for every car having an equal chance to win... Or at least couple cars are the best at whatever track is this week.

As far as calling people sheeple for chasing tenths? You do realize that these are RACES right? LoL. Its not 10 laps of sightseeing, im trying to be the fastest i can be. And the daily races are directly relate to the nations/manu cup. It doesn't sound like you understand how the game work. If you want to do well in the nations/manu cup you have to get your DR up in daily races to get more points in the cup.

Im all for every car having an equal chance to win... Or at least couple cars are the best at whatever track is this week.

As far as calling people sheeple for chasing tenths? You do realize that these are RACES right? LoL. Its not 10 laps of sightseeing, im trying to be the fastest i can be. And the daily races are directly relate to the nations/manu cup. It doesn't sound like you understand how the game work. If you want to do well in the nations/manu cup you have to get your DR up in daily races to get more points in the cup.
The message I received was that unless you are a top split level driver the car makes no difference, there is more to be gained from learning to be a better driver than by choosing the meta car.

What you're failing to realise is how exactly GT7 'pairs' you with other drivers. Chase extra 10ths all you wish, it'll make you a better driver, but it will in turn put you against drivers that are faster.

As such you're best off driving what you enjoy, instead of being a sheep and driving what everyone else is driving. I guarantee you'll get pretty much the same finishing positions you're getting now, but you'll be driving whatever you fancy.

It is a racing GAME for 99% of the player base, not a racing CAREER. Your livelihood doesn't depend on it, you do it for enjoyment, so drive what you enjoy.

Way late to this party and I don't really get to play too much anymore but pre-update the Gr 4 meta I saw in the dailies was the Audi TT - which was often the Gr 4 meta in GTS (when there was no tire wear) and had people complaining about the dominance of FF cars. One of the theories of why tire wear was so bad in FF cars was that it was an attempt to offset their dominance in their category.

Back