Anyone ever blow a tire?

• Thread starter Alltidxx
  • 16 comments
Sweden
Sweden
TeamBubblegum
The thought just struck me. I'm thinking I will run as far as I can on the first stint on a 1 stopper on softs just to watch the colours of the tires and to examine whether the tire will blow eventually or not. :dopey:

Ive blown my tire numerous times from just scrapping other cars or the walls. I think its pretty likely you can do it from excessive wear.
Would be interesting to find out.

Yes, its always happened to me a lot around Monaco when I've glanced too many barriers. It only seems to happen to the rear tyres though I haven't tried to puncture the fronts.
Once you have the puncture, the car becomes impossible to turn without spinning and you are forced to make a pit to repair it, just like when you've broken your front wing off (the forced pit I mean).

I've trashed tires from hitting walls as well, but I wonder about wear. I'll try it out when I get time.

I've done the same thing. Hitting the wall and limping back for a tire change. It is so difficult to control the car, that by the time you get to the pits, your race is lost. As for the front wing, I won't change it if there is 5 laps left or less. The time lost in the pits won't be made up on the track. Plus, the pit crew will change your tires regardless of how new they are!!!

I've done the same thing. Hitting the wall and limping back for a tire change. It is so difficult to control the car, that by the time you get to the pits, your race is lost. As for the front wing, I won't change it if there is 5 laps left or less. The time lost in the pits won't be made up on the track. Plus, the pit crew will change your tires regardless of how new they are!!!

Oshow, I hope you can take part in the weekly hotlap competition. It's Renault at Magny-Cours this week. Your hotlap has to be inby 4pm on sunday GMT

I don't understand, what time is that? 17:00 then if you're in the UK for example?

Normally, England is GMT, but in summer time, daylight saving or british summer time is added on, so all of the clocks in the England are turned forward 1 hour. So it becomes GMT+1 hour, many other countries do this also, in fact almost all of them do (I think, at least in Europe?).

It basically means that its at 4pm still. Just that its not GMT, you should calculate whatever time difference from GMT+1 not GMT+0.
Before British Summer Time, if GT4 Genius says "4pm UK time", it would be GMT+0 and that would mean someone in France would see this as 5pm in their time, GMT+1. However, if its during summer, 4pm UK time would be GMT+1 and France would still be 5pm but be GMT+2.

Last edited:
Normally, England is GMT, but in summer time, daylight saving or british summer time is added on, so all of the clocks in the England are turned forward 1 hour. So it becomes GMT+1 hour, many other countries do this also, in fact almost all of them do (I think, at least in Europe?).

Ahh right, so in the UK it basically means 16:00 if you've got your watch set correctly? :)

And the answer is no, it is not possible. With soft tires and extreme camber on budapest with preset 1 traction control (constant acceleration spinning) during 30% race of scaled wear where my pitstop was at lap 17 out of 21 and with some hard warming during parade lap and recurring turn one spin (due to settings) and hard cutting over curbs, grass, stone and possibly some sunbathing toursists, my pitcrew told me my tires were getting worn at lap 2 but they never blew nonetheless. Yellow and then orange and then the wear stopped. The tires got visibly worn though, don't think I've ever seen that before. At least some amusement during this tedious test as well as with experimenting with driving views. :cool:

Last edited:
A couple of days ago i was racing my SA (carreer) at Silverstone.I was going round Copse,Checked behind,DC is some way behind me,when all of a sudden i veered to the right and smashed into the barriers for no reason at all...All i can think of is that i had a blowout but i can't be 100%...Weird!!!

A couple of days ago i was racing my SA (carreer) at Silverstone.I was going round Copse,Checked behind,DC is some way behind me,when all of a sudden i veered to the right and smashed into the barriers for no reason at all...All i can think of is that i had a blowout but i can't be 100%...Weird!!!

I thought that actually happened to me at turn 7 at Catalunya, because the car straightened up and I speared into the tire wall. But it was just an engine failure, you lose almost all control when that happens. I would say that is what happened to you most likely.

Strange...Another strange one at Magny,again in the SA,Sat practice,i do the 1st lap with no probs,come the second lap just after the pit exit and engine blows...Go to garage,exit,2 laps and engine blows in exactly the same place...it happened 4 times and i gave up...However,Qualy sessions were fine,as was the race!!!

Strange...Another strange one at Magny,again in the SA,Sat practice,i do the 1st lap with no probs,come the second lap just after the pit exit and engine blows...Go to garage,exit,2 laps and engine blows in exactly the same place...it happened 4 times and i gave up...However,Qualy sessions were fine,as was the race!!!

I think that happens if you run a short gear ratio with low downforce. I know with Super Aguri that you have to use the acceleration ratio to get the most speed out of it at almost every track. Happened to me a few times before, once I upped the downforce a bit it was fine though.

Shaggy,

The strange thing about it was that i didn't change my set-up for qualy and race and yet the engine was fine...it only blew during practice.

Back