Anyone had PS2 breakdowns

• Thread starter robisme
  • 27 comments
England
West Yorkshire,
stibbz
xStibz
Hi, Just curious to know what problems people have had with their PS2s.
Mine broke yesterday, without any warning. I was playing GT3, finished a sesion on the game, pressed the button to eject the game, so I could put it away, It then made a strange click clicking noise, the disk tray only came out halfway, then went back in again, after a number of attempts  no luck, could not get the game out, the disk tray thing would not go all the way back in either.
I phoned Sony about this trouble, the arranged to exchange it.  Still with the game stuck in, until the get-it to the workshop, then they came return the game later.

Anyway, worried about being without the game for three weeks, I thought I would have another look, The draw came out half way about, but not enough to get the game out, But what the hell, time to take a risk, by bending the disk I took a chance on scratching it, when I pulled it out of the gap, but I got it out ok, without damage to either PS2 or GT3.  The disk draw still has the same problem, won't go in or come out 'Stuck'.

Wonder if anyone else has had trouble.
cya

PS  Sorry, only just noticed the PS2 Discussion lower down.
Perhaps you could move this topic to there ?

(Edited by robisme at 5:18 pm on Aug. 10, 2001)

When the PS2 came out a guy at work had to return his because it had burned up....but, I have had mine since day 1 an no problems....

Hi, Sony has arranged to exchange it for me on Monday, by courier, so I should be back in action sometime that day.

One of my friends also had a game stuck in the tray, but I guess it was because his dog tripped in the controller cord, and the PS2 fell to the floor...

I tell you he was MAD:mad: , but eventually he opened the PS2, thus destroying the warranty seal...but it works fine now..I guess he was lucky that the laser didn't go out of alignment...

A friend of a friend Had his PS2 the day it came out, and it didn't work. Sony exchanged it for a new one, and gave him two free games.

haven't had any problems other than overheating. Once I re-adjusted it, setting the console vertically, all overheating issue were resolved. :D

yeah dude, mine is a piece, it wont play any playstation or blue backed ps2 games, no dvds and or audio cds, only the dvd games, ****in stupid. i am so pissed, and they ARE MAKING ME PAY OVER 120 DOLLARS TO GET IT FIXED god i hate sony right now.

I must say, at severe risk of jinxing myself, that in over 4 years of Playstation 1 & 2 gaming, I have never had a single problem with any Sony hardware.

Well, my wife (well, soon to be ex wife) got really pissed at me a couple of weeks ago.
:argue:
She grabbed my PSX2 and slammed it into the ground!!!!!!!!! I freaked (which was the desired effect), there was yelling, running, screaming (oh yeah, and my wife said a few words as well...lol) anyway, i was sure the unit was toast. Cut to a couple of weeks later, the ex is all moved out, PSX2 is sitting on my entertainment center (next to the purple lava lamp and the black light) with the game stacked on top. One of my two new girlfriends (heh heh) plugged it in, and what do ya know, it worked!!!!! I was so happy.... I cryed... Anyway, this was the day after I had picked up a replacement unit from the ex who paid for a new one... so now I have two. The moral of this story: A bird in the hand is not worth a 3 inch shag carpet and two playstation 2's with two girlfriends
:cheers:
who keep u up all night, night after night.... ????
:sleep:

Had a friend who's PS2 turned itself off one day after a huge GT3 session (aparently in the order of 8~12 hours straight) using the logitech ff wheel. He had to take the unit to Sony and wait about 2 weeks to get it replaced. I think he just burned something out in the unit. Good to hear that there aren't too many reports of problems. They actually sound quite tough after Vodoo Child's tale.

It's no wondewr there were problems, I saw footage of them stacking PS2's at the factory, and the were literally tossing them in stacked piles, like sacks of flour, but iwth a little more accuracy and patience. no joke!

My first PS2, (launch date purchase) stopped reading first DVD's then all discs. Sony wanted a flat rate to fix it, around $250 Can. I opted for buying a new one from EB world with an extended warranty. Sony explained the problem was the laser reader went out of adjustment because I had it standing up. Gee, I wonder why they still sell the stupid stand for? I found another private place to fix it for about $75 Can.

My PS2's been having trouble reading my disc's, and now sometimes the screen gets shaky. I have the extended warranty, but only for 3 more months. Should I report?

Originally posted by BMW///M3
My PS2's been having trouble reading my disc's, and now sometimes the screen gets shaky. I have the extended warranty, but only for 3 more months. Should I report?

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Even if there's nothing wrong it's worth getting checked while they're still paying.

mine broke also..... it wont read that there is a disk in the machine. the local electronics store where i got it says **** off and call sony. sony says it is past their warranty. i took it apart and cant figure it out.

i guess i am buying a new one. what a scam.

-------------
anyway rob a 9.155 ????? damn. i will be trying again shortly.
-------------

Originally posted by BMW///M3

Yes get it fixed, thats how mine started. Soon it wont read at all.

Back