Anyone here takes full advantage of ps2 sound?

To use Dolby Digital on a PS2, you need a receiver capable of decoding the Dolby Digital signal, an optical cable connected to the PS2 and receiver, connect your speakers to the receiver, and a DVD or game that supports Dolby Digital.

To use Dolby Surround Sound on a PS2, you also need a receiver capable of decoding the signal (almost anything, TV's, receivers, VCR's, DVD players can decode it). Connect the PS2 using the RCA cables to the reciever and connect your speakers to the reciever.

i have mine hooked up to a fake surround sound system. it's not dolby and it doesn't really decode the sound, it just seperates background and foreground noise and sends it to different speakers. it uses the standard audio cables. well worth it for under $150 though.

I don't wanna drive all the way to futureshop or something to buy antoher optical cable so I just switch the one I have back and forth between dvd and ps2. But that sometimes gets pretty dangerous cause I have to climb behind my tv and I usually end up getting my fat ass stuck in the corner and spend 20 mins trying to squeeze out without getting stuck on any of the wires I never organized and not knocking my whole setup over.

Im sportin the optical cable.....it really makes a pleasant difference. Except im subwoofer-less right now since mine fried a few months ago (litereally...smoke and everything) and i havent been able to afford a new one yet :( its horrible, cuz ive got tiny satellite speakers which handle NO bass at all, so ive got no low end anymore. A subwoofers like air-conditioning....once you've had it you cant do w/out it anymore!

i just recently hooked my ps2 to digital sound and now am wondering if it will still have digital + dolby sound if i run my ps2 through my vcr and how to do it.

the sound quality is far better.

Kinda, I have my PS2 hooked up to my 13+ year old TV, which is hooked up to my dad's 20+ year old reciever(no exageration, either! He had it before he was married!)

Originally posted by bigwhlkid
i just recently hooked my ps2 to digital sound and now am wondering if it will still have digital + dolby sound if i run my ps2 through my vcr and how to do it.

the sound quality is far better.

Yes, you will still have Dolby Digital if you only run the PS2's video cable through the VCR. Keep your optical cable in your audio receiver.

It might work. I don't know when Macrovision was first implemented.

If your DVD movies start turning colors and fading out, that's Macrovision.

Some newer steroes have surround sound inputs that support Dolby Digital. Than, you don't need a receiver. I have a $280 Sony stereo with Dolby Prologic (etc.) and I plugged in the audio cables from the PS2 to it while running the video cable directly to the TV (haven't bothered buying a VCR) and it works wonders. The only addition I'd do to my system is a sub-woofer, perferably from Sony (than I don't have compatibility issiues).

Originally posted by risingson77
You don't have to buy the same brand sub to ensure compatibility with your receiver. They use standardized connections. 👍

But some sound better with specific recievers than others... But yeah, get something better than Sony:P

i wired my ps2 2 my sterio using the wire the goes into the red and white prongs. My sterio is very good buy the shi-tty wires made it sound like sh-it so i rewired in the normal way.:( i gotta get one of those optical thingys but i am not willing 2 pay an arm and leg for one.

The cables are at futureshop (here in canada) it says that the price is $59.99, $79.99 or $99.99 (canadian prices). The prices vary because of the length of the cable, but the sound is worth it :embarrassed: .

My usual spot when gaming runs stereo with a sub-woofer, so normally, no.

I have run GTA Vice City in all its DTS glory on my full surround system, and it was pretty freakin' impressive.

Back