Anyone noticed the livery censorship/omission in this game?

• Thread starter Fruitcake
  • 25 comments
Netherlands
Netherlands
FruitcakeGT
I was looking at the Renault 5 Maxi Turbo yesterday and i missed the big black 'Philips autoradio' letters on the car, i can understand that maybe Philips doesn't want to be in a Sony game.

gt4_renault_5_turbo_maxi_1.jpg

A few hours later i saw the MB 190E EvoII DTM is missing the Sonax and Boss sponsorship.

amg1bx3.jpg

Why would PD change this? Problems with licensing? Better for the framerate?

They feel naked without the correct livery ;)

Would be great if someone could post some pics of the GTPSP version.

(this could apply to more cars i havent seen yet)

Last edited:
Maybe they no longer have those sponsors so the real life cars had the logos removed which made PD remove it from there models.

Sponsors come and go. Look at the 00 castrol supra logos vs the 01 castrol supra.

I'm putting my money on minimizing the file sizes and maximizing performance. Many cars in the game have very low resolution textures and those liveries might not look bearable so they have been simplified. After all, a solid white bar looks better than a white bar with a pixel mess representing text on it.

I've noticed this with my Lancia delta rally s4. They've rather crudely put white rectangles over each letter in the 'martini' logo. It doesn't look good.

Anyone notice they still haven't fixed the numbers on the S2000 Race Car?(hood says 33 sides say 30)

The strange thing is that the SONAX sponsorship is missing from the 190E but I saw it on another car. Can't remember which car it was, but it was there.

The strange thing is that the SONAX sponsorship is missing from the 190E but I saw it on another car. Can't remember which car it was, but it was there.

Indeed, its on the Opel Astra Touring Car if I remember right, probably the Opel Calibra too. The SONAX sponsorship on those cars is smaller though.

I think its a space issue, they have gotten rid of certain logos in order to help reduce the quality of the textures without making them look too pixellated, because these examples are large(r) sponsor logos which would be move obvious when they have been reduced in quality.

The Audi R8 prototype is missing the infineon sponsorship, which leads me to believe it's not a size issue (because that logo was very small in the first place).

It could be a simple case of a file size limit per car. If the car was over the size limit then they removed some logos to reduce the cars file size to fit it. Im a Graphic Designer and this happens alot from time to time when you have file size limits.

The Lancia Delta Race Car no longer has the Martini sponsorship too

Ya, and this is the odd one, since it never had the sponcership right, not even in GT3 or GT4... so I really don't know of any reason for omiting them...

The Initial D Toyota AE86 is missing the Japanese text on one side of the car saying: Fujiware tofu shop.

never thought of tyhe obvious ones, have ya? Couldn't get the licence for the trademark. that's why so many manufacturers were missing for so long. you have to pay EACH and every corporation money for even the smallest trademark.

never thought of tyhe obvious ones, have ya? Couldn't get the licence for the trademark. that's why so many manufacturers were missing for so long. you have to pay EACH and every corporation money for even the smallest trademark.

That doesn't explain why SONAX are on one car but not another, the size restrictions make more sense. Besides I don't think they'd have to pay them much seeing as its advertising their name. I wouldn't be surprised if some paid to be in the game, or used more often in the game (like the Castrol logos on the Formula GT).

Ya, and this is the odd one, since it never had the sponcership right, not even in GT3 or GT4... so I really don't know of any reason for omiting them...

I think the ESRB would have to bump Gran Turismo up to a teen rating if PD added any alcohol, drug or tobacco sponsorship.

It isn't a matter of ESRB rating. Its against the law in many countries for viewable media to have tobacco sponsorship in games. Stuff like the Lancia Delta (and the XJR-9 from GT4) never had their main sponsorship in-game, going as far back a GT2 at least.

I do a fair bit of car skinning for other games, and I don't think that it's to do with size limitations.

When you texture a car...you get a big square with the body of the car un-wrapped (as in cuts from the base of the front and rear pillars to the wheels, then flattened).

So when you put sponsors on the car, you're overwriting the base colour. It's not a new layer (at least not when you export it). It replaces data, not adds to it.

Heck, even with the worst compression method available (not likely considering 800 cars + 35 tracks + physics + AI = 1gb), adding a sonnax logo would change the file size by a tiny amount.
It isn't a matter of ESRB rating. Its against the law in many countries for viewable media to have tobacco sponsorship in games. Stuff like the Lancia Delta (and the XJR-9 from GT4) never had their main sponsorship in-game, going as far back a GT2 at least.

A WINNER IS YOU

I do a fair bit of car skinning for other games, and I don't think that it's to do with size limitations.

When you texture a car...you get a big square with the body of the car un-wrapped (as in cuts from the base of the front and rear pillars to the wheels, then flattened).

So when you put sponsors on the car, you're overwriting the base colour. It's not a new layer (at least not when you export it). It replaces data, not adds to it.

You're on the right track but it's not that simple. When you have a car that needs a pure white texture you can easily use a 512x512 texture sheet and get away with it. Even 256x256 on such a small screen is a real possibility. However, when you need a texture that includes logos and text you most certainly can't use 256 because the logos would be something like two pixels wide, even 512 is pushing it. You'll need a 1024x1024 texture which is 16 times the size of the 256 texture. In other words, it indeed adds to the data... unless you cut some corners and decide that a blanked 512 texture is good enough. Which is probably what PD has done.

You're on the right track but it's not that simple. When you have a car that needs a pure white texture you can easily use a 512x512 texture sheet and get away with it. Even 256x256 on such a small screen is a real possibility. However, when you need a texture that includes logos and text you most certainly can't use 256 because the logos would be something like two pixels wide, even 512 is pushing it. You'll need a 1024x1024 texture which is 16 times the size of the 256 texture. In other words, it indeed adds to the data... unless you cut some corners and decide that a blanked 512 texture is good enough. Which is probably what PD has done.

Most of those texture sizes are bigger than a whole PSP screen.

Also it does not seem like cars in GT games are totally wrapped in textures. In the menu screens you can change colors of cars very quickly, much faster than you possibly could if a new texture was loading each time. Unless they are doing something tricky like altering the color of textures on the fly...

Also it does not seem like cars in GT games are totally wrapped in textures. In the menu screens you can change colors of cars very quickly, much faster than you possibly could if a new texture was loading each time. Unless they are doing something tricky like altering the color of textures on the fly...
Different colors are almost never different textures, and it is very rare for the colors to be hard coded for the texture. Even two-tone colors are usually done on the fly rather than having a new texture loaded in.

Back