Anyone starved themselves in the name of charity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter X-Othermic
  • 22 comments
  • 834 views
Messages
570
Perhaps the Title wasn't the most appropiate one around, some of you might have got the wrong idea....

Ok, here's the deal.

Tonight, at 7pm, all in the name of charity, i will be going without food for 24 hours. Now, 24 hours may not be much to some of you out there, but it's quite hard to do. Now, you would say that you can just sleep until about Midday, then go until 7pm on an empty stomach no problemo. But i am also planning to go those 24 hours with miminal sleep, perhaps 3-4 hours at best. To clelabrate this self-inflicted pain i am having a massive get together with 12 of my closest friends who have also agreed to do this deed for charity.

I'm not too sure how much we have raised so far, but i will give a total as soon as i can.

Do you think i'm crazy?
 
What, pray tell, is the charity?
 
You seem to be trying to make it as hard on yourself as possible....


..Now go out back and chop some wood while you're doing it ;)


Good luck on your challenge, a mate of mine is gonna get his hair cut (It's bloody long) for charity, he just doesn't know which.
 
Well, we are doing it in co-operation with the school i go to, and the money goes to countries like Ethipoia and Kenya and places like that to help them with Education and Farming and things like that :).
 
How exactly does you not eating benefit anyone? Are people giving you money to not eat? Why? Why don't they just give you money and let you eat? Are they just mean and want to see you starve?
 
👍 Well, it's just like shaving your head for charity, or doing something else stupid, its just not eating.
 
danoff
How exactly does you not eating benefit anyone? Are people giving you money to not eat? Why? Why don't they just give you money and let you eat? Are they just mean and want to see you starve?
I suppose it benefits his wallet and the weekly shop...
 
Just make sure you have plenty to do.. Boredom makes you want to eat and drink..

If you are doing it with some friends, try maybe setting up the PS2 or Xbox and having some multiplayer fun... That'd keep you going for a few hours..

and good luck
 
Well do whatever you like to do. Make sure to drink enough.
Imo that is kind of pointless. As danoff indicated, nobody will have an advantage from a hungry X-Othermic. It's not that great from a medical perspective aswell and that's why your school'S engagement is kind of strange...
 
X-Othermic
That;s the homeless people who have the money, not me.....

By not purchasing a day's worth of groceries, you're just taking money away from some farmer and putting it in your pocket. That's it, no money or food is going to homeless people simply because you didn't eat. It's all coming from your donors - who I guess think it's funny that you're not eating.
 
Is Cup-a-soup allowed? :D
 
Personally, I'm a big fan of helping my own economy and making my life and my peers' lives better that way. People from Kenya and Ethiopia aren't my peers. The only way I would ever give money to a charity that "helped" the poor AIDS people from Africa is if I was the charity. If I was personally in charge of buying supplies with my own money and personally handed the supplies to the little kiddies and personally made sure they used it correctly, then I would donate. It don't trust 99% of charities in this world--you know somebody is getting rich off of it somehow. Especially those Africa-type charities, everyone knows what happens to that money--the drug kingpins and militia leaders and anarchy groups take the money to use on drugs, weapons and supplies that they, in tern, use to topple thier country's gonvernment and kill thier own people. Happens every day, guaranteed. The American government sends billions of dollars per year over to Africa to help these exact causes, and I'd bet that not even a forth of that money gets where it's supposed to be going. If you call lending a friend some money and saying "don't worry, you don't have to pay me back" charity, then I do that every now and then. But I don't give money to organizations, because the CEO just soaks it all up.
I don't know, maybe I'm a cold-hearted bastard (It seems to run in the Rosenkranz family) but I think I'm helping more by not contributing to drug and food related wars going on in other parts of the world. Don't get me started on Church charities, you don't want to hear it.
Oh, and I think starving yourself for a day isn't all that smart, no matter if you actually do help someone in the process. I have my own problems to worry about, like paying for college, so I can't afford to make my life worse in order to (possibly) make sombody's better.
 
Trust me, 24 hours, if you stay distracted, is easy. I don't know why you are only getting 3-4 hours of sleep, but that part sounds silly. I have gone 24 hours and just forgot to eat because I was watching TV, playing video games, or doing a huge research project.

Avoid things like caffeine, sugar, and energy drinks a day in advanced so your metabolism doesn't have anything artificially accelerating it when you start. That way you don't risk burning up your energy early on and feeling lightheaded.

I fasted for a week once and only drank water, lots of water, so I am sure you can do 24 hours. Just reward yourself with something when you are done, so you have encentive. And feeding starving Ethiopians doesn't count. That doesn't motivate like something superficial such as an XBox 360, an iPod, or whatever will.
 
Pffft - 24 hours. Over here we do 40!

It's called the 40hour Famine, and it works like this:

You get people to sponsor you to starve. Say $5-10 if you can last the distance. Then, once the 40hours is up you go and get all the money from the sponsors. This money then goes to the charity, World Vision.

So, it's not inconcievable for each person to raise $100, then if you get thousands of people doing it...

Here's the offcial info: http://www.famine.org.nz/default.aspx

Never been much of a fan of it myself. But as others have said, keep yourself entertained and cure the hunger pains with water...

Good luck.
 
40 hours of Famine?

Oh man does that sound unkinky.
 
I’ve done the 40 hour famine … I went for about 45 hours because I couldn’t bring myself to start eating again, but then I had Jimmy’s mum boil me up some 2 minute noodles! (I was at his house as the 40 hours clocked over)
 
Ok, i have 58 minutes left to go, and i'm not doing too badly. God Tea smells nice....
 
Congrats, you're done! Actually you were done a couple of hours ago. Are ya hungry?
 
Hey all, not too much activiy on my part in these foums in the past few days. I stopped while watching the Englnd rugby game, so i managed to do it (woohoo).

Pesonally i have raised over £100, the school raised about £3,400 total for all these less well off countries.

Thanks for your support!!
 
I'd do it if my church beckoned it for a particular event...if it's where your heart's desire is at...and you have a very big desire for it...you'll do anything for it.
 
Not in name of chairity, but in name of lazyness...

Last summer, i wouldn't eat cause i was to lazzy. But on some lucky days i actually got up from my computer chair and walked to the kitchen. Now i know why my parents throw a welcome back party every time i come out of my room...
 
Back