Anyone still play this?

Tina Branford

(Banned)
United States
United States
I know it's a ripoff title of the other threads oops. I have recently started appreciating this game again after giving it another shot. Which is a almost total180 change on how I was thinking just 2 weeks ago. I started another playthrough a couple days ago for the uptenth time(been playing on and off since 2000!) I have been really loving it again and am happy to say that I already golded all licenses... the Super License being the most enjoyable to get golds of them all. I already have the 22b and a 93 Miata was my starter car for a change instead of the Infini III RX7 I usually go for. I'm sitting at 6.84% completion right now.

Who else still plays this game?

Me. Although not as much as I did 5 or 6 years ago, I still start it up every few weeks or so. I've played it so much that unless it's for modding or the random urge I get to make hacked cars, I don't play it much. I'm also in the tail-end of a 100% playthrough and I think I will not do a legit run in the next 5 or 6 years unless it's of a modded game xD

I've played it too much and i'm saddened when I just get bored playing it now...

I sometimes get the mood to play GT2 every now and then, along with doing a write-up for a story of a playthrough like the kind I read when I first joined this site. I feel like I need to get a Gameshark and start messing around with certain cars and/or use the cut content from the North American release.

Thanks for the replies you two.:) How many playthroughs do you think you have done submaniac93? I try to keep the game feeling as fresh as possibly by playing it only when I have a weird desire to start a file. Entering underpowered and under-classed cars in races keeps the challenge there which I love. For instance I remember entering a fully tuned (R)1983 Mazda RX-7 GT-Turbo into the 'Gran Turismo All Stars Red Rock Valley' race and winning albeit my main opponent car was the Gulf GT40 and not the Toyota GT-One. It's funny I love the first gens because of their success in motorsports.. IMSA in the 80's and so winning a race driving an older GT class IMSA machine is satisfying.

@Kingofweasles GT stories a kind of fun to read once in a while. I'd love to get a gameshark and put cut content in the game as well, I'd like to gameshark the CLK Touring Car into the game more than anything.

Hmmm true playthrough I may have done only 4 or 5 since I got the game in 2000. But played the game in one way or an other, I'm certain it's in the 1 or 2k hours. I went as far as taking the game apart via reading the "console"'s RAM with cheat engine. Thanks to that, I've found the car parts data ad it's helping a lot with the modding progress. I was also among the firsts (if not the first) to make GT2 car sound mods, which were greatly improved since. I know the game like the back of my hand... and yet I still can't tell what bonus car the game awards you for doing each events xD
That I rely on a trusty old website I found a decade ago :P

Hmmm true playthrough I may have done only 4 or 5 since I got the game in 2000. But played the game in one way or an other, I'm certain it's in the 1 or 2k hours. I went as far as taking the game apart via reading the "console"'s RAM with cheat engine. Thanks to that, I've found the car parts data ad it's helping a lot with the modding progress. I was also among the firsts (if not the first) to make GT2 car sound mods, which were greatly improved since. I know the game like the back of my hand... and yet I still can't tell what bonus car the game awards you for doing each events xD
That I rely on a trusty old website I found a decade ago :P

Wow I had no freakin idea that there were engine sound mods out there. Too bad my computer skills leave much to be desired, I can't even figure out how to successfully make the EPSX emu work on my pc. If I could I would play it on that. By the way submaniac93 you know how the GT-One Road Car can come within seconds of the Escudo time at Red Rock when fully tuned? The only thing that makes it a little slower is the lack of downforce that the GT-One Race Car has. I think a perfect mod for the game to make the LMP1 and other circuit cars better than the Escudo would be being able to buy turbos for them or NA upgrades. I'm sure a 975 hp GT-One Race Car would be the fastest car in the game. I mean it was the fastest qualifier in the 1998 Le Mans 24 hour so it would be nice to see it that way in game. If not that just make the escudo unable to get road tires.

I would explain how to make epsxe work but that's against the forum rules. As for changing the car's specs it'll be possible soon, but you won't be able to use a lot of them since there still are power restrictions in place on most events. And changing those means you would have to reprogram the whole opponent roster as it would make the even even more unbalanced than they already are. I don't think you can remove the Escudo's tires, as dirt tires are an upgrade and not default. That would need some tests. Imo I hink it's pretty much impossible to really nerf the car apart from adding in the turbo spool "lag" that it has in later GT games. And then you won't be able to win against the pre-recorded ghost in the Pike's Peak events... so yeah.

Like most of the racecars, the Escudo and Cultus are on Medium compound slicks stock. It actually brings them closer to modern Unlimited class cars like the 208 T16 now that the full climb has been paved.

Definitely yeah. I'm sure the 2 would still be relevant today with a proper asphalt setup. They definitely have the power to back it up.

I still breakout GT2 fairly regularly, ever since I re-acquired a platinum copy 5+ years after losing the one disc and badly scratching the other for my original copy a few years prior (still don't how I managed that really...) It remains to be the best GT title PD has produced for me, very much ahead of it's time in terms of the level of content and the breadth of said content. Such an enjoyable game to play, found myself spending as much time (if not more so), watching replays, trawling through the dealerships and reading the car's description, than actual racing :lol:. To a certain extent you could say the "rose-tinted glasses" effect influences my decision, but I don't consider that a bad thing necessarily, if the memories a game creates make you think of a game so fondly many years on. All part of the "package" I guess, if that makes sense.

Sure it had it's fair share of flaw's and glitches; some more severe than others, though us PAL owners were luckier in that regard, as we dodged the bullet deal with the issues of V1.0 and 1.1, having had V1.2 from the get go. Even then, it kind of added to the charm in some ways, just look at how much as been discovered in terms of hidden features/content and just general modding. Testament to the game and the community when nearly 20 years later people are still fiddling about with it now. Only have to look at the work that's been put in the create the GT2 Plus mod really :bowdown:.

As for myself, well on my current play-through I'm about 25% through if I recall correctly when I last booted it up about a couple of months ago. Surprisingly, despite plunging probably over 1k hours, and many restarts/play-throughs over the years, I've never actually 100% completed GT2; something I want to change.

PS: Apologies for waffling on a bit there, bad habit of mine :lol:.

It's one of the only games that i keep playing due to the nostalgia, and one of the only ones that doesnt dissapoint right after booting it up.
Even after almost 20 years it's still one of the best racing games ever.

The music, the car selection, the tracks and races, everything just fit together perfectly.

Still play it regulary on my PSP, buying that thing was one of my better decisions. :D

I had the urge to play on Pikes Peak, after reading about how Dumas beat the all time track record. Since my old memory cards had disappeared. I downloaded a save file off the internet. Copied it on my PS3, and then copied it back onto my new PS1 memory card, so I can play it on my PS1, and on a CRT. I'm not sure how I was good at the game back in the day, but it's still pretty fun. I'll probably start a new game down the road, and visit it from time to time.

Absolutely, even in late 2018 I break out the disk and spend a good few nights on thanksgiving break pushing my way through GT mode because the replay value is amazing with the amount of older cheap cars you can start out from and transform in to track weapons with their race modifications.

Absolutely. I am starting from scratch this weekend of my first ever 100% (98% on our versions) run. I honestly can not wait to get back into my childhood, but this time, finish the game.

Back