Apex help

Canada
Canada
Probably already discussed but I seem to be having a problem spotting my apex and turn in location. I watch others do it through replays but when I try the same I’m either off the track or have crazy oversteer. I know practice practice practice. Just wondering how others practice hitting the perfect apex and turn in spots. I don’t really look to see how fast I’m going into a turn cause there’s so much to pay attention to. Should I be turning into certain turns at certain speeds or just concentrate on my breaking points?

Thanks!!!

Try turning on the Cones and/or the blue corner/apex markers. They’re definitely helpful at times, especially when learning a new track. They can be found in Driving Options. :)

Try turning on the Cones and/or the blue corner/apex markers. They’re definitely helpful at times, especially when learning a new track. They can be found in Driving Options. :)
The Driving Line may also be helpful, along with these. Do turn off the Driving Line once you’re experienced enough, but keep the Cones on.

As the others have said using the cones and driving line can be useful. But the cones can be knocked out or the way by other cars (or at least they used to be) so don’t rely on them.
Use the visual aids by all means but have some track time with them off too. It’s important to use visual cues from the environment to get your braking and turning points right. Look for anything around the track that can help like maker boards, marshal posts, patches of grass/worn grass, service roads that can help you find that crucial braking or turning point.
It’s also worth watching/following replays/ghosts from the top of the leaderboards to see where they shift, brake and turn.

As the others have said using the cones and driving line can be useful. But the cones can be knocked out or the way by other cars (or at least they used to be) so don’t rely on them.
Use the visual aids by all means but have some track time with them off too. It’s important to use visual cues from the environment to get your braking and turning points right. Look for anything around the track that can help like maker boards, marshal posts, patches of grass/worn grass, service roads that can help you find that crucial braking or turning point.
It’s also worth watching/following replays/ghosts from the top of the leaderboards to see where they shift, brake and turn.
Thanks for the info. I just don’t get how the so called”aliens” post those top ten times. I go around a track literally 50-100 times and can’t even get within 5 seconds of their times. Does their equipment have something to do with it? I’m currently using a t150 with the stock pedals. The pedals don’t seem that great still get the trigger response from them like if you let off the gas a tiny bit the car slows down more than I want. Maybe the pedals are the secret?

Yes use all the optional markers when learning a track, but use them to find PERMANENT markers on and near the track. Turn off the driving line asap, then the cones because they can move, so do the yard boards. Practice staying ahead of the car ie: you should be looking for your next point before you arrive at the current, let your perifreal vision take care of the current marker. Using proper braking technique, trail braking, plays a big part in rotating the car towards the Apex. For driving techniques Google driver61.

Thanks for the info. I just don’t get how the so called”aliens” post those top ten times. I go around a track literally 50-100 times and can’t even get within 5 seconds of their times. Does their equipment have something to do with it? I’m currently using a t150 with the stock pedals. The pedals don’t seem that great still get the trigger response from them like if you let off the gas a tiny bit the car slows down more than I want. Maybe the pedals are the secret?

Gear can help a bit, but really the Aliens are just THAT good. Just keep working at it. You can also check out @Tidgney ’s driving school videos on YouTube, they are a great help and full of info! :)

Yes use all the optional markers when learning a track, but use them to find PERMANENT markers on and near the track. Turn off the driving line asap, then the cones because they can move, so do the yard boards. Practice staying ahead of the car ie: you should be looking for your next point before you arrive at the current, let your perifreal vision take care of the current marker. Using proper braking technique, trail braking, plays a big part in rotating the car towards the Apex. For driving techniques Google driver61.
Can't emphasize this enough. I've missed a braking point more times than I can remember because of a cone or marker board being knocked out of the way and not realizing it until it's too late because I failed to get a permanent reference point.

Can't emphasize this enough. I've missed a braking point more times than I can remember because of a cone or marker board being knocked out of the way and not realizing it until it's too late because I failed to get a permanent reference point.
Mind officially blown . Lol. I stopped using the cones awhile ago but it never dawned on me to pick reference points out before removing them. Can’t wait to give this a go. Big time thank you. Lol

"Accidentally" taking out the first brake marker at T1 of Monza has given me many free positions in online races :D

"Accidentally" taking out the first brake marker at T1 of Monza has given me many free positions in online races :D
toz83zldefs11.png

This is a perfectly valid tactic. Works well at Bathurst too. The ideal scenario is to just nudge them out of place without knocking them over.

There are people posting times right up at the top who are using a controller, and there are also people with very expensive equipment who are much slower than the top people.

The throttle issue you describe is due to the game's non-linear response, there's a huge thread full of people complaining about it, but it never gets changed.

This is a perfectly valid tactic. Works well at Bathurst too. The ideal scenario is to just nudge them out of place without knocking them over.

I’ve done it at Le Mans before just for fun, I took out the ones for the two chicanes down the straight and then the one for the end of the straight. Oh, and then I reset my own cones. :lol:

Try to learn trail braking because you can carry more speed through the corners and that mean faster lap times, and here is a video on how to learn to trail brake.

Back