Apex Legends - Battle Royale in the Titanfall universe

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 18 comments

Scaff

United Kingdom
He/Him
ScaffUK
Looks like we get a new player in the Battle Royale genre today from the makers of Titanfall.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-04-titanfall-developer-respawn-to-reveal-new-game-today

It got announced this morning (after a weekend of rumours), with a release today at 4pm (UK time) and will be F2P.

Should be interesting as Titanfall 2 remains one of the most underrated FPS titles around (in my view) and as long as they get the balance right this could be great.

Update:
Live Stream is from 8pm UK time
https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2019/02/04/respawns-next-game-apex-legends-to-be-revealed-this-evening/

So I gave this a quick go last night and have to say its really rather good.

It looks great, its kind of a less serious take on Titanfall. It plays very, very well (on my PS4 Pro), the Ping system works well for quickly highlighting stuff to teammates (trios is the only option at the moment), the map is massive, the 'hero' charge-ups work well , and it doesn't reek of pay-to-win.

Respawn know how to make a slick FPS and its looks very, very good.

I'm going to give this a shot tonight. I loved Titanfall 1, played it for over a year. TF2 campaign was great but I never really got into the multiplayer.

It looks like this has been a success for them so far though. They had over 1 million unique players in the first 8 hours of being available, and if Twitch is a good metric of popularity it has been #1 since launch. Most of yesterday there were over 300,000 eyes watching, overnight dipped to the 150's and now it's sitting at nearly 400,000 viewers. Most of the biggest streamers were playing it (although I don't know if they were paid to or not), Shroud, Summit, Dr. Disrespect, Ninja, Lirik, etc.

F2P was a good play, they'll have more players and probably make more money on founders pack, funny money and cosmetics sales than they ever did with selling copies of TF1/2.

Apex Legends is a terrible name for anything other then a racing game.
It makes sense within the context of Titanfall lore. Apex Predators are a mercenary group in Titanfall 2 who I believe came up with the Apex games.

Each different hero would have been an Apex mercenary going for infamy legacy.

Last edited:
It makes sense within the context of Titanfall lore. Apex Predators are a mercenary group in Titanfall 2 who I believe came up with the 'sport' of battle royale in-universe.

When you put it that way, it makes sense. Without knowing anything about the series though...it still really sucks.

Also the fact that the apex of a corner is like the last thing that's listed in the definition compared to all the other definitions that are more relatable.

upload_2019-2-6_9-45-0.png

Is anyone else finding this game difficult to get into? I've played 4 matches so far and each time I died I had no idea why. There doesn't appear to be any feedback so you can't learn from the deaths which is very frustrating as a new player. Also the tank character feels weaker than the soldier which is odd. Movement is very fluid though, even as a slower character it has a nice flow to it.

I am not a BR fan at all but something about this game is interesting me more than the others. Played for ~1 hour 30 mins yesterday and enjoyed my time with it. Might provide a nice palate cleanser from Rocket League overdose.

Also the fact that the apex of a corner is like the last thing that's listed in the definition compared to all the other definitions that are more relatable.

As a noun, it's an extension of the first definition, if we're being pedantic.

Last edited:
Not really a fan of BR games, but this one really drew me. Only problem is playing with randoms who leave everytime after they die without waiting for me to get the beacon :/ Is anyone from here playing?

Not really a fan of BR games, but this one really drew me. Only problem is playing with randoms who leave everytime after they die without waiting for me to get the beacon :/ Is anyone from here playing?

Only played a little bit so far, too busy racing. But I plan on getting into it more heavily pretty soon. Deadheadbill on ps4.

I really like it but the hackers are ruining the game. I even saw my team mate in spectator mode using aimbot and perfect tracking. And just now I got killed but by a waller...Still playing though.

If anyone is playing on PS4 send me friend requests. I'm digging the squad tactics vibe which was lacking when I played BF1 and BFV with friends. We would all roam around the same general area but it was still just running around shooting whatever shows up. It wasn't so much about tactics in moving up and positions and all that jazz. I like that stuff and this Battle Royale genre caters to it a bit more. I like the look and style more of PUBG in that it's realistic but it still looks janky. Fortnite looks childish. Apex is free so I gave it a shot and I'm really interested.

BTW APEX won, and titanfall servers will shut down shortly in 2 weeks, but still, in my opinion, the Call Of Duty Modern Warfare is one of the best multiplayer shooters ever made. I really enjoyed playing with my friends at multiplayer, and the campaign scenario was real entertainment. Right now, I am playing the Call Of Duty Warzone with my friends after introducing a new Vanguard map. Some of my friends are using different cheats https://www.iwantcheats.net/apex-legends-hacks-cheats-aimbot/ to get more weapon exp faster and win more games.

Last edited:
Back