Apparently this forum hates 2 strokes. I like them.

• Thread starter RC45
  • 14 comments
Is this the YZR500 ?.If so Padgetts YZR500 won the last Classic Isle of Mann TT.That video is awesome.Nobody is planning to build any latest tech 2 bangers so might gain the knowledge and build one myself.Not only is it this forum, but many people don't like 2 stroke motorbikes.I don't know why but i will find out.Personally i've never ridden a powerful 2 stroke sportsbike or trailbike for that matter.My opinion is this road going motorbikes or race bikes, should not be heavy and have power in abundance with good brakes and go into corners with consumate ease.With a frame etc that is made of sturdy stuff.And i'd only build 2 strokes aswell.

Last edited:
I love two strokes. My first bike was a little Yamaha 100 2 stroke. I've also had 2 Aprillia RS two strokes and where I live there are hundreds of two stroke riders.

They are a bit more maintenance than a four stroke and have a tendency to go bang if not taken care with. I love the smell they make, that burning oil smell.

I wouldn't say this forum hates the two stroke but maybe not many people have experience them.

I love two strokes. My first bike was a little Yamaha 100 2 stroke. I've also had 2 Aprillia RS two strokes and where I live there are hundreds of two stroke riders.

They are a bit more maintenance than a four stroke and have a tendency to go bang if not taken care with. I love the smell they make, that burning oil smell.

I wouldn't say this forum hates the two stroke but maybe not many people have experience them.

Actually what i said about people not liking 2 strokes is untrue.

I love 2 strokes, and depending on what the machine is, sometimes more or less than a good 4 stroke. However for what I do the engines are typically too peaky as far as power output.

The forum does not "hate" two strokes.

Out of the 8 bikes in the garage 5 of them are two strokes. They are still fun, but for serious racing applications a 4 stoke is superior.

Personally i've never ridden a powerful 2 stroke sportsbike or trailbike for that matter.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Ride both be for you make an opinion on them.

My opinion is this road going motorbikes or race bikes, should not be heavy and have power in abundance with good brakes and go into corners with consumate ease.With a frame etc that is made of sturdy stuff.And i'd only build 2 strokes aswell.

350 lbs ready to ride, over 120whp with the flattest dyno curve I have ever seen, and Brembos with Ohlins all around.

There is nothing slow or heavy about a modern supersport bike. I don't know where you got that idea but it just isn't true.

It wasn't always that way though, up until the early 2000's, 2 strokes ruled racing because they were light and had a lot of power. 4 strokes are now nearly as light and have much more power as well as superior power delivery. Anyone who has ridden anything related to them will tell you the difference is night and day.

Is this the YZR500 ?.If so Padgetts YZR500 won the last Classic Isle of Mann TT.That video is awesome.Nobody is planning to build any latest tech 2 bangers so might gain the knowledge and build one myself.Not only is it this forum, but many people don't like 2 stroke motorbikes.I don't know why but i will find out.Personally i've never ridden a powerful 2 stroke sportsbike or trailbike for that matter.My opinion is this road going motorbikes or race bikes, should not be heavy and have power in abundance with good brakes and go into corners with consumate ease.With a frame etc that is made of sturdy stuff.And i'd only build 2 strokes aswell.

No, that is me on my track bike - a YZR wannabe replica based on a very modded RZ500.

My 2 track toys.

It wasn't always that way though, up until the early 2000's, 2 strokes ruled racing because they were light and had a lot of power. 4 strokes are now nearly as light and have much more power as well as superior power delivery. Anyone who has ridden anything related to them will tell you the difference is night and day.

^^ This - and the reason is technology now allows 4t to be as knife edged as 2t BUT with new special digitally controlled management of power, traction etc. tempers this edginess.

Lighter frames, wheels & bodywork are now the norm and cheaply mass produced - the stock Honda factory alloy wheels on a 2013 CBR600RR are lighter than the genuine 1980's Marvic Magnesium GP wheels I have on my GP replica bikes.

I face the same argument with my car :) small forced induction versus large normally aspirated power.

I went with a 427ci NA V8 that delivers about 570rwhp and 530rwtq. A 2l Scoobydoo Flat4 turbo charged JDM food-mixer could probably do the same thing - but I love the torque on tap. I can pick any gear and the car is brutally fast :)

Last edited:
Here is something i found out about the RG 500 road bike, they suffer with cold and hot start problems.Would further development of the engine and direct fuel injection make this a thing of the past or am i hoping it'll work and it won't make any difference ?.

To answer the title of this thread, i like 2 strokes such as the TR750 replicas around on youtube.
Anyway i found out that the RG500 has cold & hot start problems.Do all tuned GP replicas have cold and hot start problems ?.

Last edited:
I have two very old videos of some two stroke power, from around 7 years ago..

Good old times! :D These were 'secret' meetings. We always carried some sort of protection since you never knew if you would come home with or without your bike....

Me on a 250 :sly:
14381044418_908667b46b_o.jpg

I have two very old videos of some two stroke power, from around 7 years ago..

Good old times! :D These were 'secret' meetings. We always carried some sort of protection since you never knew if you would come home with or without your bike....

Me on a 250 :sly:
14381044418_908667b46b_o.jpg

Hi Carlos, just a curious question for you.What was the RS250 like to live with mate ?.As i 've never ridden a powerful stroker before let alone a 2 stroke sports bike.

Hi Carlos, just a curious question for you.What was the RS250 like to live with mate ?.As i 've never ridden a powerful stroker before let alone a 2 stroke sports bike.

I have only ridden it a few times so I'm not that experienced on it but I will try to compare it to my RS50. It had 80cc cylinder, exhaust, race ignition, 24mm carb and other little things, it was not the slowest. Biggest difference was low to medium rev power. It's enough to get you from A to B. I didn't feel the need to shift down too much, even with overtaking cars. When you go into the classic and lovely powerband you really feel it accelerating, it's faster than people would expect. Strongest point of the bike I think is the cornering. I didn't go flat or anything but it feels so light and well balanced :) Oh and the sound!!

Personally I would only buy a 250 as a second bike, for those special occasions.. I think the clutches go pretty fast on these screamers since I've helped my mate change his two times in only a few months. Shortly after the photo of me on it was taken, it was converted to race spec.
1006343_639442522755341_398304445_n.jpg

Photo stolen from his Facebook :P

Unfortunately he doesn't race it anymore, I'm not even sure he still has it.. He got a small accident with mountainbiking but heavily damaged his shoulder. He is out of the game for over two years now. I frequently joined his racing trips and one time to Spa we even took my little 80cc bike with us. It was not a pretty sight anymore since I was turning 18 soon and pretty much took all life out of it :P but I have this photo:
15542890971_793d030016_c.jpg

It was very useful since I could take photos all over Spa with only little travel time.

One last nostalgia photo:
14924824554_d97c17045c_c.jpg

I don't see any cool mopeds on the road these days. Only scooters, 4 stroke mostly.. Not even Kreidlers or Zundapps....

I love 2 strokes. My first bike was a Cagiva Supercity. 125 2-stroke, 33bhp and a 7 speed gearbox. Was totally awesome.

How about 2t trailbikes? I have an old DT175, so much fun to thrash around and rev the ring out of!

Back