Arcade driving online??

RaySirX
Tonight I online raced f1ce for the first time and it was cool and all that but all the fast drivers used the same style of driving and it seems really arcade to me. Now I give them credit for going fast and learning how to do it, but they all drive the cars rally style!!

Going into the corners it was always locked tires and loads of smoke. I guess they can brake later with that style but it seemed cartoonish. We were at Bahrain and at least one guy was turning a couple of 1'31+ laps driving that way. My normal best is around 1'33.

This game becomes a lot less fun for me if fast times are made using rally driving. I wondered if they are actually using parking brake turns??? I wouldnt be surprised. Oh well.

Its not "rally driving" and its not them locking their brakes, the smoke from competitors is caused by lag, when a car lags or the server lags, all other cars appear to powerslide around the track constantly.
Its a minor error that you just have to put up with and I'm guessing its something that the developer couldn't easily fix otherwise it would have been fixed via patch a while ago (theres no way this kind of error could have got through testing, unless they were unable to completely fix it or if its intentional).

Thats an interesting angle on what I saw. So in your opinion are the rubber marks left behind on the track, and that stay there for the whole race, also just a lag error?

Yeah it's just crap they programmed into online. They are driving the same as you most likely. Your car will look like it is throwing up smoke all the time too.

Thats an interesting angle on what I saw. So in your opinion are the rubber marks left behind on the track, and that stay there for the whole race, also just a lag error?

Yes, I'm guessing they programmed it this way to alert players to the lag surrounding other players, so they could be careful around them (because of the bubble effect, where they can be hit from quite a distance away, the lag causes collision detection to be boosted quite a bit).
Its basically a quick solution to the lag-bubble problem, they probably didn't or couldn't spend the development time on the network code to get the online collision detection and positioning truly accurate, which just goes to show how much effort Polyphony have put into theirs really, because I don't doubt Studio Liverpool likely spent a lot of work on this online mode just to get it working (considering it was one of the first PS3 titles).

As Sumpington said, they are probably racing exactly like you are, its just because of the way its been programmed, it doesn't look that way.

I appreciate the answers. Seriously. For one thing it means I can stop trying to perfect my intentional version of the lag-powerslide effect... those are five hours of my life I'll never get back. Doh!

Tonight I online raced f1ce for the first time and it was cool and all that but all the fast drivers used the same style of driving and it seems really arcade to me. Now I give them credit for going fast and learning how to do it, but they all drive the cars rally style!!

Going into the corners it was always locked tires and loads of smoke. I guess they can brake later with that style but it seemed cartoonish. We were at Bahrain and at least one guy was turning a couple of 1'31+ laps driving that way. My normal best is around 1'33.

This game becomes a lot less fun for me if fast times are made using rally driving. I wondered if they are actually using parking brake turns??? I wouldnt be surprised. Oh well.

Ardius is correct in what he says , our league members of F1CE have said this before , you appear to be driving at a good pace , but the guy in front / back of you appears to be driving on the edge ( in your eyes ) , but ( in his eyes ) , you are the one driving it up to the limit , it's just a gaming glitch thing.Something to remember here , if you pay attention to the " black marks " on the track, you can actually use these as driving aids as well , if you read them correctly.

Back