arcade/simulation game save confusion in GT1...

• Thread starter zaide
  • 19 comments
hi, i've been reading through this forum for some time but this is the first time i post, anyways after completing GT4 i jumped back to GT1 (for the first time, i recently got it) and im confused about something...

i read somewhere else that apparently there is a problem saving arcade mode and simulation mode on the same memory card, (i.e saving in arcade mode overwrites sim mode and viceversa?) so for this, the guy lost 2 nice cars or whatever, i didnt really get it

so whats the deal with this? i havent touched arcade mode yet...
someone even suggested getting a second memory card only for arcade mode saves, so your sim mode progress (or viceversa) wont be affected every time you save but i find this a bit stupid, is there a 'right' way to save? i dont want to screw this up..sorry if its a lil confusing, any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Hi Zaide, welcome to GTP. I'm not sure about the specifics but I beleive that you will overwrite the game save if you save from the other version to the same card. Have you tried searching the GT1 forum?

I've never heard of this before. Can't really help, either, I've never even touched GT1 arcade. This might be a qustion for SportWagon.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, a simulation 'save' saves the arcade data too I believe and vice versa. Either way I'm near certain you won't loose any data, atleast I don't remember having any issues and I completed both simulation and arcade. :)

T5-R
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, a simulation 'save' saves the arcade data too I believe and vice versa. Either way I'm near certain you won't loose any data, atleast I don't remember having any issues and I completed both simulation and arcade. :)

That's what I thought too. It doesn't make sense that if you save in one mode it erases data in another. I'm pretty sure if this were the case, I would have heard of this glitch by now.

Last edited:
T5-R

Same here; just like GT3 amd GT4, just save away to keep your progress in either mode. GT2 has two disks, just go to the Main "Save" area to save your progress.

Oh, and GT1's Arcade Mode on Difficulty: Hard is the absolute best of all the GT games. What it lacks in cars, int makes up for with ruthless AI that actaully races you (i.e. speeds up to catch you at times). You also have to complete in different classes of cars to unlock more cars and tracks.

You will not overwrite any Simulation Mode data in any version, as far as I know.

T5-R
That is correct.

It only becomes a "problem" if you "start" a "new" Arcade Game (i.e. with no card inserted) and try to save its progress to a pre-existing "save" (with simulation data), thinking that the two save portions will be kept separate. The saves do not work like that. (In a sense this would "overwrite simulation data", but it will actually warn you so, sort of).

But if you always load "your game" (combined simulation and arcade) when starting to play, you should be alright. And can save all your progress in both modes by saving in either mode.

SportWagon
That is correct.

It only becomes a "problem" if you "start" a "new" Arcade Game (i.e. with no card inserted) and try to save its progress to a pre-existing "save" (with simulation data), thinking that the two save portions will be kept separate. The saves do not work like that. (In a sense this would "overwrite simulation data", but it will actually warn you so, sort of).

But if you always load "your game" (combined simulation and arcade) when starting to play, you should be alright. And can save all your progress in both modes by saving in either mode.

That's what I was remembering, I knew there was a way to 'overwrite' the sim data and vice versa.

I never heard of this issue. I have the first version of the game and never experienced such a problem. I agree with Sportwagon's statement. Just make sure your data is loaded BEFORE you take any actions.

There is one situation when you can wipe your GT mode after completing arcade mode.
If you start a new game from a demo disc, then insert your GT disc, (this allows gold license passes for bronze times). If you then complete arcade mode all your GT mode data will be gone.

Uncle Harry
There is one situation when you can wipe your GT mode after completing arcade mode.
If you start a new game from a demo disc, then insert your GT disc, (this allows gold license passes for bronze times). If you then complete arcade mode all your GT mode data will be gone.

Interesting.

You got a Demo disc of GT1 PB?

Put the demo disc in to start, after it has loaded and you have driven part of the demo race, Swap the demo disc for your GT1 Disc.
It may take several attempts to load, go to the license menu and you will notice that there are no Bronze, Silver or Gold times as there normally is.
Set a pass time and even if it is bronze you will get the gold medal and prize car for doing all the tests.
If you have Pal game you can see the NTSC cars as well.
Save to a memory card after doing the tests and you can then continue playing as normal.
I did this to get the 4 colours for the Skyline prize car and then bought them from the memory card to my normal game save.
If you complete arcade mode to 100% on the dodgy memory card save then you loose the Simulation mode stats.

Hmm. You do say "4 colours of Skyline prize car", so its seems you must be talking about GT1.

Is this with a modified console? PS1 or PS2? Otherwise I'm surprised swapping disks allows you to continue at all.

My GT1 demo is part of a demo disk that came with my original PSX. ("Underground" I think). I think I also have the same demo (two lap arcade race on Clubman, with NSX, Corvette, or Impreza Rally Car) on some Playstation Magazine demo disks, but I may have given all those away. I did somehow manage to get the Underground disk with the download for a partially complete GT1 game, with cheated Arcade completion and licenses, and lots of cars in the garage.

I do vaguely remember once using a GameShark Pro to change the in-memory G.T.Gold and G.T.Silver record times to high values to make for easy beating. It sounds like what you depends on something similar, and might be with a GameShark Pro even easier than setting to high values.

(But I did eventually get my four 400R's legitimately--well if you count reusing the seven-gold card multiple times and buying the prizes back into the desired game as legitimate).

What exactly did Arcade Completion then wipe out?

The banker never wears a Mac, in the pouring rain...

Uncle Harry
You got a Demo disc of GT1 PB?

Put the demo disc in to start, after it has loaded and you have driven part of the demo race, Swap the demo disc for your GT1 Disc.
It may take several attempts to load, go to the license menu and you will notice that there are no Bronze, Silver or Gold times as there normally is.
Set a pass time and even if it is bronze you will get the gold medal and prize car for doing all the tests.
If you have Pal game you can see the NTSC cars as well.
Save to a memory card after doing the tests and you can then continue playing as normal.
I did this to get the 4 colours for the Skyline prize car and then bought them from the memory card to my normal game save.
If you complete arcade mode to 100% on the dodgy memory card save then you loose the Simulation mode stats.

No, I don't have the demo. I'm also one of those diehards who has to get all golds with his own thumbs...tho I never attempted to get A or IA all golds. B was tough enuff!

Last edited:
IA all golds is actually regarded by most people as easier than A all golds.

Mostly because of A-4 (Skyline at Trial Mountain).

IA all golds might even be easier than B all golds; it took me a long time to get B-3.

It was in a stock standard PS1.
I think I had 3 demo discs that worked. (One came with the PS1, one was a GT1 demo from a magazine and the other was a demo from PS1 best games or something).
I had allready completed gold licenses the legite way.
Once the ending movie runs for completing arcade all the Simulation GT gets wiped. It resorts back to the start of a new game at day 1.

It cant work for GT2 because arcade and sim are on 2 discs.

Never had a demo of GT3 or 4 to test but because the 3 levels of license pass are not shown in the records I dont think it would work.

So you swap the disks while the race is still going on on the screen?

So when the race finishes (or you exit) after swapping disks it manages to load the race completion screen from the real game instead of the demo? It's absolutely amazing that would work.

This PAL GT1 demo does take place in Arcade Mode, like the North American one, doesn't it?

SportWagon
IA all golds is actually regarded as most people as easier than A all golds.

Mostly because of A-4 (Skyline at Trial Mountain).

IA all golds might even be easier than B all golds; it took me a long time to get B-3.

B3 is downrite frightening. It starts off seeming so easy, too. After I got all B's i was pretty disappointed with the concept car.

Last edited:
SportWagon
So you swap the disks while the race is still going on on the screen?

So when the race finishes (or you exit) after swapping disks it manages to load the race completion screen from the real game instead of the demo? It's absolutely amazing that would work.

This PAL GT1 demo does take place in Arcade Mode, like the North American one, doesn't it?

Yes, just swap the discs after the race has started. It looks like an arcade race mode demo.

I read in a playstation magazine years ago that you could look at the NTSC garage cars by the swapping disc procedure. So I tried it and found out it worked.
I went one step further and looked at the license section as well and noticed no entries for gold, silver or bronze. I did a test and noticed a pass time went to the top gold position. The rest followed from there.

It would appear that there is quite a bit of info on the Demo disc that is loaded into the PS1 memory and then unlocked when you swap the discs over.

Back