Are all the threads here so serious?

• Thread starter Mr.Slow
  • 5 comments
I know that GT Academy would be a dream come true for most people here. And with the prize that is a stake rightly so.

But it seems to me that those of us who are doing the events more for the fun of it (and maybe bragging rights amongst friends) are conspicuously absent from this sub forum.

I don't mean to take anything away from those who are doing this as a possible career choice, I wish them all the luck in the world. I just would like to see some more light hearted threads.

Maybe those threads have no place here (you tell me), but I'd like to see a 'too-fitty club' thread, for those of us whose abilities and time availability don't allow us to dream past making it to the top 250 in our region.

Cheers,

It may just be that the event simply isn't as popular this year as it was in years past, so it is only attracting the attention (for the most part) of the hard core players on GTP who will take part in it regardless.

I don't have anything substantive to back that up, but I know this is the first time since 2010 that I'm not really interested in doing it; and interest in general in GT6 is downright pitiful compared to what it was around the same time in 2011 for GT5, and there's no way that wouldn't affect overall interest in a GT6 event. There's certainly nothing outright against what you're describing, since in years past that brevity was frequent with casual time sharing threads and tips and the like (last year was huge, and 2010 was as well; since they both marked the introduction of new full games); but that's my hypothesis at least.

Yes and No. That is the point.

Oh! I got the point alright, Mr. Slow - :) - if you had the privilege of chatting with me IRL or via PS3 you would know that right away for I'm more easy to read when you hear the smile in my voice.

But let me go on:

We don't get paid for writing this stuff.
In fact, more often than not we end up for our efforts being called arses by those protected by distance and flat panels, and crowned with special immunity by virtue of being wedded to worthless virtual titles bestowed on them.
Dare we talk about other games that are improving with every issue? Or as a matter of fact, any truth that goes against the policy of GT worship with reverence to nothing else?

Gran Turismo is suffering from a change that bodes no good for its future as an immersive video game, and itself seems to be protected financially now with no dependency on the players it once lived on.
I already wrote on that - on the Enigma in Motion that is the Gran Turismo Series.

The car companies now lead Kaz around by the gold ring in his nose - the game becoming nothing but a marketing/recruiting tool daring to hold us by our very addiction to all things automotive - and nothing more.
It has further become a platform for dreamers that are encouraged to think that pushing the pixels around as fast as they can will make up for the education they lay aside in spending time and effort more often not chasing an idle deam; they lay aside an education, that will take them to jobs and income, that is a lot more sure than trying to beat some finger-footed adept who will eventually beat them by .001 second.

Take what you would do with the game - start out with practically nothing and work your way through the game earning credits and cars and levelling up while bringng all that information here to inspire us, telling us what you would do in storybook form.
Or me, myself, that played the last iteration almost all the way to the end without even once updating the original game tryng to make it more of a challenge by only playing the offline game ignoting all bones thrown at me by the producer of this game (who has now sacrificed the vision he once had for the vision of the chosen few that hold the holy dollar in the highest esteem.)

We do these things because Gran Turismo has lost its original pizzazz.
It holds our interest now by dint of graphics, quantity of cars and dubious handling, at best, but only because no other game seems to have taken away as yet the crown it once wore so proudly, a crown that is now definitely askew.
Losing that crown is only a matter of time.
When even die-hard fans like you and me begin to lose faith in what the game once promised we begin to cast our beliefs in it aside. Having 'GT' alone in its title is not going to hold us, and will only be good enough for the dogs that Kaz has tied up in his backyard - the ones he throws those ocassional bones at so they will bark up the trees that he alone wishes to shake.

And, yes, MR. Slow - I agree with you - the barking is now so loud and so very, very serious that it has drowned out the childlike joy we were once inspired with via this game - the joy that matters no more to Kaz, who has now blinded himself with the the smoke and mirrors he has created for dreamers.

GT now stands for Ghostly Trials. Seriously. :)

And, yes, MR. Slow - I agree with you - the barking is now so loud and so very, very serious that it has drowned out the childlike joy we were once inspired with via this game -

Yes! that is what I am talking about :-)

For example, this morning I got up as usual but instead of reading the papers or going to the gym I did some laps for the final qualifier. A few minutes into it my 5 year old came into the room with a writing book and a pencil. She wanted help with the spelling of some words. She didn't want me to stop playing "I like watching you play". So her solution was simple: Sit on my lap so I can help her with the spelling whilst I try to improve my time 👍

For the next 10 minutes or so I drove and she wrote a little story about Daddy winning the race. As I took slow corners I helped spell "race car driver", it almost came out "lace car diver" because,well, spelling is a bit harder to do whilst trail braking :lol:

On the last lap I was on course to improve my personal best until the last two corners. She was sitting on my left knee which was getting tired from balancing a 22 kg little person, so the inevitable happened… i locked the brakes… no PB for me. We sat on the floor and read the story, then we drew the racing car with me inside and big block letters DADDY.

After she left the room I whipped 3 quick laps and set a new PB :D

Back