Are Comfort Soft tire better in the rain than Sports hard?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chiochan
  • 7 comments
  • 5,141 views
Messages
2,000
United States
Syracuse NEW YORK
Messages
ChuthuluGoat
I was racing with my buddies in a 380 pp ff race with 100% rain on track. We were using sports hard tires. I had an idea to try Comfort Softs just to see what it would be like in the rain, and I gained 6 seconds per lap on HSR. Anyone else find this to be true? I imagine with more pp the effect is less noticeable. Thoughts?
 
Yes.

Racing slicks give very little grip.

Sports semi-slicks give slightly more.

Comfort road tyres give even better grip.

Think of it like that and it makes sense. Road tyres have more tread than sports tyres. However racing rain and intermediate are much better than CS.
 
Absolutely yes! The cross over point when they become faster is in the 30-40% range regarding surface water.


👍
 
Yes.

Racing slicks give very little grip.

Sports semi-slicks give slightly more.

Comfort road tyres give even better grip.

Think of it like that and it makes sense. Road tyres have more tread than sports tyres. However racing rain and intermediate are much better than CS.

This is true. I'll just add that it makes a much more substantial difference if "Grip Reduction" is set to "real." I'm not exactly sure how it works with all of the different tires on "low," but racing softs and probably mediums are actually better than rain tires on that setting(which includes all of the offline A-Spec races).
 
Of course, slicks have less grooves and thus they're worse in the rain than comfort which are designed to be like normal road tyres at least to some degree.

Naturally road tyres are better than slicks in the wet 👍
 
It's similar to how you could game the old "special" B-Spec Seasonals from last year by just putting S3 tires on whatever car you gave Bob instead of the R1 tires everyone else had. You would be only slightly slower in the dry, but once it started raining he would walk away from the field.
 
Thanks for the info guys, and thanks VBR for the change over ratio. I always use "real grip" and mostly comfort and sports tires. This has sparked a new interest in low pp street car racing in the rain for me!
 
Thanks for the info guys, and thanks VBR for the change over ratio. I always use "real grip" and mostly comfort and sports tires. This has sparked a new interest in low pp street car racing in the rain for me!

Good for you 👍 they can certainly be a lot of fun!
 
Back