Are Gran Turismo's 1-4 worth getting?

• Thread starter NateC
  • 12 comments
Austria
Austria
Hi all. :) I'm new one here. I joined to this forum just to get some info about Gran Turismo games. The thing is: I'm making youtube channel,and I recorded videos from over 12 racing video games. And.. I played Gran Turismo few times,but I forgot how it was to play one (I played it 10 years ago). I just want to know: are Gran Turismo's 1-4 worth getting? Are they hard to pass,compared to f.e. Race Driver: GRID (which was pretty easy game for me,even on very hard)? Most of racing games which I played were .. 1st April's joke. I wanna play something more challenging. I don't like driving simulations like NFS Shift series,I'm kinda more arcade guy.. but I do like things like: GRID 1 and 2,GRID Autosport,DIRT series.. I really don't like games in which car is steering very very slow and in which you need to break 20 miles to stop your car. So.. if anyone has suggestions for racing games for PC and PSX/PS2 emulators,please let me know. :)

I was gonna say yes, but it looks like you're looking for more flashy racing. No, not in your case.

I'll suggest the Burnout series as a possibility, Burnout 3 still holds it's own today.

It's not hard, try finding many with it. Most racing ones I've found have two or three issues.

1) You can hear every click of their wheel setup.

2) Commentary, if attempted, usually puts Ben Stein to sleep.

3) They take themselves too seriously. Lighten the F up!

That aside, the whole racing genre is generally mocked by all, and only Mario Kart seems to escape it, probably because Nintendo.

Yes, but the problem is getting others to watch, and keep watching. That is something a simulator generally doesn't do, unless it's being done by someone who can grab peoples attention.

Last edited:
Hey, NateC! I'm a (marginally, vaguely, slightly) successful up-and-coming YouTuber, and I have sage wisdom to offer.
Exactly what game you are playing on YouTube doesn't really matter (unless you just want clickbait), if you want people to watch your videos, you must:
  • Act within your limits (Don't try and be the world's most amazing and interesting person if you're not) Know yourself, and know how other people will see you.
  • Have semi-decent equipment - my :censored:house webcam has caused me much pain in the past, and ruined an otherwise awful review of a Rugby game. A lot of people will leave in the first few seconds of your video based on how awful the potato that you're recording your TV with is.
  • No obnoxious intros! Nobody, in the entire world wants to see 20 dramatic, Adobe Premier-produced seconds of your YouTube channel name exploding or some 🤬, it's even worse than an ad.
  • Find a game that you can enjoy playing and making videos of: I used to do RC Revenge Pro and GT4 videos, RC Revenge Pro got incredibly boring after a while, and GT4 while fun to play, was a chore to make videos of.
  • The majority of viewers will watch videos from uploaders they don't know based on the thumbnail of the video, a good thumbnail is VITAL
  • Make good videos and be lucky - there's no surefire way to attract an audience on YouTube, keep your expectations nailed to the floor, as for an indefinite amount of time, I can virtually guarantee that any video you upload will be lost under the endless, monstrous sea of bad Minecraft LPs, until you get that one freak hit, which may or may not happen, but...
  • It doesn't matter if you never get the view count you want, unless YouTube is your primary income source, which is not something you should ever have to worry about. Personally, I make videos because I enjoy making them, and if you don't enjoy making videos you shouldn't make any, as it takes a huge amount of commitment to make enjoyable videos for a long period of time.
N.B. Keep the emulator talk on the down-low, or Famine will skin you alive :)

Last edited:
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES :)

........Waiting..................
.................Waiting...................
......Waiting.......................

WHY HAVENT YOU BOUGHT THEM YET!?

:lol:

As for 1-3 I'd say no and I love those titles, but you kind of have to approach these from the standpoint of nostalgia.

If your goal is to fully complete these games you may be in for a rude awakening as these are quite challenging due to the tough AI and hard to control physics (bounce bounce bounce bounce).

These titles are worth checking out but I wouldn't recommend them if you are a completionist and have never played them before.

I still fire up GT1 just to hear the menu music, I really love the old GT1 music, it brings me back.

As a Gran Turismo veteran and as a blogger, let me help sway your interest, NateC. By the way, welcome to GTPlanet. I think if you care anything about the history of Gran Turismo and want to know how far we've come since, GT1 through GT4 are definitely worth playing/getting.

* Gran Turismo 1 still sort of resonates with me as the best of all GT titles. This is even if the ratio of Japanese cars to American and British cars is overwhelming, and even if the graphics are outdated compared to today's graphic standards. And then, there's always the appeal of completing race cars by giving the good old Racing Modification.

* Gran Turismo 2- to me, is the worst of GT1-GT4. However, you can't fault or hate on GT2 for cars or tracks. You got a world of cars with you as well as the debut of rally racing. This game was really the first of the GT titles to truly be an "encyclopedia of cars." The action also included faster and more powerful cars than most of GT1's offerings.

* Gran Turismo 3 lacked a lot of the cars that comprised GT2's lineup, but many of the makes themselves returned. Oh, and don't forget GT now looks much prettier with PS2 power and a lot of cars being re-made and re-modeled. Faster cars and longer races are now part of the equation. It also was the first GT to feature weather effects for track (wet course of Special Stage Route 5) as well as the first GT to feature Formula 1 cars.

* And then... there's Gran Turismo 4. When I joined GTPlanet in 2003, I was looking for GT4 news. An extremely complete makeover of Gran Turismo was made in GT4. Many more cars worldwide with the debut of Le Mans Prototypes and "Special Cars" filled the car roster. On the track front, this game actually has the most diverse profile of tracks as far as real-world locations are concerned. It's also the first time you get to race Le Mans (Circuit de la Sarthe) and the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Despite all of this, the most controversial element was B-Spec. People thought this feature allowed the game play itself for you. And of course with GT5 and GT6, a lot of the cars are from GT4. So you get to use these cars in their GT4 state before GT5 and GT6 made them available granted you had the money, and granted you find them in the Used lot in GT5.

So absolutely- pick up GT1 through GT4 for nostalgia's sake and to live out the history of the Gran Turismo series heading up to this point.

Back